Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riots over cop killing a man begging for his life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post
    A lot of looting going on too, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the protests other than it being an opportune moment for some.
    There are always opportunists.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      There are always opportunists.
      The economic situation across the country is a powder keg. Every single incident like this will spark it off and the MSM will surely capitalize on it (which is sadly how these things play out -- as trends), which is why the MSM will be culpable, arguably even complicit in all this.

Comment

The economic situation across the country is a powder keg. Every single incident like this will spark it off and the MSM will surely capitalize on it (which is sadly how these things play out -- as trends), which is why the MSM will be culpable, arguably even complicit in all this.
        Then the police should consider reforming themselves.

Comment

Never gonna happen, mainly because most cops don't snitch on the bad cops. Apparently this guy had a history of aggressive behavior. Obviously all the other cops knew about it but said nothing, including Klobuchar apparently, the prosecutor at the time. IOW, it's a systemic thing.

Comment

Never gonna happen, mainly because most cops don't snitch on the bad cops. Apparently this guy had a history of aggressive behavior. Obviously all the other cops knew about it but said nothing, including Klobuchar apparently, the prosecutor at the time. IOW, it's a systemic thing.
            Then I don't think we should consider the riots surprising, it is perfectly reasonable to riot in a situation like that and show your dissattisfaction.

Comment

A lot of looting going on too, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the protests other than it being an opportune moment for some.
              And it's alleged that a number of the bad actors aren't even residents, and have come in just to riot. They are stealing the spotlight from the peaceful demonstrations that are going on.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think when something like this happens - an absolute clear violation of training protocols and common decency - that the chief (or sheriff) should lose his job and his commission.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  This has been a recurring point among those with law enforcement experience. That no department teaches this type of submission hold.
                  Someone I know in the Marines said they teach that hold. Was this guy an ex-Marine?

I still think that was very wrong, but I wonder if there is a background with the Marines and PTSD that might have aggravated the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    Someone I know in the Marines said they teach that hold. Was this guy an ex-Marine?

I still think that was very wrong, but I wonder if there is a background with the Marines and PTSD that might have aggravated the situation.
                    CNN gives some info about him, including EIGHTEEN complaints against him with Internal Affairs, only two of which here closed by discipline, and at least one other troublesome officer at the scene.

Chauvin was not the only officer on the scene that day with a history of complaints against him.
                    Former officer Tou Thao had six complaints filed with internal affairs, one of which was still open, according to the public summary released Thursday. The other five complaints had been closed without discipline.

Chauvin and Floyd were bouncers at the same night club, but I don't know if they knew each other, or worked there at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

I'm finding lots of similar "backgrounds" on Chauvin, none of which mention anything about military service. I'd thin that'd be out there by now.

Comment

Here's a question. He was charged with murder, right? My understanding was that for something to be murder, it has to be premeditated--there is little indication the cop was actually trying to kill him. Wouldn't this be manslaughter? Or is this a case of trying to frontload charges so they don't have to go below manslaughter in a plea bargain?

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                          Here's a question. He was charged with murder, right? My understanding was that for something to be murder, it has to be premeditated--there is little indication the cop was actually trying to kill him. Wouldn't this be manslaughter? Or is this a case of trying to frontload charges so they don't have to go below manslaughter in a plea bargain?
                          I heard that in that state reckless disregard for human life is murder 3.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            I heard that in that state reckless disregard for human life is murder 3.
                            Oh--really?

If that's the case, then I guess that answers that question.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              That's the thing. People are rioting over "nothing being done", but all four officers were fired even without an investigation, the guy's been arrested... what more do they want? Putting every police officer in front of a firing squad?
                              Probably because Chauvin wasn't arrested immediately like anyone else in that situation (which everyone saw) would have been. Had they arrested him imediately it may have kept things calm but because this has been, so I understand, an ongoing problem within the Minniapolis police Dept. with nothing being done to the officers involved, and apparently to Chauvin himself in multiple such incidents, the community was bound to erupt. That's my guess. I think if they had arrested him immediately they may have averted this. Not that I'm condoning the actions of the hooligans within the protests, but they always show up and take advantage of the situation, and they should be locked up themselves.

Comment

... Combine that with the fact that a lot of cops- when it's legal for them to do so- are unionized, and unions have an unfortunate reputation of protecting the bad workers more than the good, any attempt to initiate reform and accountability is Bound to Have a Bad Time.
                                Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment