Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What is the MSM?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    I think Ronson and Sparko had the best explanations. Of course, if these networks are owned by just a few corporate megaliths, then it stands to reason the corporate heads would have some influence about what gets reported, as opposed to just independent journalism. Why would a corporate megalith want to own a news network anyway? Is it that profitable of a business to do so?
    Haha. The profits are not obtained through the journalism/media business itself. The gains have to be obtained through their other investments or in their direct influence on politicians (pushing policies and ideas through the media) ... and the media influence on politicians (to speak well or badly of such politicians). The emphasis is on control of the public's views. I wish more people could learn this concept.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-01-2020 at 12:44 PM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Haha. The profits are not obtained through the journalism/media business itself. The gains have to be obtained through their other investments or in their direct influence on politicians (pushing policies and ideas through the media) ... and the media influence on politicians (to speak well or badly of such politicians). The emphasis is on control of the public's views. I wish more people could learn this concept.
    Do you guys ever ask yourselves how you became such conspiracy theorists? It wouldn't matter to you if the media was spot on in any instance, if they didn't report what you want to hear you would believe it's a vast conspiracy, that every journalist is unethical and report only what the masters tell them to report. That would be the kind of media that Trump would like, which is why he tells you not to believe what you hear or read, but to just believe him.

Department Head
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is what the MSM is not showing you during this time

I bet there are more scenes like that you can find from your local news outlets. Rather then except the false views that All cops are bad, All Blacks are criminals and America is a racist country why don't we see the truth that America is built on the view that we should all respect the Individual and that there are good cops there are blacks who are not criminals stop letting those who want to divide America for what ever reason win. Tell them it won't work because America was not built to suppress certain people or to make others priviledge it was built to show that as humans we are equal and deserve equal opportunity, equal Justice no matter what race, creed color etc....
    Last edited by RumTumTugger; 06-01-2020 at 03:44 PM.

4. Amen seanD, Ronson, Cow Poke, mossrose amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Do you guys ever ask yourselves how you became such conspiracy theorists? It wouldn't matter to you if the media was spot on in any instance, if they didn't report what you want to hear you would believe it's a vast conspiracy, that every journalist is unethical and report only what the masters tell them to report. That would be the kind of media that Trump would like, which is why he tells you not to believe what you hear or read, but to just believe him.
    The things that convince me most are those that are evidence based. At some point, things that were only theories become well-proven facts. Of course there are things like the JFK assassination where the facts are harder to establish. There are alien theories which seem unconvincing. The flat-earth claims seem unconvincing, but I would like to try experiments with gyro stabilized platforms to see what the results are.

The thing now is that most of what conspiracy investigators could expect in the world is happening -- even if we get a return to some level of normalcy and freedom. We have people willingly (or fearfully) giving up their freedom to work, play, travel and get medical treatment. We have governors who claim to have the power to take away our rights. We have media that promotes fear every day. We have financial ruin happening for a good number of people across the world. We are told to wear masks -- no wait -- masks are not normally needed. We have estimates that 2million could die -- no wait -- Ferguson's calculations could not be verified.

It is pretty true that the MSM could be spot on and that I might not trust it. This is due to a long history of misinformation from the mainstream media. I was seeing CNN headlines for a year or so after Trump became President. Their headlines were always about how badly Trump has acted. I did not see much of any normal, useful news. I think the mainstream media has a lot of work to do if it wants to be trusted again. They need to show where corporations act illegally or underhandedly. They need to expose scoundrel politicians whether they be Republicans, Democrats, Independents or any other group. The media needs to stop fomenting violence and only praising revolutionist factions.

I don't care that much of what Trump says. During his coronavirus era, it seemed like he was cautious about the information he was getting. Then later it seemed he trusted criminals such as Fauci and Birx.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-01-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    This is what the MSM is not showing you during this time

I bet there are more scenes like that you can find from your local news outlets. Rather then except the false views that All cops are bad, All Blacks are criminals and America is a racist country why don't we see the truth that America is built on the view that we should all respect the Individual and that there are good cops there are blacks who are not criminals stop letting those who want to divide America for what ever reason win. Tell them it won't work because America was not built to suppress certain people or to make others priviledge it was built to show that as humans we are equal and deserve equal opportunity, equal Justice no matter what race, creed color etc....
    My favorite scene is where a group of protesters tackle an Antifa vandal.

I recall an interview about 8 or 9 years ago when a "free Syria" fighter was talking about overthrowing Assad. He said there were several groups working and fighting alongside each other toward that common goal. But they didn't want anything to do with a strange group of foreign extremists who had entered the fray (this later turned out to be ISIS). He said they were afraid of being shot in the back by these people because they were radicals and had some hidden agenda.

That's the same way Antifa is hijacking the Floyd protests. They are being spotted now because (like in Syria) they are a strange group of radicals with a different agenda. They don't want reform, they want chaos and bloodshed.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's not a conspiracy. Cenk Ugyar, the king of progressives, talked about his experience working for MSNBC and why they fired him because he got a bit too critical of Obama and democratic establishment. It's just common sense. The problem is you don't know the difference between a real CONSPIRACY THEORY and just common business operations. A news network is a business. If a corporation owns a news network, they're going to see that that network follows protocols they want and expect; protocols that the CEO heads feel are the most profitable and/or advantageous to their bottom line. Not a conspiracy, doofus, business 101.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    My favorite scene is where a group of protesters tackle an Antifa vandal.

I recall an interview about 8 or 9 years ago when a "free Syria" fighter was talking about overthrowing Assad. He said there were several groups working and fighting alongside each other toward that common goal. But they didn't want anything to do with a strange group of foreign extremists who had entered the fray (this later turned out to be ISIS). He said they were afraid of being shot in the back by these people because they were radicals and had some hidden agenda.

That's the same way Antifa is hijacking the Floyd protests. They are being spotted now because (like in Syria) they are a strange group of radicals with a different agenda. They don't want reform, they want chaos and bloodshed.
    My favorite antifa incident was back at (IIRC) Berkeley a couple years ago when one of them lost his mask and went running back to his buddies -- only to get sprayed in the face with bear mace because they didn't recognize him without his mask on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

9. Amen Ronson amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Because most national news reporting, CNN, Fox, etc., is a little news with a lot of opinion. They seem to trying to be taking a couple facts and then spinning them to the result they want.

I am much more trusting of my local news. They seem to be more just reporting the facts.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    While I largely agree with people's definition here, it just seems that MSM is used almost exclusively about "leftist" media. While others are considered exempt.

For instance, people cite Breitbart and Fox News commentaries and report here, without any accusations about them being MSM.

12. Amen Whateverman amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    While I largely agree with people's definition here, it just seems that MSM is used almost exclusively about "leftist" media. While others are considered exempt.
    I think the argument for that is that the MSM was thought, at one time, as being at least somewhat balanced, but they have become WAY left. Which is why other sources popped up.

For instance, people cite Breitbart and Fox News commentaries and report here, without any accusations about them being MSM.
    Those sources are becoming "mainstream", yes, but the reference is to the "old guard".
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”