Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is the MSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Do you guys ever ask yourselves how you became such conspiracy theorists? It wouldn't matter to you if the media was spot on in any instance, if they didn't report what you want to hear you would believe it's a vast conspiracy, that every journalist is unethical and report only what the masters tell them to report. That would be the kind of media that Trump would like, which is why he tells you not to believe what you hear or read, but to just believe him.
    It's not a conspiracy. Cenk Ugyar, the king of progressives, talked about his experience working for MSNBC and why they fired him because he got a bit too critical of Obama and democratic establishment. It's just common sense. The problem is you don't know the difference between a real CONSPIRACY THEORY and just common business operations. A news network is a business. If a corporation owns a news network, they're going to see that that network follows protocols they want and expect; protocols that the CEO heads feel are the most profitable and/or advantageous to their bottom line. Not a conspiracy, doofus, business 101.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      My favorite scene is where a group of protesters tackle an Antifa vandal.

I recall an interview about 8 or 9 years ago when a "free Syria" fighter was talking about overthrowing Assad. He said there were several groups working and fighting alongside each other toward that common goal. But they didn't want anything to do with a strange group of foreign extremists who had entered the fray (this later turned out to be ISIS). He said they were afraid of being shot in the back by these people because they were radicals and had some hidden agenda.

That's the same way Antifa is hijacking the Floyd protests. They are being spotted now because (like in Syria) they are a strange group of radicals with a different agenda. They don't want reform, they want chaos and bloodshed.
      My favorite antifa incident was back at (IIRC) Berkeley a couple years ago when one of them lost his mask and went running back to his buddies -- only to get sprayed in the face with bear mace because they didn't recognize him without his mask on.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Do you guys ever ask yourselves how you became such conspiracy theorists? It wouldn't matter to you if the media was spot on in any instance, if they didn't report what you want to hear you would believe it's a vast conspiracy, that every journalist is unethical and report only what the masters tell them to report. That would be the kind of media that Trump would like, which is why he tells you not to believe what you hear or read, but to just believe him.
        Because most national news reporting, CNN, Fox, etc., is a little news with a lot of opinion. They seem to trying to be taking a couple facts and then spinning them to the result they want.

I am much more trusting of my local news. They seem to be more just reporting the facts.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

While I largely agree with people's definition here, it just seems that MSM is used almost exclusively about "leftist" media. While others are considered exempt.

For instance, people cite Breitbart and Fox News commentaries and report here, without any accusations about them being MSM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            While I largely agree with people's definition here, it just seems that MSM is used almost exclusively about "leftist" media. While others are considered exempt.
            I think the argument for that is that the MSM was thought, at one time, as being at least somewhat balanced, but they have become WAY left. Which is why other sources popped up.

For instance, people cite Breitbart and Fox News commentaries and report here, without any accusations about them being MSM.
            Those sources are becoming "mainstream", yes, but the reference is to the "old guard".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Those sources are becoming "mainstream", yes, but the reference is to the "old guard".
              I do not consider them exempt, I don't believe conservatives here can do so consistently either.

Comment

Why bother when there is a sizable contingent here that reflexively reject them out of hand because they aren't part of what is typically meant by MSM?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yup.

Speaking only for myself, I don't consider Breitbart mainstream. Fox News definitely is, though.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Why bother when there is a sizable contingent here that reflexively reject them out of hand because they aren't part of what is typically meant by MSM?
                    Thankfully I'm reluctant about media. Whenever I link, I do so usually only when there's video recording. Beyond that I used to use science reports back when I was discussing climate change here.

Comment