Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is the MSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    But there's also practically nothing being done, and people want reform.
    Careful, Leon. The good news doesn't get reported. The police department with which I am associated is very aggressively pursuing - and obtaining - the highest ratings of the Best Practices Recognition Program of the Texas Police Chiefs Association, and a number of other such agencies.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Careful, Leon. The good news doesn't get reported. The police department with which I am associated is very aggressively pursuing - and obtaining - the highest ratings of the Best Practices Recognition Program of the Texas Police Chiefs Association, and a number of other such agencies.
      I think they really need to start talking about it, loudly and openly. What was failed to be done in this case, what is being done elsewhere, what will be done in the future.

Comment

I think they really need to start talking about it, loudly and openly.
        The problem is with the media - "if it bleeds, it leads". Or the age old "man bites dog" --- it's not news unless it's really bad or really unusual.

What was failed to be done in this case, what is being done elsewhere, what will be done in the future.
        Part of the problem is compensation. Kind of "you get what you pay for", and in many towns, the police salary isn't very attractive, so you don't get quality officers.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          The problem is with the media - "if it bleeds, it leads". Or the age old "man bites dog" --- it's not news unless it's really bad or really unusual.
          That's a fair point.

Part of the problem is compensation. Kind of "you get what you pay for", and in many towns, the police salary isn't very attractive, so you don't get quality officers.
          Yeah in the other thread I was asking myself the question whether they're starved for resources, which causes them to keep men on the force who really should have been dropped a lot earlier.

I, personally, would expect reform of the police force to require more funding.

Comment

That's a fair point.
            I try.

Yeah in the other thread I was asking myself the question whether they're starved for resources, which causes them to keep men on the force who really should have been dropped a lot earlier.

I, personally, would expect reform of the police force to require more funding.
            Police and Fire are often used as pawns in city or county budgeting... "We'll have to cut 'services', and the only place we can cut is Police and Fire, so...."

And one of the biggest tragedies is the COST of training Police, in particular. So, what often happens is that a police department will hire somebody, pay for their Police Academy, then NOT pay them what their worth, so that officer goes to a department that will pay more WITHOUT having to pay for commissioning costs, and the department that lost that officer has to hire, train, rinse, repeat....

So, what happens is that Police Departments who are big enough to have UNIONS end up getting these officers, and because of the UNIONS, it's nearly impossible to fire them.

I don't know who it was, but somebody on the board recently cited unions as a problem, -- I think they're a HUGE problem.

Comment

I'm curious, I've been in online hangouts with Rumtumtggr, and heard this mentioned. I've been accused of reading MSM news sources by Mossrose, and I've seen SeanD and Mountain Man blame all sorts of stuff on them.

Who are the MSM? I'm honestly confused.
              MSM = Mainstream Media. Self explanatory.

Comment

I'm curious, I've been in online hangouts with Rumtumtggr, and heard this mentioned. I've been accused of reading MSM news sources by Mossrose, and I've seen SeanD and Mountain Man blame all sorts of stuff on them.

Who are the MSM? I'm honestly confused.
                The history of televised media in the US gives the origins of the terms I think. In the beginning was an alphabet soup, abc, cbs and nbc. And the sacred cow of print, the New York Times. What they said was it, they broadcast into all of America. Nothing was news that wasn't said by them. This lasted for decades. Then, cable came along, and increased their reach into everyone's homes through msNBC and Turner, while the free public broadcasting still occured. We also decided to create our own government propaganda wing, and call it public broadcasting.

This is what I would refer to as the mainstream media. And the overwhelming majority involved in the MSM are democrats. Which is why you see the liberal talking heads on these networks in symbiotic relationship with democrat politicians. I think it is an unholy alliance for a representative republic.

Fox News is really the only group that isn't virtually democrat in its makeup. They clearly made it a point they were created as a response to the monolithic media that existed before its creation on cable.

Journalism was supposed to stay above it all, right? Journalists non political or something. That is not the case in America today. It seems to me journalists have to show their bias nowadays, but unless you are watching Fox, it is highlely likely it will be a biased democrat rather than a biased republican. Simply because there are way more MSM than Fox.
                Last edited by Maranatha; 05-31-2020, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maranatha View Post
                  The history of televised media in the US gives the origins of the terms I think. In the beginning was an alphabet soup, abc, cbs and nbc. And the sacred cow of print, the New York Times. What they said was it, they broadcast into all of America. Nothing was news that wasn't said by them. This lasted for decades. Then, cable came along, and increased their reach into everyone's homes through msNBC and Turner, while the free public broadcasting still occured. We also decided to create our own government propaganda wing, and call it public broadcasting.

This is what I would refer to as the mainstream media. And the overwhelming majority involved in the MSM are democrats. Which is why you see the liberal talking heads on these networks in symbiotic relationship with democrat politicians. I think it is an unholy alliance for a representative republic.

Fox News is really the only group that isn't virtually democrat in its makeup. They clearly made it a point they were created as a response to the monolithic media that existed before its creation on cable.

Journalism was supposed to stay above it all, right? Journalists non political or something. That is not the case in America today. It seems to me journalists have to show their bias nowadays, but unless you are watching Fox, it is highlely likely it will be a biased democrat rather than a biased republican. Simply because there are way more MSM than Fox.
                  Several polls conducted of national journalists and editors show that they are overwhelmingly on the left. IIRC, the average is about 9 to 1 or even more.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Several polls conducted of national journalists and editors show that they are overwhelmingly on the left. IIRC, the average is about 9 to 1 or even more.
                    I realize that my tiny experience sample is hardly applicable, but when I worked for a newspaper in California I was the only non Democrat in the newsroom. The photographer was so far left that we could barely speak to each other.

Comment

I think Ronson and Sparko had the best explanations. Of course, if these networks are owned by just a few corporate megaliths, then it stands to reason the corporate heads would have some influence about what gets reported, as opposed to just independent journalism. Why would a corporate megalith want to own a news network anyway? Is it that profitable of a business to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                        I think Ronson and Sparko had the best explanations. Of course, if these networks are owned by just a few corporate megaliths, then it stands to reason the corporate heads would have some influence about what gets reported, as opposed to just independent journalism. Why would a corporate megalith want to own a news network anyway? Is it that profitable of a business to do so?
                        Haha. The profits are not obtained through the journalism/media business itself. The gains have to be obtained through their other investments or in their direct influence on politicians (pushing policies and ideas through the media) ... and the media influence on politicians (to speak well or badly of such politicians). The emphasis is on control of the public's views. I wish more people could learn this concept.
                        Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-01-2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          Haha. The profits are not obtained through the journalism/media business itself. The gains have to be obtained through their other investments or in their direct influence on politicians (pushing policies and ideas through the media) ... and the media influence on politicians (to speak well or badly of such politicians). The emphasis is on control of the public's views. I wish more people could learn this concept.
                          Do you guys ever ask yourselves how you became such conspiracy theorists? It wouldn't matter to you if the media was spot on in any instance, if they didn't report what you want to hear you would believe it's a vast conspiracy, that every journalist is unethical and report only what the masters tell them to report. That would be the kind of media that Trump would like, which is why he tells you not to believe what you hear or read, but to just believe him.

Comment

This is what the MSM is not showing you during this time

I bet there are more scenes like that you can find from your local news outlets. Rather then except the false views that All cops are bad, All Blacks are criminals and America is a racist country why don't we see the truth that America is built on the view that we should all respect the Individual and that there are good cops there are blacks who are not criminals stop letting those who want to divide America for what ever reason win. Tell them it won't work because America was not built to suppress certain people or to make others priviledge it was built to show that as humans we are equal and deserve equal opportunity, equal Justice no matter what race, creed color etc....
                            Last edited by RumTumTugger; 06-01-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Do you guys ever ask yourselves how you became such conspiracy theorists? It wouldn't matter to you if the media was spot on in any instance, if they didn't report what you want to hear you would believe it's a vast conspiracy, that every journalist is unethical and report only what the masters tell them to report. That would be the kind of media that Trump would like, which is why he tells you not to believe what you hear or read, but to just believe him.
                              The things that convince me most are those that are evidence based. At some point, things that were only theories become well-proven facts. Of course there are things like the JFK assassination where the facts are harder to establish. There are alien theories which seem unconvincing. The flat-earth claims seem unconvincing, but I would like to try experiments with gyro stabilized platforms to see what the results are.

The thing now is that most of what conspiracy investigators could expect in the world is happening -- even if we get a return to some level of normalcy and freedom. We have people willingly (or fearfully) giving up their freedom to work, play, travel and get medical treatment. We have governors who claim to have the power to take away our rights. We have media that promotes fear every day. We have financial ruin happening for a good number of people across the world. We are told to wear masks -- no wait -- masks are not normally needed. We have estimates that 2million could die -- no wait -- Ferguson's calculations could not be verified.

It is pretty true that the MSM could be spot on and that I might not trust it. This is due to a long history of misinformation from the mainstream media. I was seeing CNN headlines for a year or so after Trump became President. Their headlines were always about how badly Trump has acted. I did not see much of any normal, useful news. I think the mainstream media has a lot of work to do if it wants to be trusted again. They need to show where corporations act illegally or underhandedly. They need to expose scoundrel politicians whether they be Republicans, Democrats, Independents or any other group. The media needs to stop fomenting violence and only praising revolutionist factions.

I don't care that much of what Trump says. During his coronavirus era, it seemed like he was cautious about the information he was getting. Then later it seemed he trusted criminals such as Fauci and Birx.
                              Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-01-2020, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                                This is what the MSM is not showing you during this time

I bet there are more scenes like that you can find from your local news outlets. Rather then except the false views that All cops are bad, All Blacks are criminals and America is a racist country why don't we see the truth that America is built on the view that we should all respect the Individual and that there are good cops there are blacks who are not criminals stop letting those who want to divide America for what ever reason win. Tell them it won't work because America was not built to suppress certain people or to make others priviledge it was built to show that as humans we are equal and deserve equal opportunity, equal Justice no matter what race, creed color etc....
                                My favorite scene is where a group of protesters tackle an Antifa vandal.

I recall an interview about 8 or 9 years ago when a "free Syria" fighter was talking about overthrowing Assad. He said there were several groups working and fighting alongside each other toward that common goal. But they didn't want anything to do with a strange group of foreign extremists who had entered the fray (this later turned out to be ISIS). He said they were afraid of being shot in the back by these people because they were radicals and had some hidden agenda.

That's the same way Antifa is hijacking the Floyd protests. They are being spotted now because (like in Syria) they are a strange group of radicals with a different agenda. They don't want reform, they want chaos and bloodshed.

Comment