Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the MSM?

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

What is the MSM?

I'm curious, I've been in online hangouts with Rumtumtggr, and heard this mentioned. I've been accused of reading MSM news sources by Mossrose, and I've seen SeanD and Mountain Man blame all sorts of stuff on them.

Who are the MSM? I'm honestly confused.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'm curious, I've been in online hangouts with Rumtumtggr, and heard this mentioned. I've been accused of reading MSM news sources by Mossrose, and I've seen SeanD and Mountain Man blame all sorts of stuff on them.

Who are the MSM? I'm honestly confused.
    Mainstream media, controlled by a few corporate conglomerates or parent companies at the very top.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Mainstream media, controlled by a few corporate conglomerates or parent companies at the very top.
    I take it this would include both right and left-wing media then?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It could be both but usually when a poster used MSM, they mean left-wing media. Here in the US, I believe the mainstream media is CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, the NY Times, the Washington Post plus others. I suppose you could call Fox a MSM but the other MSM would deny any commonality.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    It could be both but usually when a poster used MSM, they mean left-wing media. Here in the US, I believe the mainstream media is CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, the NY Times, the Washington Post plus others. I suppose you could call Fox a MSM but the other MSM would deny any commonality.
    And Fox News and Breitbart, or anything owned by Turner Broadcasting is not part of the MSM. Yeah that would make the MSM a rather empty moniker.

6. Amen Whateverman amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Yeah, it used to be that the news was considered trustworthy - Walter Kronkitish. But it seemed to become more and more biased, which gave rise to alternate sources like Fox News.

It also gave rise to conservative talk radio like Rush Limbaugh and others, who constantly criticize (often rightly) the abuses of the MSM - like CNN.

We've seen documented cases where some of the "news" outlets outright FAKED a story, like the legendary NBC Admits It Rigged Crash, Settles GM Suit.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And Fox News and Breitbart, or anything owned by Turner Broadcasting is not part of the MSM. Yeah that would make the MSM a rather empty moniker.
    A lot of the 24 hour "cable news" is actually commentary and opinion. Hard news is very rare. Our local news channel (well, Houston's about as local as we can get) includes some of the DUMBEST stuff as "news", including a "ZEN MOMENT" to help calm people down. It's nutty.

zen moment.jpg
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, it used to be that the news was considered trustworthy - Walter Kronkitish. But it seemed to become more and more biased, which gave rise to alternate sources like Fox News.

It also gave rise to conservative talk radio like Rush Limbaugh and others, who constantly criticize (often rightly) the abuses of the MSM - like CNN.

We've seen documented cases where some of the "news" outlets outright FAKED a story, like the legendary NBC Admits It Rigged Crash, Settles GM Suit.
    It's funny because, though the leftists in here drone on and on about Breitbart and other conservative news networks, the only time I've actually SEEN fake news in action -- and by fake I don't just mean false reports, but actual video or audio deceptively edited, where they were either forced to apologize or even sued, and/or staging fake situations -- is from the MSM. Maybe it's just because I don't read Breitbart on a regular basis. But I don't think I've ever seen Fox News do this either. The last deceptive thing I remember Fox News doing is how they shunned Ron Paul during the 2008 election.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, it used to be that the news was considered trustworthy - Walter Kronkitish.
    That's largely because they had a literal monopoly on the flow of information. The news was just as slanted then, but there was no alternative media to call them out.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's basically jounalism that the right wingers don't want to hear. Hitler called it the Lugenpress, or the lying press, Trump calls it fake news a tactic which he probably got from reading Mein Kampf.