Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is the MSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the MSM?

I'm curious, I've been in online hangouts with Rumtumtggr, and heard this mentioned. I've been accused of reading MSM news sources by Mossrose, and I've seen SeanD and Mountain Man blame all sorts of stuff on them.

Who are the MSM? I'm honestly confused.

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I'm curious, I've been in online hangouts with Rumtumtggr, and heard this mentioned. I've been accused of reading MSM news sources by Mossrose, and I've seen SeanD and Mountain Man blame all sorts of stuff on them.

Mainstream media, controlled by a few corporate conglomerates or parent companies at the very top.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
      Mainstream media, controlled by a few corporate conglomerates or parent companies at the very top.
      I take it this would include both right and left-wing media then?

Comment

It could be both but usually when a poster used MSM, they mean left-wing media. Here in the US, I believe the mainstream media is CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, the NY Times, the Washington Post plus others. I suppose you could call Fox a MSM but the other MSM would deny any commonality.
        "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
          It could be both but usually when a poster used MSM, they mean left-wing media. Here in the US, I believe the mainstream media is CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, the NY Times, the Washington Post plus others. I suppose you could call Fox a MSM but the other MSM would deny any commonality.
          And Fox News and Breitbart, or anything owned by Turner Broadcasting is not part of the MSM. Yeah that would make the MSM a rather empty moniker.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
            Yeah, it used to be that the news was considered trustworthy - Walter Kronkitish. But it seemed to become more and more biased, which gave rise to alternate sources like Fox News.

It also gave rise to conservative talk radio like Rush Limbaugh and others, who constantly criticize (often rightly) the abuses of the MSM - like CNN.

We've seen documented cases where some of the "news" outlets outright FAKED a story, like the legendary NBC Admits It Rigged Crash, Settles GM Suit.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And Fox News and Breitbart, or anything owned by Turner Broadcasting is not part of the MSM. Yeah that would make the MSM a rather empty moniker.
              A lot of the 24 hour "cable news" is actually commentary and opinion. Hard news is very rare. Our local news channel (well, Houston's about as local as we can get) includes some of the DUMBEST stuff as "news", including a "ZEN MOMENT" to help calm people down. It's nutty.

zen moment.jpg
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Yeah, it used to be that the news was considered trustworthy - Walter Kronkitish. But it seemed to become more and more biased, which gave rise to alternate sources like Fox News.

It also gave rise to conservative talk radio like Rush Limbaugh and others, who constantly criticize (often rightly) the abuses of the MSM - like CNN.

We've seen documented cases where some of the "news" outlets outright FAKED a story, like the legendary NBC Admits It Rigged Crash, Settles GM Suit.
                It's funny because, though the leftists in here drone on and on about Breitbart and other conservative news networks, the only time I've actually SEEN fake news in action -- and by fake I don't just mean false reports, but actual video or audio deceptively edited, where they were either forced to apologize or even sued, and/or staging fake situations -- is from the MSM. Maybe it's just because I don't read Breitbart on a regular basis. But I don't think I've ever seen Fox News do this either. The last deceptive thing I remember Fox News doing is how they shunned Ron Paul during the 2008 election.

Comment

Yeah, it used to be that the news was considered trustworthy - Walter Kronkitish.
                  That's largely because they had a literal monopoly on the flow of information. The news was just as slanted then, but there was no alternative media to call them out.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It's basically jounalism that the right wingers don't want to hear. Hitler called it the Lugenpress, or the lying press, Trump calls it fake news a tactic which he probably got from reading Mein Kampf.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      That's largely because they had a literal monopoly on the flow of information. The news was just as slanted then, but there was no alternative media to call them out.
                      Walter Cronkite would no doubt be considered fake news by the rwnj's today.

Comment

At this point I don't trust any news outlet without corroboration from multiple sources on multiple parts of the political spectrum. Not far from where I am at it gets even worse. When a "horse psychic" takes up around 45 minutes worth of time over other stuff there is a problem.

Comment

A lot of the 24 hour "cable news" is actually commentary and opinion. Hard news is very rare. Our local news channel (well, Houston's about as local as we can get) includes some of the DUMBEST stuff as "news", including a "ZEN MOMENT" to help calm people down. It's nutty.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45140[/ATTACH]
                          Good grief. We do have 24 hours news cycle in Denmark and a lot of it are nonstories. I've never seen anything like a zen moment though.

But then again television broadcasts are something I only watch when I visit my mom, her husband enjoys keeping that thing going in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                            Walter Cronkite would no doubt be considered fake news by the rwnj's today.
                            I don't know what "rwnj" is, and I don't care enough to look it up.

As for Cronkite, he was biased, but nobody really knew at the time because the networks controlled the entire flow of information. They had exclusive and complete control over what stories were convered, how they were covered, what point of view would be promoted, who was allowed to be interviewed, and so on. There was no alternative media like we have today to hold them accountable. The mystique of MSM news came to an end with Dan Rather's "fake but accurate" memo scandal when he was called out by internet bloggers.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              I don't know what "rwnj" is, and I don't care enough to look it up.

As for Cronkite, he was biased, but nobody really knew at the time because the networks controlled the entire flow of information. They had exclusive and complete control over what stories were convered, how they were covered, what point of view would be promoted, who was allowed to be interviewed, and so on. There was no alternative media like we have today to hold them accountable. The mystique of MSM news came to an end with Dan Rather's "fake but accurate" memo scandal when he was called out by internet bloggers.
                              And who holds your alternative media, with their alternate facts, accountable?

Comment