Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What is the MSM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    And who holds your alternative media, with their alternate facts, accountable?
    Anybody can hold them accountable. Welcome to the information age, Jimmy.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      That's largely because they had a literal monopoly on the flow of information. The news was just as slanted then, but there was no alternative media to call them out.
      EGGzackly -- the watchers had no watchers, so they could say and do anything they wanted to say or do.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        Good grief. We do have 24 hours news cycle in Denmark and a lot of it are nonstories. I've never seen anything like a zen moment though.

But then again television broadcasts are something I only watch when I visit my mom, her husband enjoys keeping that thing going in the background.
        The other thing is that all these news channels (well, not all) subscribe to goofy feeds where they'll report news like "Bubba the Gorilla accepted an iPhone from a visitor to the zoo....." That's NEWS. And you'll see dopey newsreader after dopey newsreader "reporting" it like it's vital for us to know.

It's all about ratings -- how can we get the most people to watch OUR version of the news?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          The other thing is that all these news channels (well, not all) subscribe to goofy feeds where they'll report news like "Bubba the Gorilla accepted an iPhone from a visitor to the zoo....." That's NEWS. And you'll see dopey newsreader after dopey newsreader "reporting" it like it's vital for us to know.

It's all about ratings -- how can we get the most people to watch OUR version of the news?
          Also the 24-hour news cycle is about quantity over quality.

Comment

And 'firstness" over "factness". "FIRST ON THE SCENE, Channel 13 shows you ....." "and EXCLUSIVELY on Channel 13, we tell you...."

That, of course "after the break". I used to feel so bad for Shep Smith as he would breathlessly for hours trying to think of things to say about an incident that would seem pretty clear.

I don't want something complicated baby
            I just want something simple like the truth
            I don't want something fabricated baby
            I just want something simple like the truth

Comment

I seriously don't know how anyone could have watched their 24 hour news coverage of the coronavirus. I watch like 5 minutes of it and I literally feel myself slipping into insanity. I can only imagine the comatose state one would fall into watching that even just a few hours a day.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                I seriously don't know how anyone could have watched their 24 hour news coverage of the coronavirus. I watch like 5 minutes of it and I literally feel myself slipping into insanity. I can only imagine the comatose state one would fall into watching that even just a few hours a day.
                We've been binge-watching In the Heat of the Night.

Comment

Look at the sheer panic with which liberals discuss the China flu. That's what happens when you're stuck in the MSM bubble.

Comment

Look at the sheer panic with which liberals discuss the China flu. That's what happens when you're stuck in the MSM bubble.
                    Now it's all George Floyd all the time. Just nonstop coverage, from one emotional traumatic event to the next. I'm no psychologist, but that's got to have some ill effects on your mind.

Comment

Now it's all George Floyd all the time. Just nonstop coverage, from one emotional traumatic event to the next. I'm no psychologist, but that's got to have some ill effects on your mind.
                      But the contrast is stark ---- RIOTS destroying the very livelihoods of people in that neighborhood, and inflaming the racial divide -- when there's pretty much ZERO defense of Floyd's death.

Comment

It's all about bragging rights over who broke the story (or a particular aspect of it) first.

You still see that a LOT in local news. Their ads typically boast of how they were the first on the scene and/or first to tell you about this or that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Anybody can hold them accountable. Welcome to the information age, Jimmy.
                          Okay, then lets say that you hold them accountable. How do you hold them accountable?

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            I'm curious, I've been in online hangouts with Rumtumtggr, and heard this mentioned. I've been accused of reading MSM news sources by Mossrose, and I've seen SeanD and Mountain Man blame all sorts of stuff on them.

Who are the MSM? I'm honestly confused.
                            The mainstream media are any media that do not have an overt conservative bias.

EDIT: yes, the term is generally useless.
                            Last edited by Whateverman; 05-31-2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              But the contrast is stark ---- RIOTS destroying the very livelihoods of people in that neighborhood, and inflaming the racial divide -- when there's pretty much ZERO defense of Floyd's death.
                              But there's also practically nothing being done, and people want reform.

I honestly wonder how someone so unbalanced as the murderer of Floyd got to stay on the force for so long as he did. Necessity? Are they so starved for resources that they'll let a guy like this who should have been demoted to the parking lot attendant sixteen infractions ago work for them?

Comment

Someone claimed he had it under control. Most probably a lot of people would actually be alive and well today if he had cared to listen. Now they are dead. To talk about "sheer panic" is a complete misunderstanding of the situation.
                                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment