Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do NOT Wear Face Masks? -- WHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do NOT Wear Face Masks? -- WHO

And THIS is why it's so confusing about FACE MASKS....

From WHO ---- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: When and how to use masks

When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus?
    • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
    • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
    • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
    • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

No idea why, on their website, the statement is posed as a question.

And, lest there be any doubt -- this is actually current advice to the public ---

Home/
    Emergencies/
    Diseases/
    Coronavirus disease 2019/
    Advice for public/
    When and how to use masks
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

But......but.........our province is now handing them out to everybody at McDonald's and Tim Horton's and other drive-throughs, even though we are not required to wear them!

No purchase necessary. But you have to have a car. They are not allowing people to pick them up in-store, or allowing people to walk through the drive-through.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      But......but.........our province is now handing them out to everybody at McDonald's and Tim Horton's and other drive-throughs, even though we are not required to wear them!

No purchase necessary. But you have to have a car. They are not allowing people to pick them up in-store, or allowing people to walk through the drive-through.

Nor sure what is up with who, but masks are helpful in keeping asymptomatic or mildly I'll people unaware they are sick from spreading the virus.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I argued with Juvenal on this exact point. I said that the WHO was still saying we should not wear masks, and he did his typical "check your sources" and then linked to the WHO page. I said, that WAS my source and quoted the lines above.

Comment

I've been skeptical of the value of handing out face masks to people not trained to use them. If you move them, take them off to talk, or touch your nose with your fingers, or cut breathing holes in them it defeats the purpose. :anger:

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I've been skeptical of the value of handing out face masks to people not trained to use them. If you move them, take them off to talk, or touch your nose with your fingers, or cut breathing holes in them it defeats the purpose. :anger:
            I read a good article today on the changing understanding of the effectiveness of facemasks. There is a strong indication the relative success at turning and maintaining control of the virus in Asia is linked to their use of facemasks, which is aided by an already strong cultural sense of hygiene and a longstanding practice of using masks to protect others from contracting more mundane diseases like the flu and colds. I dont have the link handy right now. The primary pushback against wearing masks in the US right now is from anti-science sources ususlly allied with conservative US politics and the current administration.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              And THIS is why it's so confusing about FACE MASKS....

From WHO ---- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: When and how to use masks

When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus?
              • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
              • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
              • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
              • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

No idea why, on their website, the statement is posed as a question.

And, lest there be any doubt -- this is actually current advice to the public ---

Home/
              Emergencies/
              Diseases/
              Coronavirus disease 2019/
              Advice for public/
              When and how to use masks
              Your thread title is misleading. If you read the larger volume of their documentstion, they encourage following local guidance, they encourage preservation of masks for medical settings when there are shortages, theyacknowledge masks can help prevent the spread through droplets, but point to a lack of evidence they protect the wearer from catching the disease from aerosols already in the air.

The primary conflict between CDC guidance and who is the healthy person in the general community. And they are approaching it from the 'prevent you from catching' rather than 'prevent you from spreading' point of view.

I would hope that as more evidence is gathered related to asymptomatic spread and the effectiveness of mask wearing at reducing spread in the countries with their widespread use that their guidance will change.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-30-2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

I have real problems with wearing one for more than a few minutes. I have a continual runny nose due to sinus issues, as well as allergies, and I'm forever having to blow my nose. My sinuses drain once in a while and I have to cough. This has been my condition since I was a child.

So if I have to cough, or sneeze and blow my nose in a store, I get looked at as if I were Typhoid Mary. My husband will then loudly say, "Allergies" because people are so fearful.

So I would be one of those who would be pulling my mask down to blow my nose. I'm glad that we haven't been required to wear them.....yet.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  I have real problems with wearing one for more than a few minutes. I have a continual runny nose due to sinus issues, as well as allergies, and I'm forever having to blow my nose. My sinuses drain once in a while and I have to cough. This has been my condition since I was a child.

So if I have to cough, or sneeze and blow my nose in a store, I get looked at as if I were Typhoid Mary. My husband will then loudly say, "Allergies" because people are so fearful.

So I would be one of those who would be pulling my mask down to blow my nose. I'm glad that we haven't been required to wear them.....yet.
                  I'm not sure that the other folks should be all that comforted by 'just allergies' since the issue is asymptomatic spread through droplets, though I'm not sure what the solution would be in tour case.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    I'm not sure that the other folks should be all that comforted by 'just allergies' since the issue is asymptomatic spread through droplets, though I'm not sure what the solution would be in tour case.

Probably not, but at least no one has attempted to shove me out of the store.

And unless I stay home forever I don't know how to get around it.

Comment

Well, the armchair experts seem to get the narrative they wish to push, find the sources that support that, then go all in on "this is how it is - period!" and lecturing the rest of us.

When even the supposed REAL experts can't agree.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I read a good article today on the changing understanding of the effectiveness of facemasks. There is a strong indication the relative success at turning and maintaining control of the virus in Asia is linked to their use of facemasks,
                        I have no bone to pick regarding facemasks, but controlled studies are a bit ambiguous on how well they work. And it does require a lot of information about how to wear one correctly. The biggest advantage of them is that they prevent you from spreading contagions to others, but that is when you wear them correctly.

Comment

I have no bone to pick regarding facemasks, but controlled studies are a bit ambiguous on how well they work. And it does require a lot of information about how to wear one correctly. The biggest advantage of them is that they prevent you from spreading contagions to others, but that is when you wear them correctly.
                          Which, of course, is the reason for the bullet point #2 - Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

I'd still love to see the rationale for "one way aisles" in Walmart -- even the employees stocking shelves totally ignore them.

Comment

My wife and I were just talking about the "Covid Economy".

Think about the money made manufacturing and selling "one way only" stickers for the floors in Walmart (though they are totally ignored) and the plexiglass shields at the check-outs (though the checkers often lean around them to talk to customers) and the signage and "keep six feet apart" things, and all the placemats at Denny's this morning "this table is reserved for Social Distancing", etc....

In fact, SignPro has an ad listing all the Covid stuff they sell, including to "we are reopening" or "We are OPEN" and such.

Comment

I read a good article today on the changing understanding of the effectiveness of facemasks. There is a strong indication the relative success at turning and maintaining control of the virus in Asia is linked to their use of facemasks, which is aided by an already strong cultural sense of hygiene and a longstanding practice of using masks to protect others from contracting more mundane diseases like the flu and colds. I dont have the link handy right now. The primary pushback against wearing masks in the US right now is from anti-science sources ususlly allied with conservative US politics and the current administration.
                              Indeed. Conservatives just are all anti-science and just want to die and kill people. Your logic is impeccable. You have solved the mask vs no mask debate.

Comment