Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do NOT Wear Face Masks? -- WHO

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Do NOT Wear Face Masks? -- WHO

And THIS is why it's so confusing about FACE MASKS....

From WHO ---- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: When and how to use masks

When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus?

• If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
    • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
    • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
    • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

No idea why, on their website, the statement is posed as a question.

And, lest there be any doubt -- this is actually current advice to the public ---

Home/
    Emergencies/
    Diseases/
    Coronavirus disease 2019/
    Advice for public/
    When and how to use masks
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But......but.........our province is now handing them out to everybody at McDonald's and Tim Horton's and other drive-throughs, even though we are not required to wear them!

No purchase necessary. But you have to have a car. They are not allowing people to pick them up in-store, or allowing people to walk through the drive-through.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    But......but.........our province is now handing them out to everybody at McDonald's and Tim Horton's and other drive-throughs, even though we are not required to wear them!

No purchase necessary. But you have to have a car. They are not allowing people to pick them up in-store, or allowing people to walk through the drive-through.

Nor sure what is up with who, but masks are helpful in keeping asymptomatic or mildly I'll people unaware they are sick from spreading the virus.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I argued with Juvenal on this exact point. I said that the WHO was still saying we should not wear masks, and he did his typical "check your sources" and then linked to the WHO page. I said, that WAS my source and quoted the lines above.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've been skeptical of the value of handing out face masks to people not trained to use them. If you move them, take them off to talk, or touch your nose with your fingers, or cut breathing holes in them it defeats the purpose. :anger:

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I've been skeptical of the value of handing out face masks to people not trained to use them. If you move them, take them off to talk, or touch your nose with your fingers, or cut breathing holes in them it defeats the purpose. :anger:
    I read a good article today on the changing understanding of the effectiveness of facemasks. There is a strong indication the relative success at turning and maintaining control of the virus in Asia is linked to their use of facemasks, which is aided by an already strong cultural sense of hygiene and a longstanding practice of using masks to protect others from contracting more mundane diseases like the flu and colds. I dont have the link handy right now. The primary pushback against wearing masks in the US right now is from anti-science sources ususlly allied with conservative US politics and the current administration.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And THIS is why it's so confusing about FACE MASKS....

From WHO ---- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: When and how to use masks

When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus?

• If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
    • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
    • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
    • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

No idea why, on their website, the statement is posed as a question.

And, lest there be any doubt -- this is actually current advice to the public ---

Home/
    Emergencies/
    Diseases/
    Coronavirus disease 2019/
    Advice for public/
    When and how to use masks
    Your thread title is misleading. If you read the larger volume of their documentstion, they encourage following local guidance, they encourage preservation of masks for medical settings when there are shortages, theyacknowledge masks can help prevent the spread through droplets, but point to a lack of evidence they protect the wearer from catching the disease from aerosols already in the air.

The primary conflict between CDC guidance and who is the healthy person in the general community. And they are approaching it from the 'prevent you from catching' rather than 'prevent you from spreading' point of view.

I would hope that as more evidence is gathered related to asymptomatic spread and the effectiveness of mask wearing at reducing spread in the countries with their widespread use that their guidance will change.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-30-2020 at 07:59 AM.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post

I have real problems with wearing one for more than a few minutes. I have a continual runny nose due to sinus issues, as well as allergies, and I'm forever having to blow my nose. My sinuses drain once in a while and I have to cough. This has been my condition since I was a child.

So if I have to cough, or sneeze and blow my nose in a store, I get looked at as if I were Typhoid Mary. My husband will then loudly say, "Allergies" because people are so fearful.

So I would be one of those who would be pulling my mask down to blow my nose. I'm glad that we haven't been required to wear them.....yet.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I have real problems with wearing one for more than a few minutes. I have a continual runny nose due to sinus issues, as well as allergies, and I'm forever having to blow my nose. My sinuses drain once in a while and I have to cough. This has been my condition since I was a child.

So if I have to cough, or sneeze and blow my nose in a store, I get looked at as if I were Typhoid Mary. My husband will then loudly say, "Allergies" because people are so fearful.

So I would be one of those who would be pulling my mask down to blow my nose. I'm glad that we haven't been required to wear them.....yet.
    I'm not sure that the other folks should be all that comforted by 'just allergies' since the issue is asymptomatic spread through droplets, though I'm not sure what the solution would be in tour case.

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    I'm not sure that the other folks should be all that comforted by 'just allergies' since the issue is asymptomatic spread through droplets, though I'm not sure what the solution would be in tour case.

Probably not, but at least no one has attempted to shove me out of the store.

And unless I stay home forever I don't know how to get around it.