Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Do NOT Wear Face Masks? -- WHO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My wife and I were just talking about the "Covid Economy".

Think about the money made manufacturing and selling "one way only" stickers for the floors in Walmart (though they are totally ignored) and the plexiglass shields at the check-outs (though the checkers often lean around them to talk to customers) and the signage and "keep six feet apart" things, and all the placemats at Denny's this morning "this table is reserved for Social Distancing", etc....

In fact, SignPro has an ad listing all the Covid stuff they sell, including to "we are reopening" or "We are OPEN" and such.
    Does Denny's allow you to take off your masks to eat?

The plexiglass shields remind of of Get Smart's Dome of Silence.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Indeed. Conservatives just are all anti-science and just want to die and kill people. Your logic is impeccable. You have solved the mask vs no mask debate.
      My thread title asks a question, and points to the FAQ section of WHO, beyond which most people will not read. I actually thought, in "the world of science", WHO was a reliable source.

My point, as stated in the OP, was that there is confusion and disagreement on the effectivenes of masks (or the recommendation for their use), and I think bullet points from WHO should be considered trustworthy. Who knew!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Does Denny's allow you to take off your masks to eat?
        They don't require face masks at all. Entirely optional.

The plexiglass shields remind of of Get Smart's Dome of Silence.
        ALWAYS got a kick out of the janitor sweeping the floor who had to help facilitate the top secret conversation in The CONE of Silence! GREAT reference!

Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-30-2020, 12:12 PM.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And THIS is why it's so confusing about FACE MASKS....

From WHO ---- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: When and how to use masks

When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus?
          • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
          • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
          • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
          • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

No idea why, on their website, the statement is posed as a question.

And, lest there be any doubt -- this is actually current advice to the public ---

Home/
          Emergencies/
          Diseases/
          Coronavirus disease 2019/
          Advice for public/
          When and how to use masks
          They're just making it up as they go. I think posing at as a question was inadvertently honest.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            They're just making it up as they go. I think posing at as a question was inadvertently honest.
            The thing is, after all the back and forth, WHO still has that FAQ on their website, seemingly discouraging the routine use of face masks.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              I have real problems with wearing one for more than a few minutes. I have a continual runny nose due to sinus issues, as well as allergies, and I'm forever having to blow my nose. My sinuses drain once in a while and I have to cough. This has been my condition since I was a child.

So if I have to cough, or sneeze and blow my nose in a store, I get looked at as if I were Typhoid Mary. My husband will then loudly say, "Allergies" because people are so fearful.

So I would be one of those who would be pulling my mask down to blow my nose. I'm glad that we haven't been required to wear them.....yet.
              My son found a series of YouTube "prank" videos where someone will walk around loudly coughing just to see how people react. Some people will literally run the other way.

Comment

My son found a series of YouTube "prank" videos where someone will walk around loudly coughing just to see how people react. Some people will literally run the other way.
                I heard somebody got arrested for going into a grocery store and coughing on all the produce.

Coronavirus or not, that's still gross.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I heard somebody got arrested for going into a grocery store and coughing on all the produce.

Coronavirus or not, that's still gross.
                  Yeah, I'm a prankster, and I wouldn't try that -- too much fear, particularly on the part of older folks.

Comment

I've had people rapidly back away from me in stores even though I'm exhibiting no symptoms. It's ridiculous.

Comment

I've had people rapidly back away from me in stores even though I'm exhibiting no symptoms. It's ridiculous.
                      If you get too close it's not. You can be contagious and not have any symptoms. Do you purposefully get within 6 ,feet of them?
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                        I have no bone to pick regarding facemasks, but controlled studies are a bit ambiguous on how well they work. And it does require a lot of information about how to wear one correctly. The biggest advantage of them is that they prevent you from spreading contagions to others, but that is when you wear them correctly.
                        That is a big advantage. As can be seen in Asia.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Indeed. Conservatives just are all anti-science and just want to die and kill people. Your logic is impeccable. You have solved the mask vs no mask debate.
                          Seems that way. They certainly seem impervious to logic, reasoning, or science. And there is no debate. Just people that dont want to accept reality and want to have their way even if it puts others at risk. For most people, wearing a mask in an air conditioned store is a nothing. I cant imagine the ego and narcissism it takes to walk in there without a mask on knowing that if you happen to be a carrier that you may well kill someone in that store.

And it blows my mind people can be that callous with human life.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            Seems that way. They certainly seem impervious to logic, reasoning, or science. And there is no debate. Just people that dont want to accept reality and want to have their way even if it puts others at risk. For most people, wearing a mask in an air conditioned store is a nothing. I cant imagine the ego and narcissism it takes to walk in there without a mask on knowing that if you happen to be a carrier that you may well kill someone in that store.

And it blows my mind people can be that callous with human life.
                            You are referring, of course, to all the rioting going on across the states right now. Hordes of people with and without masks looting and destroying property. Yes, indeed, they are certainly being callous with human life. Purposely getting within 6 feet of others so they can create destruction in their wake.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              They certainly seem impervious to logic, reasoning, or science. And there is no debate.
                              You sure don't sound very smart making comments like that

Comment

And THIS is why it's so confusing about FACE MASKS....

From WHO ---- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public: When and how to use masks

When and how to wear medical masks to protect against coronavirus?
                                • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
                                • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
                                • Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
                                • If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly.

No idea why, on their website, the statement is posed as a question.

And, lest there be any doubt -- this is actually current advice to the public ---

Home/
                                Emergencies/
                                Diseases/
                                Coronavirus disease 2019/
                                Advice for public/
                                When and how to use masks
                                The cynic in me wonders if WHO's decision was influenced by the fact that their Chicom masters no longer have a monopoly on them

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment