Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Media Mass Scripting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Media Mass Scripting

How many people have seen or heard a bunch of instances where local TV news reports all are saying the same thing?

I'm seeing some cases where maybe 20 to 40 separate newscasts are played simultaneously with people saying the same thing. Often these will be placed sequentially or in pairs to see and hear the matched reports more clearly. I have heard this also for Democrat house members who all use the same terminology to speak of Trump, or of other politicized issues.

The last one was a news report about that mailorder company named after a jungle. All the news reports were saying some of the same words but also continuing to just give free advertising to that company.

I'm also amazed at the ability to collect all these newscasts and position so many of these together in sync with each other.

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    How many people have seen or heard a bunch of instances where local TV news reports all are saying the same thing?

I'm seeing some cases where maybe 20 to 40 separate newscasts are played simultaneously with people saying the same thing. Often these will be placed sequentially or in pairs to see and hear the matched reports more clearly. I have heard this also for Democrat house members who all use the same terminology to speak of Trump, or of other politicized issues.

The last one was a news report about that mailorder company named after a jungle. All the news reports were saying some of the same words but also continuing to just give free advertising to that company.

I'm also amazed at the ability to collect all these newscasts and position so many of these together in sync with each other.
    You're speaking in very vague terms so it's hard for me to assess whether this looks like coordination or not. Clearly politicians of the same party will coordinate their messaging. If you could paste a few examples it would help make your point more clearly.

I must have missed the Good Vibrations news casts but I will keep my eyes open.

Comment

A lot of local stations across the country are owned by the same national company who will sometimes send out a "must do" story.

More insidious, I think, are the national networks who are owned by companies but who will all report from the exact same perspective, often using the same words and phrases to describe a story. I would love to know who is giving them their marching orders.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        A lot of local stations across the country are owned by the same national company who will sometimes send out a "must do" story.

More insidious, I think, are the national networks who are owned by companies but who will all report from the exact same perspective, often using the same words and phrases to describe a story. I would love to know who is giving them their marching orders.
        Sinclair Media is owned by a bunch of RWNJs. So the talking points probably come from Russia.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
          Sinclair Media is owned by a bunch of RWNJs. So the talking points probably come from Russia.
          Coming from a reasonable person, that would be obvious satire, but you're just dumb enough to actually believe it.

Comment

Companies and government officials distribute press releases when they think they've done something positive and newsworthy. Press releases are written like news articles in the hope they will simply be published 'as is'. Sometimes they are (when news agencies are lazy). Sometimes they are augmented slightly for a news report. Sometimes they are totally re-written, or discarded.

This may be what you are referencing regarding news about a private company looking scripted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_release

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Coming from a reasonable person, that would be obvious satire, but you're just dumb enough to actually believe it.
              Per Wikipedia

Sinclair has faced scrutiny from some media critics, as well as some of its station employees, for the conservative slant of their stations' news reporting and other programming decisions, and how the company's rapid growth has aided the airing of content that supports these views.[2][3][4] Sinclair has also faced criticism over business practices that circumvent concentration of media ownership regulations, particularly the use of local marketing agreements, accusations that the company had been currying favor with the Trump administration in order to loosen these rules[5] and about its management lacking diversity and being totally controlled by a single family.[6] Critics including former CBS Evening News anchor Dan Rather have described Sinclair's practices as being "an assault on our democracy" by disseminating what they perceive to be Orwellian-like propaganda to its local stations

Comment

Okay. Here is the one about the company named after a jungle

The comments are great.

Comment

here are some of the stations shown:

wbtw.com cbs south carolina

lex18.com nbc lexington kentucky

wtvm.com cbs georgia

NBC Palm springs nbc palm springs

wvva nbc/cw west virginia

13abc abc/cw Toledo, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                    Per Wikipedia

Sinclair has faced scrutiny from some media critics, as well as some of its station employees, for the conservative slant of their stations' news reporting and other programming decisions, and how the company's rapid growth has aided the airing of content that supports these views.[2][3][4] Sinclair has also faced criticism over business practices that circumvent concentration of media ownership regulations, particularly the use of local marketing agreements, accusations that the company had been currying favor with the Trump administration in order to loosen these rules[5] and about its management lacking diversity and being totally controlled by a single family.[6] Critics including former CBS Evening News anchor Dan Rather have described Sinclair's practices as being "an assault on our democracy" by disseminating what they perceive to be Orwellian-like propaganda to its local stations
                    That wikipedia article interestingly has a link to conservative media in the United States. I did not find a similar link on NBC for leftist media in the United States.

I also have not seen the list of tv stations. I suspect there are not many of these stations in the large cities of the leftist states.

As you can see from the video I linked to, Dan Rather would be rather sad to see this "assault on our democracy" happening across the country on ABC, CBS and NBC.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
                      Per Wikipedia

Right, and Dan "Fake But Accurate" Rather is such a reliable source.

Comment

That wikipedia article interestingly has a link to conservative media in the United States. I did not find a similar link on NBC for leftist media in the United States.

I also have not seen the list of tv stations. I suspect there are not many of these stations in the large cities of the leftist states.

As you can see from the video I linked to, Dan Rather would be rather sad to see this "assault on our democracy" happening across the country on ABC, CBS and NBC.
                        Those look like local news stations. But yeah, seems like Amazon is writing copy for them. You won't find this "leftist" defending that wisebutt.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                          Those look like local news stations. But yeah, seems like Amazon is writing copy for them. You won't find this "leftist" defending that wisebutt.
                          Okay. We have you as one leftist who doesn't agree with ABC,NBC, CNN and CBS doing this stuff.

Comment

Okay. We have you as one leftist who doesn't agree with ABC,NBC, CNN and CBS doing this stuff.
                            Like I said, those look to be local news stations.

BTW, here is the list of Sinclair TV stations. You can see quite a few in CA, NY and OR. Probably a bunch more in other non-traitorous states but you don't really care anyway so why bother wasting my time.

Comment

To be fair, local stations do not necessarily reflect the views of the parent network.

Comment