Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

In The Heat of the Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In The Heat of the Night

As I mentioned elsewhere, my wife and I are binge-watching In The Heat of the Night.

First, it's fun to watch "Archie Bunker" play "Chief Gillespie".

There are some interesting things about the series.... It seems to try to be really "leading edge" for its time, dealing with many aspects of racism, Mr Tibb's wife raped by a white man, black civil rights leader coming to town and the anticipated riots, white townspeople dealing with black police officers...

As the show progresses, you can tell they're snatching every "new" theme that comes along, and portraying its problems - crack, AIDS, integration of a local white church, the first "girl" police officer (who, by the way... it's kinda like "GOOD NEWS, you get to play a black police woman on ITHOTN --- BAD news is you only get to be in one episode cause you get killed dead".)

It's fun to watch the clothing styles, the hair styles (Mr Tibbs goes from afro to .... um... some kind of slicked back don't-know-what-ya-call-it) the "traditional values", the interaction between the Chief and Tibbs (I had forgotten that Tibbs got forced upon the Chief as "chief of detectives" against the Chief's will) who start off as adversaries, but become friends...

Are you a fan? Favorite episode?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I didn't care for the show. Archie was not speaking in his normal voice.

Comment

I only vaguely remember being aware that the show existed back when it first aired. I've never sat down and watched an episode.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I'd watched it off and on. Mostly because of Carrol O'connor. It wasn't shy about the topics.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          I didn't care for the show. Archie was not speaking in his normal voice.
          Laughing... but it does come through when he gets aggravated with his people - you can see that sneer he gave to Edith.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
            I'd watched it off and on. Mostly because of Carrol O'connor. It wasn't shy about the topics.
            He was, indeed, a fascinating fella.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              As I mentioned elsewhere, my wife and I are binge-watching In The Heat of the Night.

First, it's fun to watch "Archie Bunker" play "Chief Gillespie".

There are some interesting things about the series.... It seems to try to be really "leading edge" for its time, dealing with many aspects of racism, Mr Tibb's wife raped by a white man, black civil rights leader coming to town and the anticipated riots, white townspeople dealing with black police officers...

As the show progresses, you can tell they're snatching every "new" theme that comes along, and portraying its problems - crack, AIDS, integration of a local white church, the first "girl" police officer (who, by the way... it's kinda like "GOOD NEWS, you get to play a black police woman on ITHOTN --- BAD news is you only get to be in one episode cause you get killed dead".)

It's fun to watch the clothing styles, the hair styles (Mr Tibbs goes from afro to .... um... some kind of slicked back don't-know-what-ya-call-it) the "traditional values", the interaction between the Chief and Tibbs (I had forgotten that Tibbs got forced upon the Chief as "chief of detectives" against the Chief's will) who start off as adversaries, but become friends...

Are you a fan? Favorite episode?
              I remember watching only one episode when I was a kid on a visit to my dad's place. This was almost 20 years ago, but I remember it was about a minister who died during a sermon. They later found out it was the doctor who killed him by giving him mouthwash with penicillin in it (the preacher was deathly allergic) because the minister was having an affair with his daughter.

Looking up the episode, it was called, "Tear Down the Walls." I'm kind of a sucker for police-type shows, so I'll have to see if I can out if it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime sometime soon.
              Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaotic Void View Post
                I remember watching only one episode when I was a kid on a visit to my dad's place. This was almost 20 years ago, but I remember it was about a minister who died during a sermon. They later found out it was the doctor who killed him by giving him mouthwash with penicillin in it (the preacher was deathly allergic) because the minister was having an affair with his daughter.

Looking up the episode, it was called, "Tear Down the Walls." I'm kind of a sucker for police-type shows, so I'll have to see if I can out if it's on Netflix or Amazon Prime sometime soon.
                Yeah, we recently watched that one -- that was the one where they "elected" Mr & Mrs Tibbs to join the all white church to begin integration, and... yeah, lots of racial theme there.

Comment