Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 145

Thread: Arrest All Protesters....

  1. #111
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,878
    Amen (Given)
    772
    Amen (Received)
    2074
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    Wearing masks ain't going to cut it. Not all the protesters are wearing masks. And if wearing masks was all there was to it, then all the "shelter in place," social distancing," shutting down society completely and plunging the economy into an abyss was a bunch of BS. BEST case scenario is it was a huge scientific/medical blunder of epic proportions. That's best case.
    Your sarcasm is destructive. None of the covid 19 measures were BS, but this a new virus and as such there is a lot to be learned. The spread of this virus has been shown to be reduced by mask wearing. A combination of several techniques works better than any one technique.

    It was not a blunder to shelter in place, but it may be possible to have a less drastic social distancing protocol if everyone wears masks. May - we dont know for sure yet.

    Either way, the protests are a superspreader type event except people are outdoors. And they are wearing masks. So we dont know which will be the greater factor. Will the sunlight and the outdoor air circulation and the mask wearing such as it is be enough to counter the close proximity and high capacity to spread.

    We'll find out soon enough.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-03-2020 at 05:46 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  2. #112
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,062
    Amen (Given)
    1235
    Amen (Received)
    22053
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Your sarcasm is destructive. None of the covid 19 measures were BS, but this a new virus and as such there is a lot to be learned. The spread of this virus has been shown to be reduced by mask wearing. A combination of several techniques works better than any one technique.

    It was not a blunder to shelter in place, but it may be possible to have a less drastic social distancing protocol if everyone wears masks. May - we dont know for sure yet.

    Either way, the protests are a suoerspreader type event except people are outdoors. And they are wearing masks. So we dont know which will be the greater factor. Will the sunlight and the outdoor air circulation and the mask wearing such as it is be enough to ciunter the close proximity and high capacity to spread.

    We'll find out soon enough.
    Funny how those willing to arrest and jail those daring to leave their homes suddenly don't see the rioting as a problem and something that will likely cause a spike in the cases of Chicom coronavirus -- which you and some others here will dutifully blame on Trump.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  3. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  4. #113
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,878
    Amen (Given)
    772
    Amen (Received)
    2074
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Funny how those willing to arrest and jail those daring to leave their homes suddenly don't see the rioting as a problem and something that will likely cause a spike in the cases of Chicom coronavirus -- which you and some others here will dutifully blame on Trump.
    Dont be illogical. This isnt an either/or situation. There is real concern about covid wrt the protests, but then again there is no practical way to stop the protests at this point.

    So at least most of the people (from what I can tell) are wearing masks. And quite frankly, Trump's actions and his inactions have in fact made BOTH the spread of the virus AND the unrest causing the protests worse for reasons I'd be glad to spell out in detail except that you are not listening.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

  5. #114
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,062
    Amen (Given)
    1235
    Amen (Received)
    22053
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Dont be illogical. This isnt an either/or situation. There is real concern about covid wrt the protests, but then again there is no practical way to stop the protests at this point.

    So at least most of the people (from what I can tell) are wearing masks. And quite frankly, Trump's actions and his inactions have in fact made BOTH the spread of the virus AND the unrest causing the protests worse for reasons I'd be glad to spell out in detail except that you are not listening.
    I'm not saying it is an either/or situation. Instead I'm complaining that the mayors and governors effectively treat it that way.

    And officers from multiple jurisdictions and departments have been reporting that they received stand down orders from heads of city councils, mayors and the like which (surprise, surprise) allowed the situation to get to this point.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  6. #115
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,087
    Amen (Given)
    2264
    Amen (Received)
    1757
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Funny how those willing to arrest and jail those daring to leave their homes
    And where is this happening, rogue?


    suddenly don't see the rioting as a problem and something that will likely cause a spike in the cases of Chicom coronavirus
    --
    We see the problem, and it's a difficult one to deal with. The one is the government setting out guidelines for people to follow to protect the health of themselves and others, the other is the people attempting to get the government to abide by laws to protect the people from them. Most of the protesters are doing their best to follow the government guidelines, they're wearing masks while protesting, but at the same time they can't ignore the continuing injustice of government sactioned murder. And the protests only get bigger when the government uses violence, and threatens military action against the peaceful protesters in order to shut them down. The authorities should be protecting property from the anarchists and looters and leave the actual protesters alone.

    which you and some others here will dutifully blame on Trump.
    He's certainly not helping the situation. He actually encouraged the abusive tactics the police use when dealing with criminal suspects, threatened to loose the military against American citizens, and actually had peacful protesters attacked with gases and low flying helicopters in order that he could do a propaganda photo-op with bible in hand in front of a church. Besides, Trump already screwed up his handling of the virus outbreak to the tune of nearly forty thousand unnecessay deaths by one recent study.

  7. #116
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    23,078
    Amen (Given)
    17446
    Amen (Received)
    10613
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL
    And where is this happening, rogue?
    https://nationalpost.com/news/covid-...canada-pile-up

    OTTAWA — A civil liberties group is cautioning police and municipal bylaw officers against levelling increasingly draconian fines against people who fail to adhere to social distancing measures, as cities and towns double down on efforts to stem the spread of COVID-19.

    Police and bylaw officers across Canada have issued hundreds of fines against people who break social distancing rules, turning unwitting dog walkers into social deviants and sowing confusion over what is acceptable behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic.

    Municipal law enforcement in Halifax, Montreal and Ottawa in particular have slapped residents with harsh penalties in recent days, according to a review of fines in major cities by the National Post. City officials have fined people who rest in public parks or cross through empty soccer fields, and threatened charges against neighbours who attended a social-distancing birthday party from their cars.


    https://www.rebelnews.com/fight_the_...t_police_audio

    Today, I am going to tell you the absolutely insane story of Walter Matheson. Matheson was finishing his muffin and coffee alone in his car in a New Brunswick Tim Hortons parking lot before he carried on with his day. A pretty normal Canadian thing to do amidst the coronavirus lockdown that has been anything but normal.

    Walter was doing the safe thing: eating THEN driving. However, he was given a $300 ticket for violating the province’s coronavirus regulations. Why? The cop who wrote the ticket told Walter his presence might attract teenagers to loiter in the same parking lot!

    Solitary retirees eating muffins in parking lots might bring all the youngsters to the streets to spread the coronavirus has to be the one of the silliest things I have heard lately — and I watch those Trudeau daily press conferences from outside his Rideau mansion, so I know silliness.

    Even crazier, Walter did try to leave the coffee shop parking lot when the police officer first asked him to. He even joked a little with the cop. However, the police officer prevented Walter from driving away when Walter politely questioned the ridiculous reason he had to leave before he finished his muffin - that he was some sort of strange magnet for high schoolers. Then the officer ticketed Walter for not leaving when he was first directed to!


    https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2020/04/16/...est-of-things/

    Emergency rules for social distancing seem not well-understood. That misunderstanding is costing many people hundreds of dollars in fines.

    People, now spending much more time indoors, want to get outside, but there seems to be confusion about provincial rules and also about slightly differing municipal rules among cities. Toronto allows people to walk through certain parks and greenspaces, but in Ottawa a man was fined $880 simply for walking his dog through a park.

    An Oakville father was fined for letting his sons, who all live together under the same roof, rollerblade in a completely empty parking lot.

    Police in several cities have issued dozens of tickets and hundreds of warnings to people walking about but not maintaining social distance between them.

    Some areas allow people to walk through parks, maintaining that distance, but not use park facilities. A Toronto man was fined for doing chin-ups on park equipment.

    The ban on park equipment includes picnic areas, but most people didn’t know this includes simply sitting on a park bench by a walkway, even by yourself. An example is when Ottawa police slapped two young women with a $750 fine each (+ victim surcharge =$880) when they sat down together on a park bench but at each end, maintaining distance.

    The bylaw officers issued them tickets for “ Failure to comply with order given during a declared emergency in contravention of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act’.

    It was a very heavy financial burden for the tearful women who had recently been laid off when the restaurant where they worked closed.

    In Toronto a similar situation was occurring until the city issued a clarifcation after people were fined for ‘lingering’ on park benches. The city said people walking through a park can use the benches to rest, but are not to sit on them beyond “necessary resting purposes’.


    That enough or do you want more.

    I have focused on Canada because that's where I live. I'm sure a simple search will turn up many cases of the same in the States.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  8. #117
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    61,062
    Amen (Given)
    1235
    Amen (Received)
    22053
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    And where is this happening, rogue?
    Source: Trapped in paradise: Breaking quarantine could mean prison time for tourists in Hawaii


    Roving neighborhood police patrols. Uniformed soldiers manning checkpoints. A vast surveillance network of hotel staff and health department officials on the lookout for anyone breaking quarantine.

    This isn't an authoritarian dictatorship. It's the US state of Hawaii, where officials have been enforcing some of the strictest measures in the country aimed at stopping the spread of the coronavirus.


    Source

    © Copyright Original Source



    The article mentions a couple from California, a Florida man and an Illinois woman who have been arrested. And they are hardly the only ones. The Denver Post reported on a Boulder, Colorado woman facing a year in jail plus a $5,000 fine if she's convicted of violating quarantine.

    Source: Scrutiny of Social-Distance Policing as 35 of 40 Arrested Are Black


    A police officer enforcing social-distancing rules broke up a group of people on a stoop during a nighttime cookout in East New York, Brooklyn, punching one man in the face. Another dispute between officers and residents of the same predominantly black neighborhood over the guidelines led to a man being knocked unconscious. Days later, three men were arrested after taking part in a sprawling vigil at the Queensbridge Houses for a rapper who was said to have died of the coronavirus.



    Source

    © Copyright Original Source



    NYC has been particularly harsh as can be seen above, raiding backyard cookouts and the like. Not to be outdone New Jersey has repeatedly arrested Orthodox Jews for holding funerals that violated stay-at-home orders. Saying "hold my beer," NYC mayor Bill De Blasio personally ordered police to break up a prominent rabbi's funeral.

    In fact De Blasio even set up a notorious snitch line where you can send photos of “people who really need to get the message” about social distancing so that people could inform on their neighbors. It got so flooded with spam and porn that they shut it down.

    Of course he wasn't the only one wanting to turn everyone into informers. Minnesota also has a call-in line so people can snitch on any violations they see.

    Meanwhile, in some places the police are arresting park goers. For instance, in Idaho a woman was arrested for taking her kids to the park[1] while in Chicago 11 citations and 3 arrests were made just between March 25 and April 5 of park visitors for violating quarantine.

    Around the same time a police arrested a paddle boarder who was in the ocean near Malibu pier in Southern California. for social distancing violations. A week earlier a surfer off Manhattan Beach (also Calif.) was fined $1000 for the same thing. I guess they were afraid they were too close to some fish or something.

    Shall I continue?





    1. Her arrest led to protests during which no businesses were looted and no cars set afire.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

  9. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  10. #118
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,087
    Amen (Given)
    2264
    Amen (Received)
    1757
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    https://nationalpost.com/news/covid-...canada-pile-up

    OTTAWA — A civil liberties group is cautioning police and municipal bylaw officers against levelling increasingly draconian fines against people who fail to adhere to social distancing measures, as cities and towns double down on efforts to stem the spread of COVID-19.

    Police and bylaw officers across Canada have issued hundreds of fines against people who break social distancing rules, turning unwitting dog walkers into social deviants and sowing confusion over what is acceptable behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic.

    Municipal law enforcement in Halifax, Montreal and Ottawa in particular have slapped residents with harsh penalties in recent days, according to a review of fines in major cities by the National Post. City officials have fined people who rest in public parks or cross through empty soccer fields, and threatened charges against neighbours who attended a social-distancing birthday party from their cars.


    https://www.rebelnews.com/fight_the_...t_police_audio

    Today, I am going to tell you the absolutely insane story of Walter Matheson. Matheson was finishing his muffin and coffee alone in his car in a New Brunswick Tim Hortons parking lot before he carried on with his day. A pretty normal Canadian thing to do amidst the coronavirus lockdown that has been anything but normal.

    Walter was doing the safe thing: eating THEN driving. However, he was given a $300 ticket for violating the provinceÂ’s coronavirus regulations. Why? The cop who wrote the ticket told Walter his presence might attract teenagers to loiter in the same parking lot!

    Solitary retirees eating muffins in parking lots might bring all the youngsters to the streets to spread the coronavirus has to be the one of the silliest things I have heard lately — and I watch those Trudeau daily press conferences from outside his Rideau mansion, so I know silliness.

    Even crazier, Walter did try to leave the coffee shop parking lot when the police officer first asked him to. He even joked a little with the cop. However, the police officer prevented Walter from driving away when Walter politely questioned the ridiculous reason he had to leave before he finished his muffin - that he was some sort of strange magnet for high schoolers. Then the officer ticketed Walter for not leaving when he was first directed to!


    https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2020/04/16/...est-of-things/

    Emergency rules for social distancing seem not well-understood. That misunderstanding is costing many people hundreds of dollars in fines.

    People, now spending much more time indoors, want to get outside, but there seems to be confusion about provincial rules and also about slightly differing municipal rules among cities. Toronto allows people to walk through certain parks and greenspaces, but in Ottawa a man was fined $880 simply for walking his dog through a park.

    An Oakville father was fined for letting his sons, who all live together under the same roof, rollerblade in a completely empty parking lot.

    Police in several cities have issued dozens of tickets and hundreds of warnings to people walking about but not maintaining social distance between them.

    Some areas allow people to walk through parks, maintaining that distance, but not use park facilities. A Toronto man was fined for doing chin-ups on park equipment.

    The ban on park equipment includes picnic areas, but most people didnÂ’t know this includes simply sitting on a park bench by a walkway, even by yourself. An example is when Ottawa police slapped two young women with a $750 fine each (+ victim surcharge =$880) when they sat down together on a park bench but at each end, maintaining distance.

    The bylaw officers issued them tickets for “ Failure to comply with order given during a declared emergency in contravention of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act’.

    It was a very heavy financial burden for the tearful women who had recently been laid off when the restaurant where they worked closed.

    In Toronto a similar situation was occurring until the city issued a clarifcation after people were fined for ‘lingering’ on park benches. The city said people walking through a park can use the benches to rest, but are not to sit on them beyond “necessary resting purposes’.


    That enough or do you want more.

    I have focused on Canada because that's where I live. I'm sure a simple search will turn up many cases of the same in the States.
    First off, that's not the US. Second, I don't believe the accuracy of any of those stories. In the first, if the parks are closed to the public, such as they were in the US, then it's not unusual that a violator would be fined. I'm sure that in most instances, if there were no one else in the park, the police would probably just tell you to leave, but if he's a jerk, well it's a violation, and he's a jerk. The second case you cited looks more like the kind of trash posted on anti-government right wing propaganda sites here in the US. And the third, again, the guy is in a park which is obviously temporarily closed to the public for public health reason, an, if true, the cop was a jerk. And btw, none of the above says that they were locked in their homes and arrested and jailed for leaving their homes. They were "supposedly" fined for violating the law while legally outside their homes.
    Last edited by JimL; 06-03-2020 at 03:12 PM.

  11. #119
    Oops....... mossrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    23,078
    Amen (Given)
    17446
    Amen (Received)
    10613
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    First off, that's not the US. Second, I don't believe the accuracy of any of those stories. In the first, if the parks are closed to the public, such as they were in the US, then it's not unusual that a violator would be fined. I'm sure that in most instances, if there were no one else in the park, the police would probably just tell you to leave, but if he's a jerk, well it's a violation, and he's a jerk. The second case you cited looks more like the kind of trash posted on anti-government right wing propaganda sites here in the US. And the third, again, the guy is in a park which is obviously temporarily closed to the public for public health reason. And btw, none of the above says that they were locked in their homes and arrested and jailed for leaving their homes. They were "supposedly" fined for violating the law while legally outside their homes.

    I said it wasn't the States, you twit. I also knew you would hand wave it all away, because it doesn't fit your narrative.


    Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

  12. #120
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18,087
    Amen (Given)
    2264
    Amen (Received)
    1757
    Quote Originally Posted by mossrose View Post
    I said it wasn't the States, you twit. I also knew you would hand wave it all away, because it doesn't fit your narrative.
    I see Canada has its own right wing propaganda organizations. Not surprising those are your go to sources moss. The story that a guy got fined $300 for simply and legally having a muffin in his legally parked car is to stupid for anyone, well, for almost anyone to take seriously. In the other 2 instances, they were fined, whether you think fairly or not, for violating statutes, not for leaving their homes, you, you, you person you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •