Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump exposed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump exposed

Now, who said that and when. Give it a thought....

As recent as it may sound it was said by in July 2016 by Trump.... So, yet another statement that would turn out to be absurd in light of what would actually happen. And this very phenomenon, this idea that you can somehow expect what you say to actually turn out to be the truth while in other cases imagining it is not going to have any consequences to appeal to fear and divide, is what was always so dangerous about Trump. Which is why we so often warned you.

This is very much to the point:

But they can, and do, point to how he made a bad situation so much worse. The story of Trump’s presidency was arguably always leading to this moment, with its toxic mix of weak moral leadership, racial divisiveness, crass and vulgar rhetoric and an erosion of norms, institutions and trust in traditional information sources. Taken together, these ingredients created a tinderbox poised to explode when crises came.

Trump, they say, was uniquely ill-qualified for this moment. He tried to wish away the threat of the coronavirus and failed to prepare, then paid no heed to how communities of colour bore the brunt of its health and economic consequences. As unrest now grips dozens of cities, he speaks an authoritarian language of “thugs”, “vicious dogs” and “when the looting starts, the shooting starts”.
    Emphasis mine.
    Last edited by rogue06; 06-02-2020, 02:22 AM. Reason: edited rather than quote -- original restored
    "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Originally posted by Charles View Post

As recent as it may sound it was said by in July 2016 by Trump.... So, yet another statement that would turn out to be absurd in light of what would actually happen. And this very phenomenon, this idea that you can somehow expect what you say to actually turn out to be the truth while in other cases imagining it is not going to have any consequences to appeal to fear and divide, is what was always so dangerous about Trump. Which is why we so often warned you.

Emphasis mine.
    Absolutely. The lights out at the White House pretty much says all that needs to be said about Donald Trump and what he has so far done to America.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

The funny thing is that if Black Jesus was still in the White House, or Hillary, and they did the exact same things Trump has done, liberals would be singing their praises about how masterfully they handled the crisis. Handsy Joe finally stopped talking about his plan for the Chine flu, because every time he did, it was either something Trump had already done, was currently doing, or had already proposed.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

"Trump, they say, was uniquely ill-qualified for this moment."

I think that's a fair statement. The article is right in that Trump didn't cause the troubles afflicting this country today. However, he did exacerbate them to an extent which makes the US feel more like a fascist state.

And let me be perfectly clear: the voters who voted for him largely wanted him to upset the apple cart. They wanted him to make people angry. Whether their criticisms of various aspects of this country are valid or not, they're responsible for putting a clown at the helm, and doubly-so because they knew exactly what they were doing.

I'd say about half of American voters were uniquely ill-qualified for one particular moment in 2016...

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The funny thing is that if Black Jesus was still in the White House, or Hillary, and they did the exact same things Trump has done, liberals would be singing their praises about how masterfully they handled the crisis. Handsy Joe finally stopped talking about his plan for the Chine flu, because every time he did, it was either something Trump had already done, was currently doing, or had already proposed.
          One thing that would be different with a Democrat in office is they wouldn't insist on calling Coronavirus the "Chinese Flu" / Kung Flu / etc. and I wouldn't have to worry about my wife and kids being exposed to racist attacks as a result. So that's one difference.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
            One thing that would be different with a Democrat in office is they wouldn't insist on calling Coronavirus the "Chinese Flu" / Kung Flu / etc. and I wouldn't have to worry about my wife and kids being exposed to racist attacks as a result. So that's one difference.
            Calling it the "China flu" is not racist, so your wife and kids are safe.

Comment

Disgusting racial and xenofobic rhetoric seems to be all you have to give on these topics MM

To quote your Idol: so sad.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

There has been a large upswing in anti-Asian racism due to COVID45. If you are unaware of that then you are just willfully ignorant. There have literally been Chinese assaulted as a result of COVID45. Doing *nothing* (rather than trying to reduce this) would be bad enough. Saying something which feeds the anti-Chinese narrative is a hundred times worse.

It's just so selfish to insist that because you're white this can't be a problem.

Comment

Emphasis mine.
                  This quote sounds backwards. It is the toxic media that has propagated lies and promoted racism. Yet, people go on quoting the media and promoting the divisive talk that it promotes. People read and hear this and turn against the President -- that is obvious division promoted by the media. If the media had said Trump was great and that he was promoting healing, people would more often speak positively of what the President has done.

The riots are not likely due to locals causing violence. I wonder if it ever has been that case. Though, there probably have been instances where locals have rioted. However, if peaceful gatherings are transitioned to rioting, it more likely is groups that travel in to locations to turn these into riots. I would not like to hear from Black Lives Matter on this ... they have already promoted unrest rather than political solutions. They are not the ones the media should turn to for its recommendation.

If the media calms down, the normal people will calm down. The rioters then will be left in the spotlight.

Please stop listening to this destructive media. Please. Please. Please.
                  Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-01-2020, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Emphasis mine.
                    Kevin_lol.gif
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

There has been a large upswing in anti-Asian racism due to COVID45. If you are unaware of that then you are just willfully ignorant. There have literally been Chinese assaulted as a result of COVID45. Doing *nothing* (rather than trying to reduce this) would be bad enough. Saying something which feeds the anti-Chinese narrative is a hundred times worse.

It's just so selfish to insist that because you're white this can't be a problem.
                      Everybody already knows it originated in China, and racists will do racist things no matter ehat we call it. There are more important things to worry about than someone referring to an illness by its common name, like the fact that the government is using China flu fear-mongering to suppress our basic freedoms.
                      Last edited by Mountain Man; 06-01-2020, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Everybody already knows it originated in China, and racists will do racist things no matter ehat we call it.
                        If I can be frank, that is total horse[hockey]. Claiming "racists r gonna racist amirite" is just you making an excuse to put zero consideration into people who aren't like you. If there is even a small chance that someone might be affected by this why not just use the scientific designation which doesn't put the blame on a group of people in *this* country, most of who weren't even born in China (like my wife and my kids!)?

There are more important things to worry about than someone referring to an illness by its common name, like the fact that the government is using China flu fear-mongering to suppress our basic freedoms.
                        That's no excuse for not getting the small things right when it's trivial to do and can have real world consequences for another human being.
                        Last edited by DivineOb; 06-01-2020, 05:29 PM.

Comment

If I can be frank, that is total horse[hockey]. Claiming "racists r gonna racist amirite" is just an excuse to put zero consideration into people who aren't like you. If there is even a small chance that someone might be affected by this why not just use the scientific designation which doesn't put the blame on a group of people in *this* country, most of who weren't even born in China (like my wife and my kids!).

That's no excuse for not getting the small things right when it's trivial to do and can have real world consequences from another human being.
                          I greatly doubt that anybody will happen across my posts referring to it as the "China flu" or the "Wuhan virus" and be incited to go out looking for Asian people to assault.

Comment

It may not be racist on its face, but it is the reason for your continuously calling it that rather than its clinical name, and you know it.

Comment

I greatly doubt that anybody will happen across my posts referring to it as the "China flu" or the "Wuhan virus" and be incited to go out looking for Asian people to assault.
                              Perhaps not. But that's hardly a biblical perspective to take on anything of this nature.

Secondly, you said this

Everybody already knows it originated in China, and racists will do racist things no matter ehat (sic) we call it.

Meaning you were defending the use of the term *even if* it were seen by others. Racists even!

Comment