Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump exposed

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Traditionally, we have named diseases after where the first outbreak is noticed. The only exception now seems to be when China is involved.

Moreover, isn't it funny how it was alright for those in the MSM to refer to it as Wuhan coronavirus and Chinese coronavirus right up to the instant Trump did and then magically the same folks who had been using those same terms puffed out their chests and self-righteously started squeaking and screeching about racism and xenophobia. HERE is a video of members of the MSM using those terms dozens of times right up until Trump did as well.

And I should also note that a Nexis search revealed that Asian news services were also calling it the Wuhan virus.

So much for it being racist.

Notice that your compilation significantly predates the attack I linked to and the FBI's finding of increased anti-Asian hate. Many of those clips are from January and February, before the virus had truly started exploding over here!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Notice that your compilation significantly predates the attack I linked to and the FBI's finding of increased anti-Asian hate. Many of those clips are from January and February, before the virus had truly started exploding over here!
    That they predate January of 2020 is going to be pretty much a given since we usually don't have a different epidemic or pandemic every month or so.

Still some are very recent like MERS and West Nile Virus.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Traditionally, we have named diseases after where the first outbreak is noticed. The only exception now seems to be when China is involved.

Moreover, isn't it funny how it was alright for those in the MSM to refer to it as Wuhan coronavirus and Chinese coronavirus right up to the instant Trump did and then magically the same folks who had been using those same terms puffed out their chests and self-righteously started squeaking and screeching about racism and xenophobia. HERE is a video of members of the MSM using those terms dozens of times right up until Trump did as well.

And I should also note that a Nexis search revealed that Asian news services were also calling it the Wuhan virus.

So much for it being racist.

That's because we are fully aware of why Trump and then his idolizers are calling it the Chinese flu, and it isn't because it originated in China, it's to place blame on the chinese. I mean you guys know that, you're just feigning ignorance as usual.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So it magically became racist just for this one disease and was just fine before that?

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The funny thing is that if Black Jesus was still in the White House, or Hillary, and they did the exact same things Trump has done, liberals would be singing their praises about how masterfully they handled the crisis. Handsy Joe finally stopped talking about his plan for the Chine flu, because every time he did, it was either something Trump had already done, was currently doing, or had already proposed.
    Odd that you think Obama would ever retreat to a bunker while tweeting crap like Trump has.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So it magically became racist just for this one disease and was just fine before that?
    Correct, the intent of Trump and those of you who continue to use it, was to cast blame, not to point out where it originated.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That they predate January of 2020 is going to be pretty much a given since we usually don't have a different epidemic or pandemic every month or so.
    You think those video clips predate *January*? Not the ones I recognized but ok :).

Still some are very recent like MERS and West Nile Virus.
    I'd be fine with not naming a disease after the location from which it originates because I don't see how that is helpful and it has the potential to go wrong. What's wrong with retiring the "China Flu" name since we now have Americans being persecuted?

God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Right. But calling it the "China flu" makes that issue worse.
    Saying it originated in Wuhan Market does the same thing.

Ok. And if it were found that people from those places were facing persecution which was made worse due to the name attached to that virus wouldn't you agree that the right thing to do would be to use a different name?
    You'd be hard pressed to prove that the name was the contributing factor.

How is this even a discussion? Didn't people used to call AIDS the "gay plague"? What was wrong with that name?
    Because it is not accurate or the same. The HIV virus did not originate in a place called "gay".

Sure. But we live in a world populated with idiots. So responsible people take the general population into account when deciding how they should behave.
    True. But you can't account for everything that someone will use for inspiration to act a fool. See Charles Manson and the White Album for instance.

Safer, yes. Shouldn't I, as a husband and a father, take every opportunity to make them safer?
    So, are you going to fight next to suppress the origin of the virus? Because THAT is much more impactful to idiots looking for "payback" for the virus.

As I pointed out to MM, the bible calls you to account for how your actions affect those who are new in Christ. Why is this not like that?
    It's a "where do you draw the line" thing. You have no idea what makes someone else stumble, so you can only act according to what you know offends them.

Perhaps it won't matter to those who are truly far gone (say, a typical RWNJ).
    Or a LWNJ

But we live in a population on a spectrum. There are some individuals who *will* be nudged towards behavior we both oppose when they hear the message which can be taken as "this group is to blame for your problems." Are you going to claim that such individuals don't exist? That there is a hard bifurcation of the population between "idiots" and "saints"?
    Oh, no doubt. But again, what is more important to squash from this perspective? The name or the information itself of where it came from? The first is transient. The second is not. Changing the name does not change the origin.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It became racist to continue using the term the moment people in our society started singling out Asian people for persecution. Just like when I used the term "spear chucker" once in a totally non-racist way to describe literal spear wielders in a video game it wasn't racist but if I used it again, now that I know better, it *would* be racist.

I would even go as far as to say that, in a not too large number of years, it wouldn't really be racist to use the term "China Flu" anymore. Just like the word "Queer" is mostly used in non-homophobic ways now. Context and society matter when determining what is appropriate or not.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 06-02-2020 at 12:16 PM.

God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    ...you're just feigning ignorance as usual.
    Sorry, Jimmy... the last thing I want to feign is acting like you.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---