Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 97

Thread: Trump exposed

  1. #51
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,739
    Amen (Given)
    5607
    Amen (Received)
    23912
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    It became racist to continue using the term the moment people in our society started singling out Asian people for persecution. Just like when I used the term "spear chucker" once in a totally non-racist way to describe literal spear wielders in a video game it wasn't racist but if I used it again, now that I know better, it *would* be racist.

    I would even go as far as to say that, in a not too large number of years, it wouldn't really be racist to use the term "China Flu" anymore. Just like the word "Queer" is mostly used in non-homophobic ways now. Context and society matter when determining what is appropriate or not.
    You think they did it just because of the name? That these turds couldn't figure out where it came from no matter what it was called? That they wouldn't be racist thugs if only we didn't call the disease based on the country it came from? Dream on.

  2. #52
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,135
    Amen (Given)
    165
    Amen (Received)
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You think they did it just because of the name? That these turds couldn't figure out where it came from no matter what it was called? That they wouldn't be racist thugs if only we didn't call the disease based on the country it came from? Dream on.
    That's a total straw man. I didn't say that they would have no idea where it came from. I said that the FBI has explicitly warned that anti-Asian hate is on the rise. Therefore, I'm saying, that anything which could unnecessarily feed that hate should be avoided.

    *WHY* not just do this simple thing? Why die on *this* hill?

  3. #53
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,739
    Amen (Given)
    5607
    Amen (Received)
    23912
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    That's a total straw man. I didn't say that they would have no idea where it came from. I said that the FBI has explicitly warned that anti-Asian hate is on the rise. Therefore, I'm saying, that anything which could unnecessarily feed that hate should be avoided.

    *WHY* not just do this simple thing? Why die on *this* hill?
    I have no hill to defend. I am just saying your argument is fallacious. You seem to think that what we call a disease causes bad people to beat up asians. They would do it no matter what we called it. Bad people are bad people. They need no excuse to be hateful.

    I could use your same argument to say that we should not allow black people to peacefully protest any injustice to them because rioting is on the rise, so we should avoid any unnecessary gatherings that could be used as an excuse to riot and loot.

    ( I personally call it COVID-19. )

  4. #54
    tWebber Whateverman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    789
    Amen (Given)
    166
    Amen (Received)
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Traditionally, we have named diseases after where the first outbreak is noticed. The only exception now seems to be when China is involved.

    Moreover, isn't it funny how it was alright for those in the MSM to refer to it as Wuhan coronavirus and Chinese coronavirus right up to the instant Trump did and then magically the same folks who had been using those same terms puffed out their chests and self-righteously started squeaking and screeching about racism and xenophobia. HERE is a video of members of the MSM using those terms dozens of times right up until Trump did as well.

    And I should also note that a Nexis search revealed that Asian news services were also calling it the Wuhan virus.

    So much for it being racist.
    Naming those things for specific geographic locations rather than nations removes nationalism from the equation. Most of the items in your list avoid that problem.

    Spanish Flu, American Trypanosomiasis and German Measles are all examples of what I'm referring to as bad. They ARE bad, because they lay blame upon an entire country, rather than the specific place where the malady emerged from.

    Wuhan Virus is fine; Chinese Virus is not. And when spoken by a nationalist, the nomenclature makes all the difference.

  5. #55
    God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,663
    Amen (Given)
    8249
    Amen (Received)
    8792
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    Naming those things for specific geographic locations rather than nations removes nationalism from the equation. Most of the items in your list avoid that problem.

    Spanish Flu, American Trypanosomiasis and German Measles are all examples of what I'm referring to as bad. They ARE bad, because they lay blame upon an entire country, rather than the specific place where the malady emerged from.

    Wuhan Virus is fine; Chinese Virus is not. And when spoken by a nationalist, the nomenclature makes all the difference.
    Since when is naming something "assigning blame"?


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

  6. #56
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,135
    Amen (Given)
    165
    Amen (Received)
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have no hill to defend. I am just saying your argument is fallacious. You seem to think that what we call a disease causes bad people to beat up asians. They would do it no matter what we called it. Bad people are bad people. They need no excuse to be hateful.

    I could use your same argument to say that we should not allow black people to peacefully protest any injustice to them because rioting is on the rise, so we should avoid any unnecessary gatherings that could be used as an excuse to riot and loot.

    ( I personally call it COVID-19. )
    Subtle differences in how we speak can have a significant impact when considering a society as large and racist as ours is. Look at how openly hostile Trump is to reporters of Asian descent on camera! WH officials have used the term "Kung Flu" openly! You're telling me Trump's easily manipulated base won't put 2 and 2 together?

    If you really want to drill into your rioting example we can but honestly it's a bad enough analogy I doubt you will actually stand behind it.

  7. #57
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    54,739
    Amen (Given)
    5607
    Amen (Received)
    23912
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    Subtle differences in how we speak can have a significant impact when considering a society as large and racist as ours is. Look at how openly hostile Trump is to reporters of Asian descent on camera! WH officials have used the term "Kung Flu" openly! You're telling me Trump's easily manipulated base won't put 2 and 2 together?

    If you really want to drill into your rioting example we can but honestly it's a bad enough analogy I doubt you will actually stand behind it.
    Ah so now you are just attacking Trump's base, calling them both gullible and racist. I think we are done here.

    I knew there was an agenda in your argument somewhere. Thanks for exposing it.

  8. Amen Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
  9. #58
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,135
    Amen (Given)
    165
    Amen (Received)
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Ah so now you are just attacking Trump's base, calling them both gullible and racist. I think we are done here.

    I knew there was an agenda in your argument somewhere. Thanks for exposing it.
    So you don't agree that a good portion of Trump's base is gullible and racist?! Is that really in dispute?

    In any case, it's obvious you're desperate for an excuse to run away so go ahead :).

  10. #59
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    581
    Amen (Given)
    0
    Amen (Received)
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have no hill to defend. I am just saying your argument is fallacious. You seem to think that what we call a disease causes bad people to beat up asians. They would do it no matter what we called it. Bad people are bad people. They need no excuse to be hateful.

    I could use your same argument to say that we should not allow black people to peacefully protest any injustice to them because rioting is on the rise, so we should avoid any unnecessary gatherings that could be used as an excuse to riot and loot.

    ( I personally call it COVID-19. )
    The point is that Trump maliciously calls it ‘chinese’ to deflect accountability for this ongoing crisis and hope there are people that are naive or simple enough to actually believe that China is to blame for everything bad that’s currently happening in the US as a result of this pandemic. It’s these idiots that then go out and assault asians believing they are to blame for this current state.

    Trump didn’t cross out ‘corona’ in his speech and replace it with ‘China’ because people needed to know where it originated from. It’s clearly become a malicious term which is why most people have stopped calling it that and the people that still call it that know exactly why they do it.

  11. #60
    God bless the USA. Ack!! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Central VA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,663
    Amen (Given)
    8249
    Amen (Received)
    8792
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    So you don't agree that a good portion of Trump's base is gullible and racist?! Is that really in dispute?
    Gullible, yes, as most Americans are. Racist? Define "a good portion"...

    In any case, it's obvious you're desperate for an excuse to run away so go ahead :).
    Mic dropping isn't running away.


    Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

    I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •