Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Time For Martial Law...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time For Martial Law...

...or should we just let our cities burn and be looted.

In the United States martial law has been declared for a state or other locality under various circumstances including after a direct foreign attack (Hawaii after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor; New Orleans during the Battle of New Orleans); after a major disaster (Chicago after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871; San Francisco after the earthquake of 1906); and in response to chaos associated with protests and mob action (San Francisco during the 1934 West Coast waterfront strike; Montgomery, Alabama, following the mob actions against the Freedom Riders). It has also been declared by renegade local leaders seeking to avoid arrest or challenges to their authority (Nauvoo, Illinois by Joseph Smith during the Illinois Mormon War and Utah by Governor Brigham Young during the Utah War). [34]

The martial law concept in the United States is closely tied with the right of habeas corpus, which is in essence the right to a hearing on lawful imprisonment, or more broadly, the supervision of law enforcement by the judiciary. The ability to suspend habeas corpus is related to the imposition of martial law.[35] Article 1, Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution states, "The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it." There have been many instances of the use of the military within the borders of the United States, such as during the Whiskey Rebellion and in the South during the Civil Rights Movement, but these acts are not tantamount to a declaration of martial law. The distinction must be made as clear as that between martial law and military justice: deployment of troops does not necessarily mean that the civil courts cannot function, and as the Supreme Court has noted, that is one of the keys to martial law.

In United States law, martial law is limited by several court decisions handed down between the American Civil War and World War II. In 1878, Congress passed the Posse Comitatus Act, which forbids U.S. military involvement in domestic law enforcement without congressional approval.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martial_law#United_States
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

No. At this time, martial law is a large over reaction.
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      No. At this time, martial law is a large over reaction.
      Really? If not now, when should martial law be used? We have 30 major cities being burned and looted.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          No.
          Then what will stop the carnage?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            It is what it is. Many, if not most conservatives knew this day was coming, so hopefully they appropriately armed themselves.

Comment

Waking up to the racial disparity in this country and changing it instead of rallying behind racist memes and stereotypes that try to put the blame on the oppressed rather than the oppressor.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

...or should we just let our cities burn and be looted.
                I'm not sure about martial law. I know that in my neck of the woods that there is no need for it.

I wonder how most resident feel in larger cities. I know that my family and friends in California are against it.

Comment

It would take a powerful charismatic leader of the black community.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Waking up to the racial disparity in this country and changing it instead of rallying behind racist memes and stereotypes that try to put the blame on the oppressed rather than the oppressor.
                    media racism.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And stupid rhyming slogans like "Silence is Compliance". IOW, unless a person goes marching around like a boob with a ring in their nose then they are being silent and compliant. I refuse to be corralled.

Comment

Oh please Jim - racial disparity in what sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          It would take a powerful charismatic leader of the black community.
                          Obama may be the man for the task.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            I think he might end up as Biden's running mate. There is no rule against a former president running as a VP.

Third term by proxy.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Won't help at all. Garcetti tried that strategy here in LA. Rolled out a bunch black community leaders on camera, to no avail. Everyone is assuming this is only driven by police brutality and racial tension, but it's not.

Comment