Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

I'm beginning to doubt Trump's relection chances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darth Ovious View Post
    I hope you're going to suggest that another party comes along to replace the republicans because you'll not like a 1 party system.
    If we're lucky the far left of the Democratic party will split and the remainder will drift a little to the right.
    If we're unlucky the far right of the Democratic party will split off instead.

A country without a center-right party only invites a far right party to form a la the GOF.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      Did you take a look at Trump's answer? There was neither policy nor coherency contained therein.
      Out of interest as a British person here. What policy could a US President put in place here. From my understanding the police are run at a state level and I thought if there was going to be any change on a government level it would come through congress. Just asking as I'm not sure what the role of the President is able to do or not do really.
      “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
        Both will undoubtedly be given scripted answers to memorize prior to the debate. Trump's performance will depend on whether he sticks to the memorized script or goes off the cuff. Biden won't be able to remember anything. And if it gets personal and hostile (and there's no reason to think it won't because that's Trump's style) like it did during the Hillary/Trump debate or the Trump/Bush debate, Biden will become even more agitated and confused. All in all, I firmly believe it will a national embarrassment to our country if that debate happens.
        Nah, I'm British and I think it will be hilarious. Good entertainment.
        “I didn’t go to religion to make me happy. I always knew a bottle of Port would do that. If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity.” - C.S. Lewis

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          If we're lucky the far left of the Democratic party will split and the remainder will drift a little to the right.
          If we're unlucky the far right of the Democratic party will split off instead.

A country without a center-right party only invites a far right party to form a la the GOF.
          Libertarian party to the rescue perhaps. As far as I'm concerned a political party isn't down and out for too long. There is always a recovery. People always talk about a party being obliterated and never coming back but it doesn't happen. Some people thought the Republicans were out for good when Obama was President but they did come back, the same with the Conservatives here in the UK. Even if Trump does win another 4 years the Dems will be back at some point. The only exception is when a country turns to a Dictatorship and the entire opposition is arrested. Sure that party ain't coming back soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
            Oh man...

I disagree with this pretty strongly, though the subject is admittedly complicated. The short version of my answer is that the GOP have changed completely in the last decade, and there's no reason they couldn't do it again in the next.

EDIT: heck, anyone who's spent time discussing the history of US slavery probably already recognizes that what we call "Republicans" in this century were known as "Democrats" in the previous one.
            No. The Democrats are still the same Democrats, they just wear a different hood.

They still want to keep blacks on their plantation. They were still naming a former grand kleagle of the KKK as president pro tem of the Senate (third in line for the presidency after the VP and Speaker of the House) until about ten years ago. A guy who felt comfortable using the n-word a couple times on national TV not long before that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
              Both will undoubtedly be given scripted answers to memorize prior to the debate. Trump's performance will depend on whether he sticks to the memorized script or goes off the cuff. Biden won't be able to remember anything. And if it gets personal and hostile (and there's no reason to think it won't because that's Trump's style) like it did during the Hillary/Trump debate or the Trump/Bush debate, Biden will become even more agitated and confused. All in all, I firmly believe it will a national embarrassment to our country if that debate happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                The Democrats are still the same Democrats
                Nope. Today's Republicans are yesterday's Democrats.

If you want to get into the blame game, the GOP's racist history is spelled out loud and clear. If instead you think trying to lay the blame for slavery on one party or another is stupid, just stop trying.
                Last edited by Whateverman; 06-11-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• But since the Repubs make it so so difficult for blacks to vote, Trump still has a chance; at an illegitimate and lawless administration.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• You guys are amusing.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      since the Repubs make it so so difficult for blacks to vote, Trump still has a chance; at an illegitimate and lawless administration.
                      There's a silver lining to the re-elected Trump cloud, and it's the make up of congress. There are signs pointing to Dems taking both the House and Senate. If this happens, the federal government would no longer be lawless.

ps. yes, the word lawless isn't literally true, but in a general sense, Republicans refuse to hold their orange messiah to account for his actions. There's a better-than-even chance that if Trump's re-elected, congressional Republicans will no longer be able to shield him.

Comment

ps. yes, the word lawless isn't literally true...
                        Much of what you type here isn't literally true, but, hey --- it makes for a good rant.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                          There's a silver lining to the re-elected Trump cloud, and it's the make up of congress.
                          There are signs pointing to Dems taking both the House and Senate.
                          If this happens, the federal government would no longer be lawless.
                          Yes, the word lawless isn't literally true, but in a general sense,
                          Republicans refuse to hold their orange messiah to account for his actions.
                          There's a better-than-even chance that if Trump's re-elected, congressional Republicans
                          will no longer be able to shield him.
                          Much of what you type here isn't literally true, but, hey --- it makes for a good rant.
                          I don't believe I've ranted here or anywhere

If you've got a beef with something I've said, elaborating might help clear up any confusion...

EDIT: Edited by a Moderator is up with the site breaking a single quote into multiples???

Moderated By: QuantaFille

Watch your language. Also I fixed the quote issue. You had a stray font tag in the middle of the quote.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                          Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by QuantaFille; 06-11-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            You guys are amusing.
                            Sarah Cooper lip-syncing Trump on YouTube is much more amusing. She will help you get in the groove.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              Sarah Cooper lip-syncing Trump on YouTube is much more amusing. She will help you get in the groove.
                              You always have my best interests at heart.

Comment

Nope. Today's Republicans are yesterday's Democrats.

If you want to get into the blame game, the GOP's racist history is spelled out loud and clear. If instead you think trying to lay the blame for slavery on one party or another is stupid, just stop trying.
                                You keep claiming this and it's simply not true. If anyone supports policies that have deep racist undertones (and I mean REAL racist eugenicist similarities in the past where attempts and discussions to eliminate minority reproduction were openly discussed), it's the Dems, whether they're doing it unwittingly or not.
                                Last edited by seanD; 06-11-2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment