Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

George Floyd's Brother Calling for Peace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Floyd's Brother Calling for Peace

let's see if the MSM plays this NEARLY as much as they've played the "boot on the neck" over and over and over and over...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    let's see if the MSM plays this NEARLY as much as they've played the "boot on the neck" over and over and over and over...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

"One more thing I want from y'all..... " he's making an excellent point --- there's all this hoopla and demonstrating right after an incident, then everybody drops it and moves on.
      He's calling for prosecuting the police responsible, and voting for change, but STOP the violence.

Amen!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Peace on the left - Justice on the Right". That's the new chant for today.

Comment

So, ya got white dudes appealing for us to "understand" the frustration of the black community, virtually excusing the riots, but...

George Floyd's brother says violent protests are 'overshadowing' his memory because he 'was about peace' and the unrest is a 'destructive unity'

Let's listen to the black dude!

(and I would not be the least bit surprised if some nutter accuses me of being racist with this statement)

Comment

he needs to distance himself from those who are yelling no justice no peace, calling for the arrest of All policemen and using the Malcom X gesture behind him.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
              he needs to distance himself from those who are yelling no justice no peace and using the Malcom X gesture behind him.
              Yeah, I think George's brother was not comfortable with all that - the one dude was walking around trying to stoke up emotions, which was NOT consistent with what Terrence was appealing.

Comment

I really liked his speech, and that of the preacher.

Here is a link to a video of it.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCNews/vid...5847030533569/

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I really liked his speech, and that of the preacher.

Here is a link to a video of it.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCNews/vid...5847030533569/

Thanks for the video - yeah.... The other dude calling for the "fists up" wasn't quite getting the message, but I think Terrence reeled it in nicely.

THIS is the kind of call for peace AND justice we need.

Comment

"Peace on the left - Justice on the Right". That's the new chant for today.
                    I'm usually stereotyped as being on the left side of the fence. Truth-be-told, I lean slightly left on a number of issues, but I consider myself more of a centrist, seeing values worth holding/exploring from both sides.

I mentioned the above because I take issue with your quote above. Yes, I'm slightly liberal, so I guess my objection could be viewed as defensiveness or whatever - but my objection isn't about a need for peace on the Left. Instead, there are two issues being conflated here (by most people, not just you): the need for justice, and the need for the cessation of rioting. I do not think the rioting is being caused by the need for racial justice.

Instead, I point to reports of the rioters coming (mostly?) from places outside of the affected communities. The protests appear to be being used to hide anarchist influences: people who want to sew violence and dissension more than they care about a black man being (apparently) murdered by the police. I also point to video tape of officers standing with the protesters in some places. The "msm" today is showing video of some officer hugging a protester, and still captures of other officers standing with the protesters.

I think peace is needed from the people who are rioting, who aren't necessarily affiliated with the protesters. As for whether justice is needed from the right, sure, a little - but I also want the left to stop calling for all four officers to be strung up. They all got fired, and one has been jailed - the wheels of justice need the time to figure out what to do with the other three.

---

I guess my post is a complaint at the conflation of the rioting and the protesting. There may be some overlap, but as far as I can tell, the cause of the former isn't necessarily related to the latter...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                      I'm usually stereotyped as being on the left side of the fence. Truth-be-told, I lean slightly left on a number of issues, but I consider myself more of a centrist, seeing values worth holding/exploring from both sides.

I mentioned the above because I take issue with your quote above.
                      OK, first of all, you realize that's the chant that they were employing at the memorial today, yes? It was George's own brother who was calling for that.

Yes, I'm slightly liberal, so I guess my objection could be viewed as defensiveness or whatever - but my objection isn't about a need for peace on the Left. Instead, there are two issues being conflated here (by most people, not just you): the need for justice, and the need for the cessation of rioting. I do not think the rioting is being caused by the need for racial justice.
                      ok.....

Instead, I point to reports of the rioters coming (mostly?) from places outside of the affected communities.
                      I had claimed that, but backed off, because I can't really support that with cites, and have actually seen evidence to the contrary.

The protests appear to be being used to hide anarchist influences: people who want to sew violence and dissension more than they care about a black man being (apparently) murdered by the police. I also point to video tape of officers standing with the protesters in some places. The "msm" today is showing video of some officer hugging a protester, and still captures of other officers standing with the protesters.
                      I don't think we disagree on that, and I've actually posted about some of the "cop hugging" myself.

I think peace is needed from the people who are rioting, who aren't necessarily affiliated with the protesters. As for whether justice is needed from the right, sure, a little - but I also want the left to stop calling for all four officers to be strung up. They all got fired, and one has been jailed - the wheels of justice need the time to figure out what to do with the other three.
                      "strung up"? I believe that if they, in their official capacity of peace officers, failed to intervene in a crime in progress - they are accessories to the fact.

---

I guess my post is a complaint at the conflation of the rioting and the protesting. There may be some overlap, but as far as I can tell, the cause of the former isn't necessarily related to the latter...
                      Which is why I applaud George's brother trying hard to make that demarcation. That's what's needed. BLACK voices calling for reason.

Comment

... but I also want the left to stop calling for all four officers to be strung up. They all got fired, and one has been jailed - the wheels of justice need the time to figure out what to do with the other three....
                        Want to come back to this, because I read too quickly and missed your emphasis on "time to figure out what to do with the other three".

Yeah, true.

My point is that PART of the needed change that I see is, like so often true, ACCOUNTABILITY. It has been drilled into our officers that, if you see another officer abusing power or "getting carried away" - it is YOUR job to step in and de-escalate the situation.
                        That is hammered into them all the time.

Case in point --- it is not at all unusual for an officer to have been involved in a high speed chase, maybe even a vehicle crash and a foot chase, then, apprehending the subject, the adrenaline doesn't just "shut off". It's REALLY easy to go way beyond "sufficient force as required to effect the arrest". This is where other officers need to step in and de-escalate.

But let's be clear (lest certain posters try to make me say something I'm clearly NOT saying) - I do NOT see this "adrenaline" problem in the George Floyd case - but at least ONE of those other officers should have stepped in. Dereliction of duty, to me.

Comment

That's what's needed. BLACK voices calling for reason.
                          If you watch the video of the rioting, you can clearly see whites and Latinos in the mix.

I don't think the riots have much (if anything) to do with the apparent murder of George Floyd.

Comment

I remember when Rodney King called for peace. I don't believe the rioters were interested.

Comment

If you watch the video of the rioting, you can clearly see whites and Latinos in the mix.
                              Yes, no doubt.

I don't think the riots have much (if anything) to do with the apparent murder of George Floyd.
                              Which is exactly why Terrence, George's brother, is calling for reason.

Comment