Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: George Floyd's Brother Calling for Peace

  1. #11
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,854
    Amen (Given)
    14051
    Amen (Received)
    28906
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    I'm usually stereotyped as being on the left side of the fence. Truth-be-told, I lean slightly left on a number of issues, but I consider myself more of a centrist, seeing values worth holding/exploring from both sides.

    I mentioned the above because I take issue with your quote above.
    OK, first of all, you realize that's the chant that they were employing at the memorial today, yes? It was George's own brother who was calling for that.

    Yes, I'm slightly liberal, so I guess my objection could be viewed as defensiveness or whatever - but my objection isn't about a need for peace on the Left. Instead, there are two issues being conflated here (by most people, not just you): the need for justice, and the need for the cessation of rioting. I do not think the rioting is being caused by the need for racial justice.
    ok.....

    Instead, I point to reports of the rioters coming (mostly?) from places outside of the affected communities.
    I had claimed that, but backed off, because I can't really support that with cites, and have actually seen evidence to the contrary.

    The protests appear to be being used to hide anarchist influences: people who want to sew violence and dissension more than they care about a black man being (apparently) murdered by the police. I also point to video tape of officers standing with the protesters in some places. The "msm" today is showing video of some officer hugging a protester, and still captures of other officers standing with the protesters.
    I don't think we disagree on that, and I've actually posted about some of the "cop hugging" myself.

    I think peace is needed from the people who are rioting, who aren't necessarily affiliated with the protesters. As for whether justice is needed from the right, sure, a little - but I also want the left to stop calling for all four officers to be strung up. They all got fired, and one has been jailed - the wheels of justice need the time to figure out what to do with the other three.
    "strung up"? I believe that if they, in their official capacity of peace officers, failed to intervene in a crime in progress - they are accessories to the fact.

    ---

    I guess my post is a complaint at the conflation of the rioting and the protesting. There may be some overlap, but as far as I can tell, the cause of the former isn't necessarily related to the latter...
    Which is why I applaud George's brother trying hard to make that demarcation. That's what's needed. BLACK voices calling for reason.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  2. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  3. #12
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,854
    Amen (Given)
    14051
    Amen (Received)
    28906
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    ... but I also want the left to stop calling for all four officers to be strung up. They all got fired, and one has been jailed - the wheels of justice need the time to figure out what to do with the other three....
    Want to come back to this, because I read too quickly and missed your emphasis on "time to figure out what to do with the other three".

    Yeah, true.

    My point is that PART of the needed change that I see is, like so often true, ACCOUNTABILITY. It has been drilled into our officers that, if you see another officer abusing power or "getting carried away" - it is YOUR job to step in and de-escalate the situation.
    That is hammered into them all the time.

    Case in point --- it is not at all unusual for an officer to have been involved in a high speed chase, maybe even a vehicle crash and a foot chase, then, apprehending the subject, the adrenaline doesn't just "shut off". It's REALLY easy to go way beyond "sufficient force as required to effect the arrest". This is where other officers need to step in and de-escalate.

    But let's be clear (lest certain posters try to make me say something I'm clearly NOT saying) - I do NOT see this "adrenaline" problem in the George Floyd case - but at least ONE of those other officers should have stepped in. Dereliction of duty, to me.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  4. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
  5. #13
    tWebber Whateverman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    737
    Amen (Given)
    158
    Amen (Received)
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's what's needed. BLACK voices calling for reason.
    If you watch the video of the rioting, you can clearly see whites and Latinos in the mix.

    I don't think the riots have much (if anything) to do with the apparent murder of George Floyd.

  6. #14
    tWebber Ronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    905
    Amen (Given)
    129
    Amen (Received)
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    let's see if the MSM plays this NEARLY as much as they've played the "boot on the neck" over and over and over and over...
    I remember when Rodney King called for peace. I don't believe the rioters were interested.

  7. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  8. #15
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,854
    Amen (Given)
    14051
    Amen (Received)
    28906
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    If you watch the video of the rioting, you can clearly see whites and Latinos in the mix.
    Yes, no doubt.

    I don't think the riots have much (if anything) to do with the apparent murder of George Floyd.
    Which is exactly why Terrence, George's brother, is calling for reason.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  9. #16
    tWebber Whateverman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    737
    Amen (Given)
    158
    Amen (Received)
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    I remember when Rodney King called for peace. I don't believe the rioters were interested.
    That really gets to the heart of the problem:

    Whether the rioting was catalyzed by the injustice (George Floyd, Rodney King, etc), the thing which keeps it going has nothing to do with the catalyst. The people who keep up the violence/destruction don't really care what started it.

  10. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  11. #17
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,864
    Amen (Given)
    1125
    Amen (Received)
    3487
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    let's see if the MSM plays this NEARLY as much as they've played the "boot on the neck" over and over and over and over...
    It has to be repeated until something is done. So far I haven't seen anything of substance about how this attrocious situation was allowed to come about, or what will be done with it (other than the immediate triage of punishing the murder).

  12. #18
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,893
    Amen (Given)
    376
    Amen (Received)
    1420
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    That really gets to the heart of the problem:

    Whether the rioting was catalyzed by the injustice (George Floyd, Rodney King, etc), the thing which keeps it going has nothing to do with the catalyst. The people who keep up the violence/destruction don't really care what started it.
    It clearly wasn't just about Floyd. We've seen riots over police injustice since Rodney King and the violence and destruction was never this bad or widespread across the country before.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

  13. #19
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    64,854
    Amen (Given)
    14051
    Amen (Received)
    28906
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    It has to be repeated until something is done.
    I disagree - I don't know ANY sane rational person who even TRIES to defend it, and all you'll accomplish by showing it over and over is fuel violence.

    So far I haven't seen anything of substance about how this attrocious situation was allowed to come about, or what will be done with it (other than the immediate triage of punishing the murder).
    I still think the chief needs to be fired. It happened under his watch.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

  14. #20
    tWebber Whateverman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    737
    Amen (Given)
    158
    Amen (Received)
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    It clearly wasn't just about Floyd. We've seen riots over police injustice since Rodney King and the violence and destruction was never this bad or widespread across the country before.
    I guess I would have lumped all police (racial) injustice in with the protests. I chose "Floyd" because he's the latest example of it.

    I doubt that today's rioting has much to do with Floyd, Arbery, King, etc...

    ps. as a white guy, I could easily be wrong. Still, the rioting seems less to do with racial justice, and more to do with general civil unrest.
    Last edited by Whateverman; 06-01-2020 at 01:38 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •