Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: George Floyd's Brother Calling for Peace

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    I guess I would have lumped all police (racial) injustice in with the protests. I chose "Floyd" because he's the latest example of it.

I doubt that today's rioting has much to do with Floyd, Arbery, King, etc...

ps. as a white guy, I could easily be wrong. Still, the rioting seems less to do with racial justice, and more to do with general civil unrest.
    I was agreeing with you. All the "social leaders" are trying to figure out why this is happening and pointing fingers (or they're just are playing dumb) when it's obvious what the underlying catalyst is.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    It has to be repeated until something is done. So far I haven't seen anything of substance about how this attrocious situation was allowed to come about, or what will be done with it (other than the immediate triage of punishing the murder).
    The people of Minneapolis really need to address it. The rest of the country has no control over that city.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    That really gets to the heart of the problem:

Whether the rioting was catalyzed by the injustice (George Floyd, Rodney King, etc), the thing which keeps it going has nothing to do with the catalyst. The people who keep up the violence/destruction don't really care what started it.
    It's a mixture of people who are trying to enact some change, anarchists, hoodlums, and (now termed) "domestic terrorists" Antifa. I know a state senator in Atlanta is convinced that the bad players in his city are outsiders and most likely Antifa.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Anybody else notice our Tweb leftists are absent from this thread?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

5. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Shouldn't they be calling Terrance Floyd an "Uncle Tom" by now?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, ya got white dudes appealing for us to "understand" the frustration of the black community, virtually excusing the riots, but...

George Floyd's brother says violent protests are 'overshadowing' his memory because he 'was about peace' and the unrest is a 'destructive unity'

Let's listen to the black dude!

(and I would not be the least bit surprised if some nutter accuses me of being racist with this statement)
    The calls to listen are directed at those actually protesting the social disparities, the element Floyd's brother asked to continue.

The violence is a disruptive element encouraged as much by forces on the right as forces on the left. and from what I've seen from cnn etc, they are openly struggling with how to balance the need to inform about where the violence is happening without creating the appearance that is their focus. I have seen reporters emphasise that on the air live. Trying to make the point that most, almost all in fact, are peacefully protesting legitimate inequities and calling for real change.

Floyd's brother is not asking for the protests to stop, he is not countering thos white people asking for us to understand the rage and frustration that has caused nationwide protests. He is appealing to all to stop taking that as an excuse for violence.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Shouldn't they be calling Terrance Floyd an "Uncle Tom" by now?
    He's probably not even really black.....

In case anybody missed it, that was sarcasm.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    The calls to listen are directed at those actually protesting the social disparities, the element Floyd's brother asked to continue.

The violence is a disruptive element encouraged as much by forces on the right as forces on the left. and from what I've seen from cnn etc, they are openly struggling with how to balance the need to inform about where the violence is happening without creating the appearance that is their focus. I have seen reporters emphasise that on the air live. Trying to make the point that most, almost all in fact, are peacefully protesting legitimate inequities and calling for real change.

Floyd's brother is not asking for the protests to stop, he is not countering thos white people asking for us to understand the rage and frustration that has caused nationwide protests. He is appealing to all to stop taking that as an excuse for violence.

George Floyd's brother says violent protests are 'overshadowing' his memory because he 'was about peace' and the unrest is a 'destructive unity'
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    yep, he's against the violent protests, not the peaceful protests.

Source: Floyd's brother

"It's OK to be angry, but channel your anger to do something positive or make a change another way because we've been down this road already," Terrence continued. "The anger...damaging your hometown is not the way he'd want."

© Copyright Original Source

Most of the protests themselves are peaceful, or start out that way. But as evening approaches destructive forces steal the show. There is good evidence that at least some of the violence is directed by white supremacists wanting to undermine the legitimacy of the protests.

My point is the peaceful element of the protests are warranted and not themselves being discouraged by Floyd's brother. Your statement was sufficiently vague (i.e. did not acknowledge the majority of the protests are peaceful) that I felt clarification was needed.

The issue is not that there are protests, it is that some of them turn violent, and that needs to stop. An element most of us, black or white, can agree on.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-02-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm invisible to you aren't I.