Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump wants flag burning banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Trump wants flag burning banned

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...rotesters.html

“I’m not a believer in flag-burning,” the president said on the call. “And I would think that if a state wanted to try to pass a law that you’re not allowed to burn flags, with a certain punishment — a strong punishment — I would think that the United States government would be backing you up all the way.”

This isn't as important as his many other recent atrocities but it is another data point showing that he simply doesn't value the Constitution in the same way the rest of us do.

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    This isn't as important as his many other recent atrocities but it is another data point showing that he simply doesn't value the Constitution in the same way the rest of us do.
    Your trolling needs some work. You need to take some lessons Firstfloor. He really knows how to pull it off. His one liners are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...rotesters.html

“I’m not a believer in flag-burning,” the president said on the call. “And I would think that if a state wanted to try to pass a law that you’re not allowed to burn flags, with a certain punishment — a strong punishment — I would think that the United States government would be backing you up all the way.”

Absolutely right.

Beyond its usefulness to him personally, our "law and order president" doesn't give a crap about the constitution. He defends free speech only when he likes the speech-in-question, and undermines it when he doesn't.

The man is a narcissist, pure and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Your trolling needs some work. You need to take some lessons Firstfloor. He really knows how to pull it off. His one liners are awesome.
        Are you disagreeing that flag burning is clearly protected by the first amendment?

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

I agree with that!

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

I believe anyone who thinks he should be president is narcissistic, to a degree.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              I believe anyone who thinks he should be president is narcissistic, to a degree.
              I guess I don't, but it at least would be an interesting discussion - and one I think we could find at least some common ground on.

To be clear, though, I used the word in the clinically-diagnostic sense. Trump clearly and regularly exhibits narcissistic traits, in ways neither Obama nor Reagan (et al) ever did. He radiates those traits like a beacon. There's literally no comparison between the way he does it, and the way every other US president may have done the same.

His contempt for the US constitution is just one product of that disorder. His upholding of one of this country's founding documents takes a back seat to how much support he can get from his base.
              Last edited by Whateverman; 06-01-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Texas v. Johnson was a 1989 Supreme Court case that held that flag burning is constitutionally protected speech, so Trump is incorrect that the government would back such a state up.

It was only a 5-4 vote so it easily could have gone the other way.

On a personal level, whatever one thinks of flag burning, I think it seems like the essence of what the first amendment should protect (as long as it's not done in a way that puts other people at harm) - speech that is banned only because it is politically offensive, not because it actually harms anyone.

I felt the same way about the Supreme Court case that allowed Westboro Baptist to protest.
                Last edited by KingsGambit; 06-01-2020, 02:40 PM.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

In Denmark we don't care about flag burning. You wanna burn our flag, go right ahead, we've got another one right here.

Comment

Source: Piet Heins Grooks

Denmark seen from a foreign land
                    looks but like a grain of sand.
                    Denmark as we Danes conceive it
                    is so big you wont believe it.

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                      Texas v. Johnson was a 1989 Supreme Court case that held that flag burning is constitutionally protected speech, so Trump is incorrect that the government would back such a state up.

It was only a 5-4 vote so it easily could have gone the other way.

On a personal level, whatever one thinks of flag burning, I think it seems like the essence of what the first amendment should protect (as long as it's not done in a way that puts other people at harm) - speech that is banned only because it is politically offensive, not because it actually harms anyone.

I felt the same way about the Supreme Court case that allowed Westboro Baptist to protest.
                      Yeah, I just want the guy to do it publicly, so I can use my right not to hire him, not support him in any way, share the video.... I think it's really stupid, but stupidity is not against the law.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I love what the late Douglas Adams had to say about presidents:

The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Why? Narcisim is a sense of entitlement, the inability to handle criticism, a lack of empathy, a sociopath, and an excessive need for admiration. The only President that I'm aware of that fits into that category is the current President.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Yeah, I just want the guy to do it publicly, so I can use my right not to hire him, not support him in any way, share the video.... I think it's really stupid, but stupidity is not against the law.
                            It wouldn't make any sense to do it in private.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              It wouldn't make any sense to do it in private.
                              Do you REALLY think it makes sense to set an American flag on fire, Jim?
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment