Thread: Donald Trump wants flag burning banned

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Donald Trump wants flag burning banned

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...rotesters.html

“I’m not a believer in flag-burning,” the president said on the call. “And I would think that if a state wanted to try to pass a law that you’re not allowed to burn flags, with a certain punishment — a strong punishment — I would think that the United States government would be backing you up all the way.”

This isn't as important as his many other recent atrocities but it is another data point showing that he simply doesn't value the Constitution in the same way the rest of us do.

2. Amen Whateverman amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    This isn't as important as his many other recent atrocities but it is another data point showing that he simply doesn't value the Constitution in the same way the rest of us do.
    Your trolling needs some work. You need to take some lessons Firstfloor. He really knows how to pull it off. His one liners are awesome.

4. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...rotesters.html

“I’m not a believer in flag-burning,” the president said on the call. “And I would think that if a state wanted to try to pass a law that you’re not allowed to burn flags, with a certain punishment — a strong punishment — I would think that the United States government would be backing you up all the way.”

Absolutely right.

Beyond its usefulness to him personally, our "law and order president" doesn't give a crap about the constitution. He defends free speech only when he likes the speech-in-question, and undermines it when he doesn't.

The man is a narcissist, pure and simple.

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Your trolling needs some work. You need to take some lessons Firstfloor. He really knows how to pull it off. His one liners are awesome.
    Are you disagreeing that flag burning is clearly protected by the first amendment?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post

I agree with that!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post

I believe anyone who thinks he should be president is narcissistic, to a degree.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I believe anyone who thinks he should be president is narcissistic, to a degree.
    I guess I don't, but it at least would be an interesting discussion - and one I think we could find at least some common ground on.

To be clear, though, I used the word in the clinically-diagnostic sense. Trump clearly and regularly exhibits narcissistic traits, in ways neither Obama nor Reagan (et al) ever did. He radiates those traits like a beacon. There's literally no comparison between the way he does it, and the way every other US president may have done the same.

His contempt for the US constitution is just one product of that disorder. His upholding of one of this country's founding documents takes a back seat to how much support he can get from his base.
    Last edited by Whateverman; 06-01-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Texas v. Johnson was a 1989 Supreme Court case that held that flag burning is constitutionally protected speech, so Trump is incorrect that the government would back such a state up.

It was only a 5-4 vote so it easily could have gone the other way.

On a personal level, whatever one thinks of flag burning, I think it seems like the essence of what the first amendment should protect (as long as it's not done in a way that puts other people at harm) - speech that is banned only because it is politically offensive, not because it actually harms anyone.

I felt the same way about the Supreme Court case that allowed Westboro Baptist to protest.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 06-01-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

11. Amen Whateverman, JimL amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In Denmark we don't care about flag burning. You wanna burn our flag, go right ahead, we've got another one right here.

13. Amen Whateverman amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Source: Piet Heins Grooks

Denmark seen from a foreign land
    looks but like a grain of sand.
    Denmark as we Danes conceive it
    is so big you wont believe it.

© Copyright Original Source

15. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.