Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Donald Trump wants flag burning banned

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Texas v. Johnson was a 1989 Supreme Court case that held that flag burning is constitutionally protected speech, so Trump is incorrect that the government would back such a state up.

It was only a 5-4 vote so it easily could have gone the other way.

On a personal level, whatever one thinks of flag burning, I think it seems like the essence of what the first amendment should protect (as long as it's not done in a way that puts other people at harm) - speech that is banned only because it is politically offensive, not because it actually harms anyone.

I felt the same way about the Supreme Court case that allowed Westboro Baptist to protest.
    Yeah, I just want the guy to do it publicly, so I can use my right not to hire him, not support him in any way, share the video.... I think it's really stupid, but stupidity is not against the law.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I believe anyone who thinks he should be president is narcissistic, to a degree.
    I love what the late Douglas Adams had to say about presidents:

The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.

To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I believe anyone who thinks he should be president is narcissistic, to a degree.
    Why? Narcisim is a sense of entitlement, the inability to handle criticism, a lack of empathy, a sociopath, and an excessive need for admiration. The only President that I'm aware of that fits into that category is the current President.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, I just want the guy to do it publicly, so I can use my right not to hire him, not support him in any way, share the video.... I think it's really stupid, but stupidity is not against the law.
    It wouldn't make any sense to do it in private.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    It wouldn't make any sense to do it in private.
    Do you REALLY think it makes sense to set an American flag on fire, Jim?
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    To be fair, I find flag burning less disrespectful (depending on the circumstances) than the way the MAGA crowd turns it into every possible tacky clothing permutation.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What I'm saying CP, is that if someone were trying to make a point, to send a message, by burning a Flag, then it really wouldn't make sense to do it in private. But in answe rto your question, yes, of course, burning a flag could make sense. You may not like it, but it could make sense. If someone wanted to send the message that the country isn't living up to the principles that the flag stands for, then burning the flag would certainly get that message across. It isn't the flag that is of the utmost importance, what it sybolizes is what's important.
    Last edited by JimL; 06-01-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    What I'm saying CP, is that if someone were trying to make a point, to send a message, by burning a Flag, then it really wouldn't make sense to do it in private. But in answe rto your question, yes, of course, burning a flag could make sense. You may not like it, but it could make sense. If someone wanted to send the message that the country isn't living up to the principles that the flag stands for, then burning the flag would certainly get that message across.
    Why does it not surprise me that you think burning the US flag, for any reason, or anywhere, makes sense.

It isn't the flag that is of the utmost importance, what it sybolizes is what's important.
    To those of us who served, burning a flag is a kick in the teeth. Not surprised you're OK with it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DivineOb View Post
    To be fair, I find flag burning less disrespectful (depending on the circumstances) than the way the MAGA crowd turns it into every possible tacky clothing permutation.
    And, let's be clear, I have, on more than a few occasions in my official duties as a police officer, stood between protesters burning a flag and angry veterans wanting to chop them into pieces. While I think it's stupid and nasty, I fully recognize that those of us who served did so to protect even the freedoms of the idiots who want to burn the flag.

(I did, after one flag burning, very politely suggest that the morons try to burn "THIS flag", pointing to the one on my left shoulder. They declined)

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    (I did, after one flag burning, very politely suggest that the morons try to burn "THIS flag", pointing to the one on my left shoulder. They declined)
    On your shoulder? As in, attached to you? Why would you basically suggest they burn you? Or is this some cultural reference I'm not aware of..?