Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump wants flag burning banned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Do you REALLY think it makes sense to set an American flag on fire, Jim?
    To be fair, I find flag burning less disrespectful (depending on the circumstances) than the way the MAGA crowd turns it into every possible tacky clothing permutation.

Comment

Do you REALLY think it makes sense to set an American flag on fire, Jim?
      What I'm saying CP, is that if someone were trying to make a point, to send a message, by burning a Flag, then it really wouldn't make sense to do it in private. But in answe rto your question, yes, of course, burning a flag could make sense. You may not like it, but it could make sense. If someone wanted to send the message that the country isn't living up to the principles that the flag stands for, then burning the flag would certainly get that message across. It isn't the flag that is of the utmost importance, what it sybolizes is what's important.
      Last edited by JimL; 06-02-2020, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        What I'm saying CP, is that if someone were trying to make a point, to send a message, by burning a Flag, then it really wouldn't make sense to do it in private. But in answe rto your question, yes, of course, burning a flag could make sense. You may not like it, but it could make sense. If someone wanted to send the message that the country isn't living up to the principles that the flag stands for, then burning the flag would certainly get that message across.
        Why does it not surprise me that you think burning the US flag, for any reason, or anywhere, makes sense.

It isn't the flag that is of the utmost importance, what it sybolizes is what's important.
        To those of us who served, burning a flag is a kick in the teeth. Not surprised you're OK with it.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          To be fair, I find flag burning less disrespectful (depending on the circumstances) than the way the MAGA crowd turns it into every possible tacky clothing permutation.
          And, let's be clear, I have, on more than a few occasions in my official duties as a police officer, stood between protesters burning a flag and angry veterans wanting to chop them into pieces. While I think it's stupid and nasty, I fully recognize that those of us who served did so to protect even the freedoms of the idiots who want to burn the flag.

(I did, after one flag burning, very politely suggest that the morons try to burn "THIS flag", pointing to the one on my left shoulder. They declined)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

(I did, after one flag burning, very politely suggest that the morons try to burn "THIS flag", pointing to the one on my left shoulder. They declined)
            On your shoulder? As in, attached to you? Why would you basically suggest they burn you? Or is this some cultural reference I'm not aware of..?

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
              On your shoulder? As in, attached to you?
              A flag in the form of a shoulder patch, yes.

Why would you basically suggest they burn you? Or is this some cultural reference I'm not aware of..?
              I was young and cocky and I was essentially egging them on to a fight - nothing I'm proud of now.

Comment

Why does it not surprise me that you think burning the US flag, for any reason, or anywhere, makes sense.
                You didn't ask me if I agreed with burning the flag, you asked me if it made sense. Of course it makes sense, it legally sends a message, which is why it is acknowledged to be free speach.

To those of us who served, burning a flag is a kick in the teeth. Not surprised you're OK with it.
                And you speak for everyone who has served, do you?
                Last edited by JimL; 06-02-2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

You didn't ask me if I agreed with burning the flag, you asked me if it made sense. Of course it makes sense, it legally sends a message, which is why it is acknowledge to be free speach.
                  It makes sense to you, Jim, because... well, you're you.

And you speak for everyone who has served, do you?
                  I have yet to meet a vet who thinks burning a flag is not a despicable act -- HOWEVER -- I'm really not around contemporary veterans much at all, so I can't really speak for them.

Comment

It makes sense to you, Jim, because... well, you're you.
                    No, with respect to sending a message it makes sense because it sends a message. Whether you agree with it is another question.

I have yet to meet a vet who thinks burning a flag is not a despicable act -- HOWEVER -- I'm really not around contemporary veterans much at all, so I can't really speak for them.
                    Well just because you haven't met them doesn't mean they don't exist, and disagree with you, because there have been many instances of veterans burning the flag in protest.

Comment

No, with respect to sending a message it makes sense because it sends a message.
                      Well, yeah, to YOU, because you're you. Doing something that you KNOW is going to inflame people to the extent that the message gets lost makes no sense whatsoever.

Whether you agree with it is another question.
                      People often do stupid things that cause their message to be lost in the act, because they fail to understand what the object of the exercise is.

Well just because you haven't met them doesn't mean they don't exist, and disagree with you, because there have been many instances of veterans burning the flag in protest.
                      Which is why I clarified my statement, Jim. Sheeeeesh!

Comment