Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can Anyone Find Evidence Of This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    There are at least 10,000 reasons why you are wrong here.
    Do you understand the difference between consequence and principle?

If you think Trump's actions do not pave the way for worse in our future, then the answer is, no- you don't.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      The recovery of the canister itself is strong circumstantial evidence and makes a prima facie case that the authorities used it. Until you can provide positive evidence that the canister was not used by the employees to clear the square that remains the strongest explanation. The lack of other video confirmation does not impact that assessment.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineBoob View Post
        The recovery of the canister itself is strong circumstantial evidence and makes a prima facie case that the authorities used it. Until you can provide positive evidence that the canister was not used by the employees to clear the square that remains the strongest explanation. The lack of other video confirmation does not impact that assessment.
        If you were prosecuting this case in court, and literally the only evidence you had was a solitary canister of unknown origin found at the scene, you'd be laughed out of the courtroom.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

If you were prosecuting this case in court, and literally the only evidence you had was a solitary canister of unknown origin found at the scene, you'd be laughed out of the courtroom.
          Perhaps. But the standard of evidence is not beyond a reasonable doubt, just a preponderance of the evidence. The leaps required to explain why the *more likely* explanation is not that the canister was used by the authorities (possibly in error?) are simply greater than taking the straightforward interpretation at face value.

Recall that this was a hastily put together crowd control operation against an unruly and violent crowd who had pre-positioned weapons and the President was due on scene shortly. Is it really an easier to accept explanation that the news crew acquired these (illegal for civilian use) canisters and brought them *just in case*? It's just so ludicrous to think that that is the more likely explanation.
          Last edited by DivineOb; 06-06-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Hahaha. This coming from the same guy who doesn’t believe a white man calling a black man the n-word after killing him is evidence of killer’s racism.

Comment

Perhaps. But the standard of evidence is not beyond a reasonable doubt, just a preponderance of the evidence. The leaps required to explain why the *more likely* explanation is not that the canister was used by the authorities (possibly in error?) are simply greater than taking the straightforward interpretation at face value.

Recall that this was a hastily put together crowd control operation against an unruly and violent crowd who had pre-positioned weapons and the President was due on scene shortly. Is it really an easier to accept explanation that the news crew acquired these (illegal for civilian use) canisters and brought them *just in case*? It's just so ludicrous to think that that is the more likely explanation.
              The fact is, we simply don't know the source of the canister, and until that is determined, it's presence at the scene doesn't prove anything one way or another. More significantly, there are no reports of people suffering from the effects of tear gas.

Comment

The fact is, we simply don't know the source of the canister, and until that is determined, it's presence at the scene doesn't prove anything one way or another. More significantly, there are no reports of people suffering from the effects of tear gas.
                And police weren't wearing gas masks. Can you imagine firing tear gas 30 yards in front of you and then marching into that cloud without a mask? I mean, not unless these were the Keystone Cops.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  And police weren't wearing gas masks. Can you imagine firing tear gas 30 yards in front of you and then marching into that cloud without a mask? I mean, not unless these were the Keystone Cops.
                  By the Park Police's admission some officers were wearing gas masks.

Comment

The inconsistency between your evidential requirements for claims you want to believe vs those you don't want to believe makes it impossible for me to even pretend this is an honest dialog. In this very thread you claimed that protestors had stashed weapons for later use without any actual evidence and *no weapons* having been later recovered.

Honestly it just gets tiresome. Though you and "Sparko" are the ones which convinced me that RWNJs just aren't real Americans so I have you to thank for that.
                    Last edited by DivineOb; 06-06-2020, 05:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                      And, to be clear, my analysis came from the picture that was offered as proof that tear gas was used. In THAT picture, the officers were not masked up, and smoke - or something - was clearly in the air.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        And, to be clear, my analysis came from the picture that was offered as proof that tear gas was used. In THAT picture, the officers were not masked up, and smoke - or something - was clearly in the air.
                        Of course. I wasn't impugning your observation.

Comment

Of course. I wasn't impugning your observation.
                          Nor did I take it that way.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Nor did I take it that way.
                            Sure, but if I don't point things like that out I'll never catch up to your post count :).

Comment

"Some officers" doesn't sound like policy when using tear gas. "Some officers" may have opted for masks because of what rioters may throw at them, or even covid. It couldn't have been many because I didn't see any.

I don't believe the sergeant (or whomever) said "OK men, we're going to go out there and fire tear gas. You can wear masks if you want to, but you don't have to."

Comment

In this very thread you claimed that protestors had stashed weapons for later use....
                                I did?

Comment