Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can Anyone Find Evidence Of This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
    You're not doing squat to embarrass me. It's called adjusting one's opinion based on new information. From the photos, it looked he was reading, and your argument why you thought he wasn't reading was asinine. All you had to do was present the video -- new information -- but you chose to make this grand spectacle about it. From the video, he apparently isn't reading. Okay, cool.
    But I won't always be around to do your thinking for you. And there are plenty of people who will offer to do your thinking for you to your (and my) detriment.

Seek out information before going with the first thing you see. Think for a second about whether Schumer would really so flagrantly violate the event and incur the wrath of all of his senior colleagues.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      But I won't always be around to do your thinking for you. And there are plenty of people who will offer to do your thinking for you to your (and my) detriment.

Seek out information before going with the first thing you see. Think for a second about whether Schumer would really so flagrantly violate the event and incur the wrath of all of his senior colleagues.
      You're a drama queen.

It's a forum. It wasn't that big of a deal. And Schumer's definitely capable of it, in fact, they all are. Like they care one wit about Floyd. It's called political grandstanding, and it's the most obviously phony and disgusting display I've ever seen.

Comment

You're a drama queen.

It's a forum. It wasn't that big of a deal. And Schumer's definitely capable of it, in fact, they all are. Like they care one wit about Floyd. It's called political grandstanding, and it's the most obviously phony and disgusting display I've ever seen.
        Ouch. And I'm not the only one that saw right through the charade. Seems some black folks may have even been insulted...

Senator Chuck Schumer and Representative Steny Hoyer wore their stoles over dark suits, as did Senator Kamala Harris. On House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who chose to wear bright red, evidently to coördinate with the rhombuses of green and blue in the cloth, the fabric swung, giving her an inappropriate swagger. There is no event that is too sombre to extinguish the need for style, which we should never dismiss as a frivolity; clothing can communicate dissent or alliance, belonging and political belief. All politics rests on an aspect of performance. But the sight of the mantles literally dragging on the floor—as members of Congress stood up after kneeling for eight minutes and forty-six seconds, assuming a pose that mirrored that of Derek Chauvin, the cop who, with his knee, pressed on the neck of George Floyd, killing him—felt not just misguided but like an outright mockery. The need to deliver a photo op overcame consideration of what the resulting pictures would communicate.

Comment

Ouch. And I'm not the only one that saw right through the charade. Seems some black folks may have even been insulted...
          If you can read and fully understand that article I'll just admit you're right and give you this one. It's pretty dense for this lowly computer scientist.

Comment

No, I want you to *do better* "Sparko." I want you to also care about the truth! I want you to demand the truth even when it is going to show something you don't want to see. You claim to be a Christian so you ought to be the one lecturing *me* about searching for the truth.

The fact that you encouraged seanD in his wrong assessment shows that you don't value truth and don't want others to value it either. Disgraceful.
            Fun fact: Truth isn't what DivineOb says it is. DivineOb can be wrong, and frequently is. Just because I believe something different than you doesn't mean I don't believe the truth and you do. Case in point. You can't tell where "Schumer's gaze" is. That is your OPINION. OPINIONS are not FACTS.

Also fun fact: You are an angry little nerd who wants to pick nonsense fights with "RWNJs" and considers a sci-fi TV show his moral guide.

Carry on, Captain!

Comment

Here is a video of kneeling event. Starting at the linked time stamp you can see Schumer put his notes into a *red folder* then put the *red folder* on the ground.

We *all* need to think before we jump to conclusions. And Christians in particular should think before they encourage a misunderstsanding or misrepresentation.

I'm not doing this to embarrass seanD. I'm doing this to remind *all of us* to take a second before we jump to a conclusion we desire to reach.
              Ok so he wasn't reading something. But his gaze could still be on the folder. Or his eyes could even be closed. You can't tell from that photo. Maybe you could admit that?

Comment

There is a thread on this here.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Ok so he wasn't reading something. But his gaze could still be on the folder. Or his eyes could even be closed. You can't tell from that photo. Maybe you could admit that?
                  His eyes are clearly closed. But, prior to finding that video, I even produced this zoomed in version. I also reproduced his pose with a paper in what I believe was accurate to the picture. You can see the paper and, if you eyes are wide open and you have good eyesight, you could possible read it. But your eyes would most naturally be focused several inches above the top of the paper. Do it for yourself if you if you want.

But beyond all this is the concept that he would have his eyes open during this event which the Democrats were no doubt aware would be derided by those "on the right" and some "on the left." Getting caught reading the paper during this event would just multiply that hugely.

The point is that we should all care about the truth. That's what I do to be sure I'm on the right side of issues. If I have done my work to ensure the things I believe and say are based on facts then I don't have to worry about being wrong.

eyes_closed.jpg
                  Last edited by DivineOb; 06-11-2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

His eyes are clearly closed. But, prior to finding that video, I even produced this zoomed in version.

The point is that we should all care about the truth. That's what I do to be sure I'm on the right side of issues. If I have done my work to ensure the things I believe and say are based on facts then I don't have to worry about being wrong.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45535[/ATTACH]
                    How do you know he wasn't blinking at the time of the shot?

Humor derail - I grew up in a family of 9 kids, plus mom, dad, and gramma, and frequently, after saying grace, somebody would tattle on somebody else "Kathy had her eyes open during the prayer", which, of course, would elicit the response "well, how do you know, were you LOOKING?"

Seriously, I agree we should care about the TRUTH, but this "photo op" isn't about the truth - it's about the Democrats staging an opportunity for themselves to appear "more holy".

And, as often happens, they managed to offend blacks by their 'performance'.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

His eyes are clearly closed. But, prior to finding that video, I even produced this zoomed in version. I also reproduced his pose with a paper in what I believe was accurate to the picture. You can see the paper and, if you eyes are wide open and you have good eyesight, you could possible read it. But your eyes would most naturally be focused several inches above the top of the paper. Do it for yourself if you if you want.

But beyond all this is the concept that he would have his eyes open during this event which the Democrats were no doubt aware would be derided by those "on the right" and some "on the left." Getting caught reading the paper during this event would just multiply that hugely.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45535[/ATTACH]
                      My God you are a nitpicking moron! WOW, just WOW. Do you have OCD or something?

By the way

But, prior to finding that video, I even produced this zoomed in version. I also reproduced his pose with a paper in what I believe was accurate to the picture. You can see the paper and, if you eyes are wide open and you have good eyesight, you could possible read it.
                      Can you give me a link to this post? I can't find it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        How do you know he wasn't blinking at the time of the shot?
                        Because not only would that be unlikely (~10% chance from a quick google, which seems too high based on my own blinking pattern but whatever) there is a ton of outside evidence against the idea that he would have had his eyes open in the first place. Not to mention that *no positive evidence* that he had his eyes open was ever presented.

Humor derail - I grew up in a family of 9 kids, plus mom, dad, and gramma, and frequently, after saying grace, somebody would tattle on somebody else "Kathy had her eyes open during the prayer", which, of course, would elicit the response "well, how do you know, were you LOOKING?"

Seriously, I agree we should care about the TRUTH, but this "photo op" isn't about the truth - it's about the Democrats staging an opportunity for themselves to appear "more holy".

And, as often happens, they managed to offend blacks by their 'performance'.
                        Obviously some people were going to be offended. I could have told you that beforehand. And of course the horseshoe theory demands that anything the Democrats do will be criticized by some "on the left" (for whom, in my mind, that designation is meaningless).

The relevant point, again, is to not jump to conclusions but *test yourself* to give a solid defense of your perspective before immediately jumping to your preferred conclusion. To think that Schumer would risk the anger of his colleagues as well as the people he was ostensibly trying to reach with this display just strains credulity. And your (I assume well intentioned) attempt to shift the conversation to the falsity of actions of the Democrats (obviously this is a political action they have calculated will gain them more votes than it loses them) lets "Sparko" and others anxious to jump to a preferred conclusion off the hook too easily.

Comment

Because not only would that be unlikely (~10% chance from a quick google, which seems too high based on my own blinking pattern but whatever) there is a ton of outside evidence against the idea that he would have had his eyes open in the first place. Not to mention that *no positive evidence* that he had his eyes open was ever presented.
                          You can clearly see him with his eyes open and blinking in the video you posted earlier. He even looks up at the camera guy. at about 5:20
                          Last edited by Sparko; 06-11-2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

There were TWO clues that I was kidding.... one was the use of the smiley, and the other was the use of the humorous anecdote.
                            Seriously, DO, you really outta dial down the drama a tad.

Obviously some people were going to be offended. I could have told you that beforehand.
                            Perhaps they should have hired you for a consult!

And of course the horseshoe theory demands that anything the Democrats do will be criticized by some "on the left" (for whom, in my mind, that designation is meaningless).

The relevant point, again, is to not jump to conclusions but *test yourself* to give a solid defense of your perspective before immediately jumping to your preferred conclusion.
                            Wow - there it goes again --- manure spreader malfunctions and throws the whole load all at once!

To think that Schumer would risk the anger of his colleagues as well as the people he was ostensibly trying to reach with this display just strains credulity. And your (I assume well intentioned) attempt to shift the conversation to the falsity of actions of the Democrats (obviously this is a political action they have calculated will gain them more votes than it loses them) lets "Sparko" and others anxious to jump to a preferred conclusion off the hook too easily.
                            See, here's what happens --- you and I have been having reasonable discussions elsewhere, but it appears that, in your intense battle with Sparko, because I'm his friend, I need to get blasted, too.

If it makes you feel better, blast away, cause I'm a big girl and I can take it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              There were TWO clues that I was kidding.... one was the use of the smiley, and the other was the use of the humorous anecdote.
                              Seriously, DO, you really outta dial down the drama a tad.

Perhaps they should have hired you for a consult!

Wow - there it goes again --- manure spreader malfunctions and throws the whole load all at once!

See, here's what happens --- you and I have been having reasonable discussions elsewhere, but it appears that, in your intense battle with Sparko, because I'm his friend, I need to get blasted, too.

If it makes you feel better, blast away, cause I'm a big girl and I can take it.
                              I find the idea that DivineOb is so invested in some side comment made in the thread that he has seemingly done an in-depth study on Schumer's gaze is hilarious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I find the idea that DivineOb is so invested in some side comment made in the thread that he has seemingly done an in-depth study on Schumer's gaze is hilarious.
                                It's all your fault, Sparko -- I was getting along with DO JUST FINE, til he found out we're buddies - now I must die! Poopiehead!!!

Comment