Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Can Anyone Find Evidence Of This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
    According to here this was arranged absolutely last minute without adequate time for the SS to prepare.
    CNN. Any legitimate sources?

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I agree with most of what you are saying. Here is the deal - the act of clearing them out is an act of complete and total disrespect for who they are, what they are protesting, for why they are there. It's totally the wrong move. This nation needs him to be dealing with the issue in a constructive and productive way. Tear gassing the protesters for a photo op? That is not telling the protesters Trump hears what they are saying or understands why they are there. It sends the opposite message, that they are worthless chaff that are in his way.
      Did they really use tear gas? Because I watched the video of the president walking over to the church and all I saw was the police and secret service blocking anyone from getting to Trump. The police seemed to be chasing people off, but I didn't see any tear gas.

I also think someone (in this thread) mentioned that it was past the curfew and since the protestors have already destroyed public monuments over the last few days, I think a curfew is a good idea.

Comment

Here is an account from one of the clergy attached to the church.

(from the subsequent tweet to the one I linked)

Just spoke with Rev. Gerbasi.

She told me that law enforcement with shields forced priests, others *off the church patio,* meaning they stepped on church property to expel people from it.

Hard to comprehend this as anything more than a hasty action to take the focus off of Biden's church visit earlier today. What a disaster.
        But this doesn't prove a connection to the White House.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Did they really use tear gas? Because I watched the video of the president walking over to the church and all I saw was the police and secret service blocking anyone from getting to Trump. The police seemed to be chasing people off, but I didn't see any tear gas.

I also think someone (in this thread) mentioned that it was past the curfew and since the protestors have already destroyed public monuments over the last few days, I think a curfew is a good idea.
          No. The protesters were cleared out 45 minutes beflre the curfew.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

already given, but I'll repeat it here for your convenience:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/polit...rch/index.html

GOP leaders are defending the act as necessary, not denying the two events were correlated.
            That says Republicans support the President's decision to visit the church. It doesn't say the White House ordered the protestors to be cleared from the park in keeping with the citywide curfew. According to CNN, Marco Rubio says that the protesters deliberately disobeyed police in order to provoke a response because they wanted to create the narrative of "Police use force to remove 'peaceful' protestors".
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I did see a YouTube video of metro police using tear gas to move protesters back. They didn't completely clear them out but moved them and then set up a police line. Still not able to confirm that this was from the same event.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                No. The protesters were cleared out 45 minutes beflre the curfew.
                Like I tell my kids, "A 7PM curfew means you arrive home at 7PM, not you leave your friend's house at 7PM."

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Like I tell my kids, "A 7PM curfew means you arrive home at 7PM, not you leave your friend's house at 7PM."
                  The GOP is acknowledging they are linked MM. That excuse is done and doesn't fly. I'm sure you'll find others.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

PS, I don't agree with the whole move by Trump to go over to the church for a photo op. I think that was incredibly self-centered and narcissistic and is not the act of a Christian. Posing with a bible as if to say "Look how holy I am!" is just wrong.
                    That, as I said, was horrible optics.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The GOP is acknowledging they are linked MM. That excuse is done and doesn't fly. I'm sure you'll find others.
                      "Linked" in what way? Where is it confirmed that this was ordered by the White House? Your CNN story doesn't support that assertion. Look at the first paragraph again:

Top Republican senators are defending the use of police force to clear out peaceful protesters near the White House that allowed President Donald Trump to pose with a Bible in front of a church amid the continued unrest in the United States.

Two unrelated events are being made to appear related: The people were cleared out, and Trump visited the church. Nowhere in the story does it say that the people were cleared out because Trump wanted to visit the church. The rest of the article uses sliced-and-diced quotes with the reporter's own words filling in the gaps, so it's impossible to know what they really said.

Don't be so eager to denounce the President that you're so easily taken in by this kind of yellow journalism.

Comment

"Linked" in what way? Where is it confirmed that this was ordered by the White House? Your CNN story doesn't support that assertion. Look at the first paragraph again:

Top Republican senators are defending the use of police force to clear out peaceful protesters near the White House that allowed President Donald Trump to pose with a Bible in front of a church amid the continued unrest in the United States.

Two unrelated events are being made to appear related: The people were cleared out, and Trump visited the church. Nowhere in the story does it say that the people were cleared out because Trump wanted to visit the church. The rest of the article uses sliced-and-diced quotes with the reporter's own words filling in the gaps, so it's impossible to know what they really said.

Don't be so eager to denounce the President that you're so easily taken in by this kind of yellow journalism.
                        Here's a quote from Susan Collins.

“ It was painful to watch peaceful protestors be subjected to tear gas in order for the President to go across the street to a church I believe he’s attended only once.”

Comment

The GOP is saying they are related in their defense:

"that allowed"

The are directly related. The equivalent statement is: They were cleared "so that" the president could walk across and do his photo op.
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Here's a quote from Susan Collins.

“ It was painful to watch peaceful protestors be subjected to tear gas in order for the President to go across the street to a church I believe he’s attended only once.”
                            Does she even know? I mean, does she know anything other than what she has read in the media? It's not like Obama told Schumer or Pelosi every time he took a walk and what he ordered the SS to do.

I think Trump is ultimately going to have to clear this up himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              Does she even know? I mean, does she know anything other than what she has read in the media? It's not like Obama told Schumer or Pelosi every time he took a walk and what he ordered the SS to do.

I think Trump is ultimately going to have to clear this up himself.
                              Susan Collins is less than worthless but she's in the fight of her political life and isn't going to throw something like that out there without knowing all the facts.

Correlated, here is chilling video captured live on air of police assaulting Australian Press yesterday.

Comment

Susan Collins is less than worthless but she's in the fight of her political life and isn't going to throw something like that out there without knowing all the facts.
                                That's presumptive.

Correlated, here is chilling video captured live on air of police assaulting Australian Press yesterday.
                                Yes, that shows how aggressive and reckless the police can be. Still not a correlation.

Comment