Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Police Systematically Racist?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanD View Post
    It's not so much racism, it's the aggression and brutality against citizens in general. I don't know if they're being trained that way or what. They're like militarized bots now, incapable of using any basic logic or reasoning, tactically trained and equipped like they're facing an enemy in Fallujah or some third world country. I witnessed like 6 cops in the building I live taser some drunk old guy who wasn't cooperating. I mean 6 freaking cops couldn't subdue an old drunk guy? They had to taze him? That's just one example.
    Wow, I didn't know brushes came THAT BIG.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I don't know enough about to this to make any judgment.
    It's worse in urban areas. If you don't live in an urban area, chances are you haven't been exposed to it much.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Wow, I didn't know brushes came THAT BIG.
    It is what it is. I've seen it with my own eyes. The problem is that this issue keeps being clouded as a racial issue when that's not the main problem. But as long as the left keeps making it a racial issue, the real problem is just going to be obfuscated and never solved.
    "I was the CIA director. We lied, we cheated, we stole, it was like... we had entire training courses. It reminds you of the glory of the American experiment." - Mike Pompeo, Secretary of State (source).

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It's worse in urban areas. If you don't live in an urban area, chances are you haven't been exposed to it much.
    Well I lived in a high crime urban area in the 80s, look up Father Panik Village sometime. And yes the cops were more aggressive there - but they kind of had to be.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Well I lived in a high crime urban area in the 80s, look up Father Panik Village sometime. And yes the cops were more aggressive there - but they kind of had to be.
    That too would have to figure into my consideration. Overall it's a deep and complex topic, and I don't think I'd get to the bottom of it tonight, I've got other stuff to do. Thank you for the links seer.

6. Amen seer amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
    Yeah ... but ... these stats are about use of force or deadly use of force.

It is a subject with a lot of nuance and profiling isn't covered here. And the link to the "report" in the article is broken, as I would like to examine other figures in the source, if possible.
    Thanks, I was going to mention this as well.

Traffic stops can also be an indicator of systemic racism (which I guess is covered by your use of the term "profiling").

---

Speaking of my own uninformed opinion (I haven't fully-read the article in the OP, and I've done no real research prior to writing this post), I'm pretty sure racism IS a factor in how some members of the black community get treated. I'm also sure that the fundamental distrust that community has for law enforcement can exacerbate that same treatment. It's a subject with a lot of nuance, and the relationship between the two groups can't be pigeonholed by terms like "systemic racism" OR "lack of respect for authority", etc.

PLUS - "the police" includes black officers which aren't being racist in their treatment of their own community.

I know the problem exists; the black community can justifiably point to a history of systemic mistreatment by law enforcement. The deaths of unarmed black men at the hands of police officers is outrageous. I also know that there are good cops who are doing their jobs justly and effectively. I don't believe systemic racism exists in the police force like it once did, but I'm almost positive that the culture of that force protects the minority of officers who make the entire force look racist.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is what it is. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    That's what we call anecdotal.

The problem is that this issue keeps being clouded as a racial issue when that's not the main problem. But as long as the left keeps making it a racial issue, the real problem is just going to be obfuscated and never solved.
    The whole "militarization" thing started with the police being horribly outgunned in the North Hollywood Shootout. No doubt, there are abuses of this power, but it was in response to a legitimate need. Every time my son-in-law does a raid on a crackhouse, they (the bad guys) have considerably more firepower than the average citizen would ever guess.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That doesn't keep a lot of people from spewing forth ignorance anyway! Good on you, Leon!
    When it comes to these things, I know the issues are deep and complex. And since I don't have a bone in the fight, I'd rather just stay out on it and focus on the issues I do feel I understand at least a tiny bit, such as police brutality.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    The problem is that the increased aggressiveness of police forces does not correlate with the data. Data suggests that crime has been declining in the US, so there really is no explanation why police forces have been militarized this way.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    ... I don't believe systemic racism exists in the police force like it once did....
    And, here, I think, is a major point --- it's wrong just to say "the police force" as if all police departments were the same. In some departments, there most certainly IS systemic racism. In others, there have been major overhauls, and while you may have individual officers with a racist bent, others will clearly do their best to offset even the appearance of racism.