Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Are Police Systematically Racist?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Another reason was the military offering to give (or sell dirt cheap) local police departments armored vehicles. You had cases of police departments in small towns suddenly equipped with what are effectively small tanks and when you have something like that there is a strong urge to find a "need" to use it.
    Yeah, our guys got all excited when they were 'granted' an MRAP, but it didn't take long for them to ask -- OK, when can we actually USE this? They actually found a good use for it a couple years ago in our "Memorial Day Flood", going down roads in high water, pulling vehicles out of the floods.

Another change has been in the officers themselves. Back in the 80s and 90s you would be hard pressed to spot a police officer when they were out of uniform. They pretty much looked like everyone else. Now, all you have to do is look for the guys (and this is about male police officers) that look like they're a linebacker for an NFL team.
    And, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that, when we were young, we were taught to respect the badge. There is NOT that respect in a lot of cases, and officers are often targeted without even having said or done anything.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No, I don't think for the most part there is systemic racism in police depts. I think it was much more prevalent 40 - 50 years ago, esp in the South. Now days with body cams, dash cams and a phone everywhere, the few bad examples are on prominent display making it appear much worse than it actually is. Sadly, because of all the negativity surrounding this whole subject, it's going to be harder and harder recruiting officers...esp good ones. Most major cities have huge deficits already and it's getting worse by the day. Hopefully when the whole thing collapses, our right to bear arms isn't also taken away.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

3. Amen Cow Poke, DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    43rd Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's what we call anecdotal.

The whole "militarization" thing started with the police being horribly outgunned in the North Hollywood Shootout. No doubt, there are abuses of this power, but it was in response to a legitimate need. Every time my son-in-law does a raid on a crackhouse, they (the bad guys) have considerably more firepower than the average citizen would ever guess.
    I remember that shootout. Live on TV. *shudder*

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertBerean View Post
    I remember that shootout. Live on TV. *shudder*
    How near to you was that? Cause, yeh, it just seemed to go on and on.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

6. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    How near to you was that? Cause, yeh, it just seemed to go on and on.
    ARRGGHH I had a big post and it didn't get submitted...

I was home from a business training that I believe was pretty close to that area. Creeped me out a bit because I also had just left training in San Diego when they had that tank rampage live on TV.

It DID go on and on. And for once the media did the cops a favor by exposing how grossly outgunned the cops were...even had to get ammo from a nearby gun shop.

8. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I was home from a business training that I believe was pretty close to that area. Creeped me out a bit because I also had just left training in San Diego when they had that tank rampage live on TV.

It DID go on and on. And for once the media did the cops a favor by exposing how grossly outgunned the cops were...even had to get ammo from a nearby gun shop.
    Yup - back then the standard firepower for a police officer was a six round revolver, a couple speedloaders, and a shotgun locked in the trunk, or in a vertical dashboard mount.

10. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Not just ammo but high-powered semi-automatic rifles as well.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Not just ammo but high-powered semi-automatic rifles as well.
    Absolutely, because their standard weaponry at the time was....

And body armor was not yet standard equipment.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yup - back then the standard firepower for a police officer was a six round revolver, a couple speedloaders, and a shotgun locked in the trunk, or in a vertical dashboard mount.
    OK, after I said revolvers, I was wondering, because that's about the time some departments were switching to semi-auto handguns.

Apparently, the officers in LA had both - perhaps this was the beginning of the transition. I KNOW it was the beginning of a WHOLE BUNCH of other changes.

la-north-hollywood-shooting-20170228.jpg

They are, of course, attempting to stop the two heavily armed and heavily body-armored bank robbers.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Here's an item when they had an anniversary: https://www.dailynews.com/general-ne...ywood-shootout

I remember a LOT of people were arguing about how badly armed the police was back then. Lots of debate. But afer this shootout, the LA City Council couldn't stop falling all over themselves finding the money to arm their PDs.