Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't police issue triage after shooting someone?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I think you're probably more likely to see videos where the officer doesn't help the person than videos where he does since the former is more provocative. Also, videos don't always tell the whole story.
    An episode of Blue Bloods (taken from real life incident) shows exactly that. A video went viral, showing police abuse of a person, and riots broke out as a result.
    After quite a struggle, the Department finally got the folks who leaked the video to show the ENTIRE video, and it became evident the officer was actually quite restrained, given the circumstances.

This is not all that unusual.

And this is EXACTLY why I had been trying my darndest to imagine ANY context that might IN ANY WAY justify the Minneapolis incident. Not in my WILDEST imagination.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

2. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Unfortunately I don't believe the police have any legal obligation to aid someone they've wounded.
    This is actually a hotly debated issue within police circles, Jim.
    Here's an interesting article on it -- POLICE SUED FOR FAILING TO AID GUNSHOT VICTIM

I was just going to say that I think most cops are good people and so would help, but then I realized, i'm not really so sure about that.
    It's more complicated than that. In this day and age, imagine an officer-involved shooting where the officer shot the victim, and he's laying bleeding. A crowd forms, cameras come out, and the officer kneels next to the body to attempt to provide aid. Is the crowd's perception that he's HELPING -- or is he trying to make sure the victim doesn't live through the ordeal.
    OR, as the crowed becomes hostile, particularly in a white cop on black subject shooting, can the officer AFFORD to turn his back on the crowd to aid the victim?
    It's WAY more complicated than most people would think.

It certainly seems as though there a lot of bad apples on the force out there.
    Note Leon's "selection bias" comment.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    An episode of Blue Bloods (taken from real life incident) shows exactly that. A video went viral, showing police abuse of a person, and riots broke out as a result.
    After quite a struggle, the Department finally got the folks who leaked the video to show the ENTIRE video, and it became evident the officer was actually quite restrained, given the circumstances.

And this is EXACTLY why I had been trying my darndest to imagine ANY context that might IN ANY WAY justify the Minneapolis incident. Not in my WILDEST imagination.
    media-manipulation.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

This kind of "rhetorical caution" (for lack of a better term) is similar to the way I govern myself in hot topics about current events. It's VERY easy (and apparently a little too-tempting) to focus too closely on details, to the exclusion of context which puts those details in a completely different light.

When I first saw the video of George Floyd, I wanted to know what had happened prior to the encounter. Even now that some earlier footage has appeared, it feels to me like I don't have the whole story; I don't know why the "supporting" officers behaved the way they did. Of course, I have to be careful in how I express these things, because skepticism can be ideologically-based, and I'm not interested in sheltering police who (I've concluded after a week's worth of information gathering) commit murder.

The same things apply to nearly every activist video on Youtube. Unless you know what happened before/after the event being displayed, you're missing information which could completely change your conclusions about what the video shows.

So yeah, I'm instantly suspicious of hyperbolic videos/news. Anything geared towards evoking emotion from the viewer is a potential tool for manipulation.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    This kind of "rhetorical caution" (for lack of a better term) is similar to the way I govern myself in hot topics about current events. It's VERY easy (and apparently a little too-tempting) to focus too closely on details, to the exclusion of context which puts those details in a completely different light.

When I first saw the video of George Floyd, I wanted to know what had happened prior to the encounter. Even now that some earlier footage has appeared, it feels to me like I don't have the whole story; I don't know why the "supporting" officers behaved the way they did. Of course, I have to be careful in how I express these things, because skepticism can be ideologically-based, and I'm not interested in sheltering police who (I've concluded after a week's worth of information gathering) commit murder.

The same things apply to nearly every activist video on Youtube. Unless you know what happened before/after the event being displayed, you're missing information which could completely change your conclusions about what the video shows.

So yeah, I'm instantly suspicious of hyperbolic videos/news. Anything geared towards evoking emotion from the viewer is a potential tool for manipulation.
    That's it --- and you have to be very careful expressing desire to know ALL THE FACTS in the case, because the left fringe nutters here will jump all over you, accusing you of DEFENDING the killing, or TRYING TO BLAME the victim.
    You can only seek out ALL FACTS if they support the liberal narrative - GOD FORBID you should find something that doesn't fit the narrative, and post it, EVEN WITH disclaimers.

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's it --- and you have to be very careful expressing desire to know ALL THE FACTS in the case, because the left fringe nutters here will jump all over you, accusing you of DEFENDING the killing, or TRYING TO BLAME the victim.
    You can only seek out ALL FACTS if they support the liberal narrative - GOD FORBID you should find something that doesn't fit the narrative, and post it, EVEN WITH disclaimers.
    Is it really that bad to agree with us about it?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Is it really that bad to agree with us about it?
    What, specifically, is "it"?

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What, specifically, is "it"?
    The thing you were seemingly outraged about.

Pray tell, what is different about the "conservative" narrative vs the "liberal" narrative. Is the thing that happened wronger in one or the other?

"That's it --- and you have to be very careful expressing desire to know ALL THE FACTS in the case, because the left fringe nutters here will jump all over you, accusing you of DEFENDING the killing, or TRYING TO BLAME the victim.
    You can only seek out ALL FACTS if they support the liberal narrative - GOD FORBID you should find something that doesn't fit the narrative, and post it, EVEN WITH disclaimers. "

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    The thing you were seemingly outraged about.
    I never get outraged.

Pray tell, what is different about the "conservative" narrative vs the "liberal" narrative. Is the thing that happened wronger in one or the other?
    "Tell the truth" would be my narrative -- gather all the facts and let's see where they lead us.

(I think the rest of your post was my words, without the quote function )

Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I never get outraged.
    What do you call the use of ALL CAPS then?

"Tell the truth" would be my narrative -- gather all the facts and let's see where they lead us.

(I think the rest of your post was my words, without the quote function )
    Then why do you hesitate to do that. I'm sorry Cow Poke, I know you're a cop, and what's happening involves your profession. But nothing here has anything to do with you. I'm sorry you're getting tired of calling it out. I'm glad you're one of the few conservatives who will loudly decry it and keep doing it. Because honestly? I don't see much of anyone else doing it. And that freaks me out.