Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Reply notifications (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reply notifications (?)

I hope this is the best place to ask a question about this forum software.

What's the best way to find out of someone has replied to one of my posts, or has otherwise quoted something I've said?

I've been debating online for several decades, and understand how web-forum software generally works (for the end-user). There's usually either a setting that turns on notifications when someone quotes you, or some list of replies you've received somewhere in your profile. I've looked, and haven't been able to find anything like this.

There's an email for posts to threads I've subscribed to, but this isn't the same thing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance...

Hmmmmm
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      I hope this is the best place to ask a question about this forum software.

What's the best way to find out of someone has replied to one of my posts, or has otherwise quoted something I've said?

I've been debating online for several decades, and understand how web-forum software generally works (for the end-user). There's usually either a setting that turns on notifications when someone quotes you, or some list of replies you've received somewhere in your profile. I've looked, and haven't been able to find anything like this.

There's an email for posts to threads I've subscribed to, but this isn't the same thing.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance...
      I have had email set to notify of new posts in threads I subscribe to since the site came back up in 2014, and it's never worked, although it worked before the Big Crash of 2013.

The best I can recommend is to just keep checking the threads you are subscribed to for new replies.

We so badly need to get the new site up and running, but it's taking a very long time. Leonhard has graciously volunteered to help us with that, but like all of us, he is busy in real life, too.

Hopefully Sparky or one of the others who is more technically savvy than I can give you more help.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Do you have the list of subscribed threads that you can check on your settings page? That's usually where I go to check what's new.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Do you have the list of subscribed threads that you can check on your settings page? That's usually where I go to check what's new.
          Ug. Yes, I have that, but I dislike it for several reasons.

Oh well, at least I know now that you folks have simply learned to live with it. Thanks for the feedback...

ps. I'd offer to help with the web dev, but I've never actually worked in PHP. I'm more of an ASP guy...

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
            Ug. Yes, I have that, but I dislike it for several reasons.

Oh well, at least I know now that you folks have simply learned to live with it. Thanks for the feedback...

ps. I'd offer to help with the web dev, but I've never actually worked in PHP. I'm more of an ASP guy...
            I'm sorry we aren't able to help you with this. We have so many issues with this software, it's really frustrating for us all.

Thanks for the offer of help if you had been able. It's been hard to find people who are able to deal with the software.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Thanks for the offer of help if you had been able. It's been hard to find people who are able to deal with the software.
              If I worked for a company who wanted me to get into PHP, I'd do it without hesitation; I could probably debug problems as soon as my feet hit the ground.

This forum's been around for a long time, though, and you folks don't know me at all. Contact me only if you really need the help :)

Comment