Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Is America Great Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    It would be if it weren't for the liberals constantly dragging it back into the swamp.
    You have a us president who wants to deploy the us military in us cities against us citizens.

When are you people going to wake up to where this is headed?

No America is not great again. It is grossly divided and has a narcissistic psychopath at its helm that revels in that division and stokes it every chance he gets. And it is headed in a direction that will destroy it if it continues
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-05-2020, 06:58 AM.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      You have a us president who wants to deploy the us military in us cities against us citizens.

No America is not great again. It is grossly divided and has a narcissistic psychopath at its helm that revels in that division and stokes it every chance he gets. And it is headed in a direction that will destroy it if it continues

You're really watching a different movie than other people.
      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
        You're really watching a different movie than other people.
        https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...207_story.html

It's called "the news"
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

In the words of James Mattis:
          https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/03/p...ump/index.html

Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us
          We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.
          Trump supporters, many evangelicals among them, have either enjoyed it or remained silent when Trump spread his dehumanizing messages. The fear and divide it has sown is what is now seemingly getting the nation rather close to the breaking point. It is no suprise at all to me that it has come to this. I will not be surprised when it most likely gets a lot worse. Hate, fear and lies (sometimes sugar coated by "Christians") have brought the nation to this point.

Repent!
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post

Trump supporters, many evangelicals among them, have either enjoyed it or remained silent when Trump spread his dehumanizing messages. The fear and divide it has sown is what is now seemingly getting the nation rather close to the breaking point. It is no suprise at all to me that it has come to this. I will not be surprised when it most likely gets a lot worse. Hate, fear and lies (sometimes sugar coated by "Christians") have brought the nation to this point.

Repent!
            Some of us actually spend our time where it makes a difference, instead of just endlessly griping, spreading doom and gloom, and fearmongering.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              The problem with the slogan is that it implies that America isn't currently great.
              As an American, I think the implication is accurate.

There are still things in which this country excels, but its ideals are dead, and it's no longer a reliable international partner. Ironically, the slogan is now more apropos than it was when Trump first started using it.

Comment

Just to support the national guard to protect property and stop looting. Do you like looting Jim? Do you like watching our cities burn? I don't.

Other presidents have used the military to help in civil unrest in the past. It is not unusual or some sign that Trump is becoming a dictator.

Comment

Just to support the national guard to protect property and stop looting. Do you like looting Jim? Do you like watching our cities burn? I don't.

Other presidents have used the military to help in civil unrest in the past. It is not unusual or some sign that Trump is becoming a dictator.
                  Other presidents would not have brought the country to the this point by sowing fear and devide. And they would not be incapable of at least trying to unite the country. He is reapeing the fruit of what he has sown. So are all of his supporters. You were warned - this is no surprise at all.
                  "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                    Republicans have been in charge for over three years, though. If there's any swampiness left, why isn't that an indictment of our conservative Republican administration?
                    The Democrats are in Control of the House of Representatives and the there are not enough Republicans to stop a fillibuster in the Senate.

Comment

Other presidents would not have brought the country to the this point by sowing fear and devide. And they would not be incapable of at least trying to unite the country. He is reapeing the fruit of what he has sown. So are all of his supporters. You were warned - this is no surprise at all.
                      We are still growing what Obama sowed, give it time.

Comment

Really - you are trying to play it as "the only way to stop looting" or 'the ox likes looting"? That is absurd.

The last four times this was used it was to quell far worse (%) in far more limited geographical areas. These protests are nationwide. Nationwide - worldwide in fact. And they involve people from all walks of life and all races. I am proud to say my (adult) son and some of his friends attended a local one. No violence or looting involved. The majority are peaceful. Trump is way over eager to flex his muscles and act like a dictator. Not the mention that the military itself believes it is a very bad idea. Not to mention that the Disturber in Chief - the UNmencsh of the hour - has not lifted one finger to do anything but make matters worse.

Comment

Repent!
                          No, closing the economy was the "breaking point." The country was already tittering on the edge prior due the socioeconomic imbalances created by the federal reserve, which is why we saw pockets of social unrest during Obama's admin, but these were just microcosms. It's been building since 2008 (though I'm not necessarily blaming Obama either). The surface issue is racism, but the real underlying cause is economic, which is why this was so rapid and nationwide. I tried to tell you and carp this was coming and why, but you both insisted that "'this all would pass" because everyone would hold hands and sing kumbaya.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                            The Democrats are in Control of the House of Representatives and the there are not enough Republicans to stop a fillibuster in the Senate.
                            Well, I was referring to the Republicans holding both the senate and white house as being "in control".

You're correct in that they only held a super-majority for 2 years.

Both things aside, Republicans are in a better position to enact (legislative) change than Democrats are, so whatever else the Dems can be charged with, the general state of the nation's swampiness can't be laid at their feet. Especially because Trump can hire / fire almost whomever he wants.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                              No, closing the economy was the "breaking point." The country was already tittering on the edge prior due the socioeconomic imbalances created by the federal reserve, which is why we saw pockets of social unrest during Obama's admin, but these were just microcosms. It's been building since 2008 (though I'm not necessarily blaming Obama either). The surface issue is racism, but the real underlying cause is economic, which is why this was so rapid and nationwide. I tried to tell you and carp this was coming and why, but you both insisted that "'this all would pass" because everyone would hold hands and sing kumbaya.
                              False. I never said it would all pass. Here is what I said: "With regard to economy I simply note that you still cannot support your claim but insist history will prove you right." That is something quite different.

And aint it strange that this very tense period comes right after a person was killed by police when it is all about the closedown? Perhaps the biggest frustration with regard to the closedown is that the consequences are so huge and still a very huge amount of human beings still die because it happened to late and thus the effect is not as good as it could have been. It happened to late due to the lie that it was under control. And, one of the things I refered to was the lies (sometimes sugar coated by "Christians").

Comment

Really - you are trying to play it as "the only way to stop looting" or 'the ox likes looting"? That is absurd.

The last four times this was used it was to quell far worse (%) in far more limited geographical areas. These protests are nationwide. Nationwide - worldwide in fact. And they involve people from all walks of life and all races. I am proud to say my (adult) son and some of his friends attended a local one. No violence or looting involved. The majority are peaceful. Trump is way over eager to flex his muscles and act like a dictator. Not the mention that the military itself believes it is a very bad idea. Not to mention that the Disturber in Chief - the UNmencsh of the hour - has not lifted one finger to do anything but make matters worse.
                                So it was way worse before, but only in a small area? How does that make sense? If the riots and looting are nationwide, worldwide even, then that is a FAR worse problem than some limited location.

Nobody has problems with the peaceful protests, just the violent ones. Which usually occur in major urban centers and at night. Past the curfew. Anyone wanting to peacefully protest can do it in the day time, and take care of any looters among them themselves. Make sure that rioting and looting will not be tolerated. Then we won't need the army to help out. But as long as crowds all over the nation are looting and burning and destroying, then yes, we need all the help we can get.

Comment