Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    And that's good. Keep that up. It's a beginning. It's probably a decade too late to stop the anger from people, but it's better than "let's wait until all the facts are in" nonsense. We don't have to wait in this case.
    What's really missing is a charismatic black leader who cares more about his people than his own pocketbook.

That's a beginning, but I believe we ought to leave no stone unturned. The guys involved, in jail for second-degree murder. That's immediate triage. But people want reform. They don't want another name who gets fired to live a life on a fat pension check. They want reform.
    There needs to be a truly great leader rise up from the ranks of the African-Americans who is bold enough to speak truth to power, like MLK did.

And if you ask me I believe that reform should never end, but be a permanent ongoing process.
    Until we get to Heaven, then it won't be needed anymore.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is a systematic problem. Some police departments have a lot more trouble with it than others. Why is that? How did some police force allow such vile incompetent men and women to serve with them? The murderer of Floyd was a police officer with a long rap sheet, but had never been thrown out. Why is that? And why are no police officers talking about *that*.
      And, once again, it's terribly inaccurate to imply that NO police officers are talking about *that*.

It's fine that some of them make statements condemning what happened, but I think there ought to be reasonable explanations why it came to be.
      I don't know how the Yankees do it, but when there's a corrupt PD in Texas, the Texas Rangers are called in to clean it up.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        What's really missing is a charismatic black leader who cares more about his people than his own pocketbook.
        Maybe that is what is needed true.

Until we get to Heaven, then it won't be needed anymore.
        May Christ come soon. Though I plan as if He won't return for the next ten thousand years, and I try to live as if he will return tonight.

Comment

Maybe that is what is needed true.

May Christ come soon. Though I plan as if He won't return for the next ten thousand years, and I try to live as if he will return tonight.
          Occupy til He comes!

Comment

It looks like they are going through with this, though no one knows exactly what will replace it. I'm willing to take bets that violent and property crime will spike. Any takers.

Minneapolis City Council members consider disbanding the police

http://www.citypages.com/news/minnea...lice/570993291
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
              It looks like they are going through with this, though no one knows exactly what will replace it. I'm willing to take bets that violent and property crime will spike. Any takers.

Minneapolis City Council members consider disbanding the police

http://www.citypages.com/news/minnea...lice/570993291
              I'm not going to take it. It sure looks like a knee-jerk reaction to a perceived problem without thinking through the consequences.

I wish I was hearing how they were going to replace the policing function.

No police at all: we had that in the Wild West which means an explosion in guns and gangs
              Community Activities patrolling: great replacing people who trained to police with untrained volunteers. That will be a disaster.

I agree with one commentator I heard this morning who said the police need to keep their policies updated and then train their officers to reflect changes in police methods. I wonder how old the Minneapolis policies are.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I decided to take a look at the source while waiting for a meeting that starts in a little bit.

I find some real nutty quotes, like...

Calls about mental health crises could be answered by mental health professionals. Calls about opioid abuse could be answered by addiction experts. Instead, both get cops, usually armed.

USUALLY armed?

another line...

On Tuesday, Fletcher published a lengthy Twitter thread saying the police department was “irredeemably beyond reform,” and a “protection racket” that slows down responses as political payback.

“irredeemably beyond reform"??? They don't have the power to fire the Chief and demand action?

I think a HUGE part of the problem is the MOE-RONS (thanks, Reba) in City Council.

Comment

It is a systematic problem. Some police departments have a lot more trouble with it than others. Why is that? How did some police force allow such vile incompetent men and women to serve with them? The murderer of Floyd was a police officer with a long rap sheet, but had never been thrown out. Why is that? And why are no police officers talking about *that*.

It's fine that some of them make statements condemning what happened, but I think there ought to be reasonable explanations why it came to be.
                  Incidents such as the Floyd murder are rare, not common. The reason they seem common is that you have the media focusing on them when they happen. You have literally thousands of police departments across the USA, and odds are you will have a few of these incidents per year from such a large pool. So when the media focuses on them, they seem like they are happening all the time. Yet when you look at the statistics, the incidents are rare. You don't hear of all of the incidents where the arrests were normal and inconsequential.

In any organization, police, government, military, etc, you are going to have a certain small percentage of bad actors. People who want to use their position to lord it over others, hurt others, and be complete asshats. That doesn't mean the entire system is bad, or racist. It means there are racists in every organization. We need to weed them out, but there will always be more. It is just a fact of human society. This stuff even happens in minority run cities and minority run police departments. In fact, the police chief of Minneapolis, where Floyd was murdered was black, and two of the officers involved in the Floyd murder were minorities.
                  Last edited by Sparko; 06-05-2020, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I honestly think this talk about defunding is more of an attempt to light a fire under cops' butts than anything else. The Saskatchewan Party, whenever they're in charge, does something similar and talks about privatizing Sasktel (our local Telecommunications Crown Corp) every now and again just to make sure they're playing nice... Especially given their prior history of Colon Cancer levels of Customer Service while they had a monopoly decades ago
                    Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

Insanity ensues...

Minneapolis City Council members intend to defund and dismantle the city's police department
                      Minneapolis (CNN)Nine members of the Minneapolis City Council on Sunday announced they intend to defund and dismantle the city's police department following the police killing of George Floyd.

"We committed to dismantling policing as we know it in the city of Minneapolis and to rebuild with our community a new model of public safety that actually keeps our community safe," Council President Lisa Bender told CNN.
                      With nine votes the city council would have a veto-proof supermajority of the council's 13 members, Bender said.
                      https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/07/us/ge...day/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Insanity ensues...

Minneapolis City Council members intend to defund and dismantle the city's police department
                        Minneapolis (CNN)Nine members of the Minneapolis City Council on Sunday announced they intend to defund and dismantle the city's police department following the police killing of George Floyd.

"We committed to dismantling policing as we know it in the city of Minneapolis and to rebuild with our community a new model of public safety that actually keeps our community safe," Council President Lisa Bender told CNN.
                        With nine votes the city council would have a veto-proof supermajority of the council's 13 members, Bender said.
                        I hope they are ready for more murder and chaos.
                        Last edited by seer; 06-08-2020, 09:43 AM.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          I hope they ready for more murder and chaos.
                          Well the Sheriff says he isn't going to send his deputies in to bail them out if they defund the police. I guess their only other option would be to cal in the state police. I think they will avoid the city too.

But the council members will probably be OK, since they can afford private security while their city burns.

With threat of Minneapolis police being disbanded, Anoka County sheriff says 'many agencies' don't want to go back to the city and restore order

The idea of the Minneapolis Police Department being disbanded by the city council is not sitting well with Anoka County Sheriff James Stuart, who on Sunday said his agency has "no appetite" for working in the city if the police department is abolished.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...-restore-order

Comment

Insanity ensues...

They will reap what they sow.

Comment

Well the Sheriff says he isn't going to send his deputies in to bail them out if they defund the police. I guess their only other option would be to cal in the state police. I think they will avoid the city too.

But the council members will probably be OK, since they can afford private security while their city burns.

With threat of Minneapolis police being disbanded, Anoka County sheriff says 'many agencies' don't want to go back to the city and restore order

The idea of the Minneapolis Police Department being disbanded by the city council is not sitting well with Anoka County Sheriff James Stuart, who on Sunday said his agency has "no appetite" for working in the city if the police department is abolished.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...-restore-order

This is going to horrible for the law abiding residents...

Comment

Well the Sheriff says he isn't going to send his deputies in to bail them out if they defund the police....]
                                We have had situations in Texas where a corrupt or dysfunctional police department was shut down, and an agreement was arranged with the Sheriff's department of that county for protection, but only temporarily until a new Police Department could be organized. This is not that.

And, isn't their police department UNION? I wonder how that's gonna fly.

Comment