Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The job of a representative politician

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The job of a representative politician

I'm referring to Congressmen and women, Senators, governors, mayors, etc: people who were elected by a majority vote to represent that majority.

There are other kinds of politicians (re. bureaucrats, etc), but I'm not referring to them here.

The job of such a politician entails many things, but generally speaking, one of that person's functions is to represent the people who elected him/her. However, many people see politicians as leaders: symbols of something larger than themselves - whether we're talking about ethics or morals or some political ideology, etc.

My question is about the juxtaposition of these things, as well as the politician's need to stay employed. When faced with the choice of whether to do the right thing, or to do the thing the majority wants - how should the politician decide?

In a representative democracy, I'd argue that representing the politician's constituents is slightly more important than representing all voters, or than holding up that politician's personal values.

I know this position is "controversial", in that many people want politicians who are principled, and who live according to those principles. But - shouldn't a representative be a megaphone for his constituents, instead of trying to make other people live by his own personal standards?

We no longer have a functioning Constitutional Republic. We no longer have even a Representative form of government. We don't even have a Democracy.

We saw the Senate vote in multi-trillion dollar bills to fund the Pharmaceuticals and Big Business. We see Pelosi making bills and making the Representatives approve it.

So, I don't see how your question is relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      We no longer have a functioning Constitutional Republic. We no longer have even a Representative form of government. We don't even have a Democracy.

We saw the Senate vote in multi-trillion dollar bills to fund the Pharmaceuticals and Big Business. We see Pelosi making bills and making the Representatives approve it.

So, I don't see how your question is relevant.
      Then you're not interested in the question. Why bother replying?

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
        Then you're not interested in the question. Why bother replying?
        I'm clarifying the problem at hand. Plus, it looked like you needed help keeping this thread alive. I've often been an advocate for the underdog. You can thank me later.

People voted for Trump in hopes of having a politician respond to their voices. The political powers in DC have done everything to suppress this choice -- and to promote revolution against the revolution for freedom.
        Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-04-2020, 03:36 PM.

Comment