Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Public Health Experts Have Lost All Credibility...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Public Health Experts Have Lost All Credibility...

And that we need not listen to them...

More than a thousand public health experts signed an open letter specifically stating that "we do not condemn these gatherings as risky for COVID-19 transmission. We support them as vital to the national public health and to the threatened health specifically of Black people in the United States."

The letter conceded that mass protests carried the risk of spreading coronavirus, and offered some good—if naive—advice for people who are going out anyway: wear masks, stay home if sick, attempt to maintain six feet of distance from other protesters. Many protesters are wearing masks, but others are not. And while we can blame the police for forcefully corralling people into close quarters, it's a bit rich for public health experts to endorse protesting under conditions that they know are impossible for protesters to meet.

https://reason.com/2020/06/04/george...cials-disease/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

That should have happened when we got the propaganda to stay 6 feet apart, wash your hands, wear a face mask at all times (even when swimming).

People treat propaganda as truth after it has been repeated so many times. I am irritated when I hear this on broadcasts.

The other thing we could add to this loss of credibility is that the public health experts (if they believe the propaganda) are promoting racism when promoting "safe" infection of great numbers of protestors. If the coronavirus is so widespread and deadly, the experts are endorsing the deaths of these protestors.

Comment

Responses to this letter are the reason I don't believe that the typical American is able to walk and chew gum at the same time in their exploration of complex social / political issues. Do I agree with the letter? More 'no' than 'yes.' Does this letter mean "we need not listen to [Public Health Experts]"? Come on...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        It definitively makes you realize how politically driven they are in their expert assessments. Which makes you wonder how valid man-made climate change is now and how politically partisan driven that issue is as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
          That should have happened when we got the propaganda to stay 6 feet apart, wash your hands, wear a face mask at all times (even when swimming).

People treat propaganda as truth after it has been repeated so many times. I am irritated when I hear this on broadcasts.

The other thing we could add to this loss of credibility is that the public health experts (if they believe the propaganda) are promoting racism when promoting "safe" infection of great numbers of protestors. If the coronavirus is so widespread and deadly, the experts are endorsing the deaths of these protestors.
          It is amazing, the hypocrisy and even getting involved in a political issue.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            Which makes you wonder how valid man-made climate change is now and how politically partisan driven that issue is as well.
            No kidding...

Comment

The stated reason I've read elsewhere was that racism is a public health epidemic in the US so it justifies action here. Granting that for the sake of argument, it's even less controversial that unemployment and poverty are also public health concerns that shorten one's life.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                wow
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  It definitively makes you realize how politically driven they are in their expert assessments. Which makes you wonder how valid man-made climate change is now and how politically partisan driven that issue is as well.
                  Oh, this article below made me rabid. It was originally published in the Los Angeles Times (they've conveniently deleted it now) and was used in part as an excuse to close California beaches. Kim Prather, some idiot "atmospheric chemist", was declaring beaches dangerous, because surf spray contained sewage, and sewage might contain covid. I nearly fell out of my chair with disbelief. "This woman is a scientist?"

https://www.northcoastjournal.com/Ne...s-and-swimming

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

That part really seemed twisted.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                      Oh, this article below made me rabid. It was originally published in the Los Angeles Times (they've conveniently deleted it now) and was used in part as an excuse to close California beaches. Kim Prather, some idiot "atmospheric chemist", was declaring beaches dangerous, because surf spray contained sewage, and sewage might contain covid. I nearly fell out of my chair with disbelief. "This woman is a scientist?"

https://www.northcoastjournal.com/Ne...s-and-swimming
                      I try not to nitpick *everything* but the article is still up on the latimes website

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...svlRW9bc6yYGK0

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                        Responses to this letter are the reason I don't believe that the typical American is able to walk and chew gum at the same time in their exploration of complex social / political issues. Do I agree with the letter? More 'no' than 'yes.' Does this letter mean "we need not listen to [Public Health Experts]"? Come on...
                        It's the whole "Don't wear a face mask" - ooops, we mean DO wear a face mask, we only said NO because we were purposely being deceptive so first responders would have face masks, but, GEE GOLLY, you can trust EVERYTHING ELSE we say, including WHO's website that says we should NOT wear face masks, except, deeper down in that article, it says we should....

So, WHICH public health experts do we listen to, and how do we know when they're not being "purposely misleading"?

Comment

I try not to nitpick *everything* but the article is still up on the latimes website

Nitpick!

Comment

I can't verify because of a pay wall. I was able to access other articles in the Times that reference the debate the original article caused.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              It's the whole "Don't wear a face mask" - ooops, we mean DO wear a face mask, we only said NO because we were purposely being deceptive so first responders would have face masks, but, GEE GOLLY, you can trust EVERYTHING ELSE we say, including WHO's website that says we should NOT wear face masks, except, deeper down in that article, it says we should....

So, WHICH public health experts do we listen to, and how do we know when they're not being "purposely misleading"?
                              One might note that you seem to be complaining about nuance surrounding this issue.

I'm happy to take a look at whatever you want to link me but I don't remember *ever* hearing that "face masks don't help" only that "face masks will do you little unlike health workers who need them tremendously."

Comment