Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Tweet in Memory of George Floydd that Twitter took down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    You expect the police to sort through the crowd after it becomes violent?
    And why should the police begin to clear out peaceful protesters when there isn't violence? Because that is happening as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Let's go get root beer floats!
      I'm more in the mood for a milk shake.

Remember how they use to bring out a large glass full of milk shake with whip cream and a cherry on top along with the metal cylindrical container (also like a large drinking glass) with more milk shake (usually enough to re-fill the glass up two-thirds to three-quarters full)?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Remember how they use to bring out a large glass full of milk shake with whip cream and a cherry on top along with the metal cylindrical container (also like a large drinking glass) with more milk shake (usually enough to re-fill the glass up two-thirds to three-quarters full)?
        I know a place down town who'll still do milkshakes like this. Without the cherry though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          I did. I don't buy it whatever he is selling. If the police didn't beat up the peaceful protesters, or remove them as well, I'd be all in support of it. But that's not what is happening, peaceful protests are being called violent, to justify removing them.
          If you haven't seen this one you can see police assaulting an old man (75) for no reason at all and ultimately sending him to the hospital. In protest of the police involved being punished 57 members of the riot squad resigned. I'll say that again. Because the two officers involved were punished 57 riot squad members *resigned* in *protest*.

Makes me sick to even type that out.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
            If you haven't seen this one you can see police assaulting an old man (75) for no reason at all and ultimately sending him to the hospital. In protest of the police involved being punished 57 members of the riot squad resigned. I'll say that again. Because the two officers involved were punished 57 riot squad members *resigned* in *protest*.

Wait for people here to say that this is "unfortunate but understandable" and not blame the police in anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              You expect the police to sort through the crowd after it becomes violent?
              The vast majority of protests are peaceful. The sporatic violence and looting which gets all the attention is not coming from the protesters, it's coming from individuals and politically driven groups who are taking advantage of the protests in order to carry out their own agendas.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Last time I was at Steak & Shake - they still did that.

Also, we had a "59 Diner" that was notorious for that.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Anyway I'm exhausted of talking of this police stuff. I'm just repeating myself at this point.

I'll take a leave of absence from Tweb until things have calmed down. :bye:

Comment

Anyway I'm exhausted of talking of this police stuff. I'm just repeating myself at this point.

This is 2020.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I will HUNT YOU DOWN and DRAG YOU BACK!!!!
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The police department even initially released an official statement claiming that he fell on his own.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          The police department even initially released an official statement claiming that he fell on his own.
                          OK, that stinks --- it's obvious the guy was pushed down - nobody can dispute that....

All 57 of the members of the Buffalo Police Department's Emergency Response Team resigned Friday from the unit which responds to riots and other crowd control situations, the president of the union that represents Buffalo police officers told The Buffalo News.

And, there, again, is the UNION speaking for them, and I have a serious problem with that.

Two law enforcement sources confirmed the resignations.

Two members of the Emergency Response Team were suspended without pay late Thursday after they involved in pushing a 75-year-old protester to the ground as they were clearing the area in front of Buffalo City Hall at the emergency curfew. The Erie County District Attorney's Office is investigating the incident. No charges have been filed.

The Emergency Response Team members have not quit the police department, but have stepped down from the tactical unit, according to the sources.

So, let's be clear - they simply resigned from the ERT, not from their jobs as police officers, and in a city like that, they're not usually full-time ERT, but simply gear up for responses when needed.

So, their "resignations" really don't mean squat.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            So, let's be clear - they simply resigned from the ERT, not from their jobs as police officers, and in a city like that, they're not usually full-time ERT, but simply gear up for responses when needed.

So, their "resignations" really don't mean squat.
                            Even if logistically they don't mean squat (I'll take your word) it makes an obvious symbolic point.

Comment

The police union in Illinois was the major supporter of the eavesdropping law that used to be on the books in that state that would have provided a penalty of up to 15 years in prison for recording a police officer. That made national news a few years ago when a woman was groped by a police officer in Chicago. She went in to the station to file a complaint. The station refused to take the complaint, so she started recording the encounter, and they tried to put her away for 15 years for that.

The head of the Illinois union infamously told Radley Balko that he supported that law because people just need to trust the police. If the police department in Buffalo is willing to put out false statements like this one, I just don't see why we should take that argument seriously.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Even if logistically they don't mean squat (I'll take your word) it makes an obvious symbolic point.
                                One of those "we're unhappy, but we ain't gonna let it affect our wallets!" VERY brave.

ETA: it's POSSIBLE they lose the equivalent of "hazard duty pay" or something, but.... pfffffft.
                                Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-05-2020, 05:56 PM.

Comment