Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Huge Job Growth!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I've been hearing a lot of people expressing doubt, Leon.
    Bah I say.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      Bah I say.
      OK, you dunnit! You made me laugh out loud.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Trump probably stumbled upon a politically brilliant move today, though not one I approve of.

He stated that George Floyd would be smiling down from heaven about the job numbers. The upshot of the controversy is that more people are hearing about the job numbers.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That Democrats are either working towards or need to keep unemployment high.
          Of course they do...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Of course they do...

I know a lot of conservatives probably believe that, but as a liberal, it's just stupid.

Comment

I know a lot of conservatives probably believe that, but as a liberal, it's just stupid.
              You are not an american liberal - two completely different animals... Remember we had high profile liberals saying we need a recession to get rid of Trump...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ession/596500/

https://flipboard.com/@WashPost/don-...ingtonpost.com
              Last edited by seer; 06-05-2020, 02:29 PM.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

From the lips of the POTUS himself...

So Trump would have us believe the BLS was rampantly fudging data, so rampant that the actual numbers were really as high as 30-40% (even I wouldn't take it that far), but that we're now supposed to believe a BLS miracle occurred that makes even less sense? Come on.

Comment

Part of the GOP stimulus package included loans for small businesses. To be eligible for one, the business had to guarantee that it'd use 75% of the loan to hire staff back (edit: this part may have been a concession to congressional Dems).

One of the caveats I've heard about this good jobs report is that the increase is due (in part?) to that 75% being spent on hiring. It remains to be seen whether businesses will need as many employees as they did before the pandemic (re. economy contraction), as well as whether the loans will actually help the businesses stay solvent. The next half year will tell us whether this jobs report represented permanent growth.

Comment

I'm having a deja vu.
                    More like a Deja Poo.

That's the feeling that you've seen all this poop before

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That Democrats are either working towards or need to keep unemployment high.
                      Well, we do have some that are on record hoping for a recession if it means they have a better chance of ousting Trump. And there are liberals and Democrats cautioning their own side against such an approach...

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      As the late Billy Mays used to say, "But wait, there's more!"

Aside from Maher (who actually doubled down on his remarks) as well as our own little jimmy defending him:
                      Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      In defense of Mr. Maher, the survival of democracy is more important to him than the temporary setback in an improving economy which improvement Trump had little to do with anyway.

you also have folks such as Paul Krugman, the economist for your precious New York Times, who has been pining for what he calls the "Trump Slump" among other things. This is the same clown who proclaimed that the stock market would "never" recover from its initial sell-off on news of a Trump victory and that Trump's election would immediately trigger a global recession.

And recently Rep. John Delaney (D - MD) chastised members in his own party for cheer leading for a financial collapse: PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE JOHN DELANEY SAYS 'SOME DEMOCRATS ARE CHEERING ON A RECESSION' TO 'STICK IT TO TRUMP'

ETA: I managed to omit that a long-time staffer for the left leaning, nakedly anti-Trump Atlantic magazine thought it necessary to caution readers to not root for a recession just because one would likely hurt Trump and a writer at New York magazine pondering the question of whether a recession is worth getting rid of Trump and concluding it would be a mixed bag:

We all would like to see Trump gone in 2021. If we also believe that a recession would significantly boost the odds of that happening, should we be rooting for one, despite the pain it would cause millions of people?

My take is that if you believe a second Trump term would be a true disaster for the country and for the world — and I count myself among those who do — it’s not insane to have mixed feelings about all this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        Trump probably stumbled upon a politically brilliant move today, though not one I approve of.

He stated that George Floyd would be smiling down from heaven about the job numbers. The upshot of the controversy is that more people are hearing about the job numbers.
                        It’s not really brilliant when you consider it makes the few in his base who have a conscience cringe at the absolute trollishness of it, while causing more of his opposition to hate him even more for throwing gas in the fire.

Comment

Here's a graph to put the "huge job growth" into perspective.

EZ1WhQRWkAA-Da7.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            You are not an american liberal - two completely different animals... Remember we had high profile liberals saying we need a recession to get rid of Trump...

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...ession/596500/

https://flipboard.com/@WashPost/don-...ingtonpost.com
                            Heck, we had liberals in this very forum saying they would be happy to see the US face economic hardship and all the suffering it entails if it would hurt Trump's reelection chances.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                              Here's a graph to put the "huge job growth" into perspective.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45366[/ATTACH]
                              So, Fred's future is headed in the right direction! Good on Fred!
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So, Fred's future is headed in the right direction! Good on Fred!
                                I don't know who FRED is (I mean, I see it on the graph too) but that picture was tweeted by Paul Krugman.
                                Last edited by DivineOb; 06-06-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment