Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Riot Arrests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riot Arrests

Earlier this week, everybody was talking about how it was outsiders coming in to cause the riots and you would see it when you saw who was arrested.

While it's still a little early to conclude anything, in my city 100% of the arrest were city residents or the adjacent suburbs.

Is this issue going to quietly disappear as the mayors discover it really was their citizens who damaged their own towns?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    Earlier this week, everybody was talking about how it was outsiders coming in to cause the riots and you would see it when you saw who was arrested.

While it's still a little early to conclude anything, in my city 100% of the arrest were city residents or the adjacent suburbs.

Is this issue going to quietly disappear as the mayors discover it really was their citizens who damaged their own towns?
    Actually, I've looked into this some more, and found that where public information is available, OR, public statements have been made, MANY of the arrests are done by locals.
    In one of the reports (I'll see if I can find it) the law enforcement agency said that the instigators from "outside" were much more disciplined, and used almost "military tactics" in slipping in, creating havoc, and slipping back out. So he emphasizes that, REGARDLESS of the fact that most arrests have been "locals", that doesn't mean that most of the violence has been dome by locals.

ETA: In one of my police classes, one of the instructors had said that "we only catch 10% of all persons driving drunk", and I asked, "how do we know that?"
    He paused for a minute, and I asked, How do we know who's driving drunk if we don't catch them?
    He told me he'd get back to me on that. That was 1974.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Actually, I've looked into this some more, and found that where public information is available, OR, public statements have been made, MANY of the arrests are done by locals.
      In one of the reports (I'll see if I can find it) the law enforcement agency said that the instigators from "outside" were much more disciplined, and used almost "military tactics" in slipping in, creating havoc, and slipping back out. So he emphasizes that, REGARDLESS of the fact that most arrests have been "locals", that doesn't mean that most of the violence has been dome by locals.
      Wow, CP actually proposing a conspiracy theory that not only can't be proven, but doesn't even make sense. So you're argument is that this cabal of "outsiders" jumped around the country from city to city instigating rioting?

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        Wow, CP actually proposing a conspiracy theory that not only can't be proven,
        Not proposing a conspiracy theory at all -- just referencing something one of the law enforcement professionals said.

but doesn't even make sense.
        Did I pee in your Wheaties or something?

So you're argument is that this cabal of "outsiders" jumped around the country from city to city instigating rioting?
        No.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not proposing a conspiracy theory at all -- just referencing something one of the law enforcement professionals said.

Did I pee in your Wheaties or something?

No.
          What law enforcement professionals are you speaking of? If they're suggesting that outsiders caused the rioting, but were too "disciplined" and used "military tactics" to do it without getting caught, suggests a conspiracy theory to me. Since this was nationwide, these outsiders would have to have moved around the country doing this, otherwise why would this happen in just one city and not the others?

Comment

The information about "foreign" rioters first was broadcast on the first night of rioting, and it quickly gained traction. However, after a few more nights, local government / law enforcement were admitting that the problem wasn't all "foreign". In fact, I haven't heard anyone claim that the trouble-makers were all imported, for the last 4 days or so...

It's the fog of war, in a loose sense. No one should place complete trust in what they hear immediately after large-scale combat/tragedy. This applies as much to Bush's Shock And Awe! campaign as it does to a tornado leveling a town, etc.
            Last edited by Whateverman; 06-05-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

What law enforcement professionals are you speaking of?
              How bout actually reading what I wrote, eh?
              ...In one of the reports (I'll see if I can find it) the law enforcement agency said...

If they're suggesting that outsiders caused the rioting, but were too "disciplined" and used "military tactics" to do it without getting caught,
              That was a possibility he suggested, but AS I SAID....
              ...Actually, I've looked into this some more, and found that where public information is available, OR, public statements have been made, MANY of the arrests are done by locals...

suggests a conspiracy theory to me. Since this was nationwide, these outsiders would have to have moved around the country doing this, otherwise why would this happen in just one city and not the others?
              That's just dumb. You think, perhaps, "these outsiders" are concentrated in only one location, and would have to move to each location? You think, for example, BLM* has only ONE central location from which they dispatch personnel to places nationwide?

*NOT saying BLM was involved - just using an example.

Comment

How bout actually reading what I wrote, eh?

That was a possibility he suggested, but AS I SAID....

That's just dumb. You think, perhaps, "these outsiders" are concentrated in only one location, and would have to move to each location? You think, for example, BLM* has only ONE central location from which they dispatch personnel to places nationwide?

*NOT saying BLM was involved - just using an example.
                CP, no. I'm not suggesting outsiders orchestrated it, you did, and then backed it up by saying some "law enforcement agency" said without citing it. I was trying to parse your argument and wanted to know what agency you were speaking of. You seem to be moving the goalposts now.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                  The information about "foreign" rioters first was broadcast on the first night of rioting, and it quickly gained traction. However, after a few more nights, local government / law enforcement were admitting that the problem wasn't all "foreign". In fact, I haven't heard anyone claim that the trouble-makers were all imported, for the last 4 days or so...
                  Which is why, of course, I said "Actually, I've looked into this some more, and found that where public information is available, OR, public statements have been made, MANY of the arrests are done by locals."

It's the fog of war, in a loose sense.
                  Which is why I FREQUENTLY recite the military mantra "the first reports from the field are almost never correct".

No one should place complete trust in what they here immediately after large-scale combat/tragedy. This applies as much to Bush's Shock And Awe! campaign as it does to a tornado leveling a town, etc.
                  And it's ALSO why -- as Quannell X learned after his "police training" - you HAVE to learn to WAIT FOR THE FACTS.

Comment

CP, no. I'm not suggesting outsiders orchestrated it, you did,
                    No, I said I looked into it, and found it to be not true, then I added an opinion from a law enforcement person...

and then backed it up by saying some "law enforcement agency" said without citing it.
                    Yeah, um.... I said "I'll see if I can find it", but got busy responding to your misrepresentation of what I was saying.

I was trying to parse your argument and wanted to know what agency you were speaking of. You seem to be moving the goalposts now.
                    I stand by what I said.

Comment

Reports from Minneapolis indicate that 85% of those arrested were locals which is the same percentage here in Atlanta.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Reports from Minneapolis indicate that 85% of those arrested were locals which is the same percentage here in Atlanta.
                        Isn't Atlanta mostly black, and run by blacks? What are the demonstrators demonstrating there?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Isn't Atlanta mostly black, and run by blacks? What are the demonstrators demonstrating there?
                          Themselves?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

As expected, the mayor and media have let the issue quietly die once the numbers came in and they realized it was their own people. I thought of this because today they announced FEDERAL arson charges against 4 local people for events in the May riots.

They say the first thing you have to do is admit you have a problem. I think the mayors need to realize it's their own people who caused the majority of the problems.
                            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment