Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Fulfilled prophecy- I will build my church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fulfilled prophecy- I will build my church

"And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." (Mt. 16:18)

“There is no greater drama in human record than the sight of a few Christians, scorned or oppressed by a succession of emperors, bearing all trials with a fierce tenacity, multiplying quietly, building order while their enemies generated chaos, fighting the sword with the word, brutality with hope, and at last defeating the strongest state that history has known. Caesar and Christ had met in the arena, and Christ had won.” – Will Durant, in The Story of Civilization: Caesar and Christ

And 2000 years later, his church is still around, and being built.

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

And, overnight, every Pastor in America became a televangelist!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Peter was not the rock that Jesus was referring to, it was his statement about who Christ is.

V. 16-17

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

17 And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
        And 2000 years later, his church is still around, and being built.
        Buddhism's been around longer, and it's flourishing just as much.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          And, overnight, every Pastor in America became a televangelist!
          The good news goes on, by radio waves or by sound waves!

Blessings,
          Lee
          "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
            Peter was not the rock that Jesus was referring to, it was his statement about who Christ is.

V. 16-17

17 And Jesus said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.
            That's fine, I was wanting to focus on "I will build my church..."

Blessings,
            Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
              Buddhism's been around longer, and it's flourishing just as much.
              And is there a prophecy about Buddhism prospering? There is in fact a prophecy about other religions failing:

“Tell them this: ‘These gods, who did not make the heavens and the earth, will perish from the earth and from under the heavens.’ ” (Jer. 10:11)

Blessings,
              Lee

Comment

And is there a prophecy about Buddhism prospering?
                If you were interested in knowing whether biblical prophecy is effective or not, you'd go researching the question, rather than demanding other people prove it isn't.. The simple fact is that Buddhism has been around for thousands of years longer than Christianity has, and where you see success in growing the Christian church, you can find similar successes in Buddhism or Islam.

There is in fact a prophecy about other religions failing
                Buddhism hasn't failed. It's survived and prospered for more than twice the time the word "Christianity" has existed.

Comment

Here's a novel (not really) thought. Jesus words about the gates of hell not overcoming the Church isn't primarily meant as a prophecy to confirm the truth of Christianity to outsiders, but as words of comfort to the believers who are already on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

V. 16-17

Why did Jesus answer "but my father who is in heaven?" Isn't the father omnipresent?

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                      The simple fact is that Buddhism has been around for thousands of years longer than Christianity has...
                      Well, not if you include Christianity's Jewish heritage!

... and where you see success in growing the Christian church, you can find similar successes in Buddhism or Islam.
                      But the Roman state tried to snuff out the fledgling religion, and communism recently tried the same thing, yet it prospered.

"For it is written, 'As I live, says the Lord, every knee will bow to me, and every tongue will give praise to God.' " (Rom. 14:11)

So we shall see how this turns out...

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Here's a novel (not really) thought. Jesus words about the gates of hell not overcoming the Church isn't primarily meant as a prophecy to confirm the truth of Christianity to outsiders, but as words of comfort to the believers who are already on the inside.
                        Well, I think maybe it's both!

Blessings,
                        Lee

Comment

And is there a prophecy about Buddhism prospering? There is in fact a prophecy about other religions failing:

“Tell them this: ‘These gods, who did not make the heavens and the earth, will perish from the earth and from under the heavens.’ ” (Jer. 10:11)

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          Sounds like Jesus was acknowledging the existence of other gods. Perhaps he goofed and meant to say these other religions will perish?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Why did Jesus answer "but my father who is in heaven?" Isn't the father omnipresent?
                            Well, the Father is especially present in heaven, but omnipresent elsewhere.

"This is what the LORD says:

'Heaven is my throne,
                            and the earth is my footstool.
                            Where is the house you will build for me?
                            Where will my resting place be?' " (Isa. 66:1)

Blessings,
                            Lee

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                              Sounds like Jesus was acknowledging the existence of other gods. Perhaps he goofed and meant to say these other religions will perish?
                              Well, "gods" is a way of referring to other religions.

"For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live." (1 Cor. 8:5-6)

"The arrogance of man will be brought low
                              and human pride humbled;
                              the LORD alone will be exalted in that day,
                              and the idols will totally disappear." (Isa. 2:17–18)

Comment