Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    She'll just be replaced by the next liberal stooge in line...
    We can always hope that the citizenry has had a wake-up, but, yeah...
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Long article from CNN about life in the CHOP zone. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/05/us/ch...ety/index.html I wasn't there but it seems reasonably balanced. When I finished, I thought of Lord of the Flies and the ending line of the book:

“Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart, and the fall through the air of the true, wise friend called Piggy.”
      William Golding, Lord of the Flies
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

• Related news:

FEMA denies Minnesota’s request for federal aid to help repair Twin Cities damage after George Floyd protests

Minnesota, you’re on your own.

About a week after Gov. Tim Walz wrote to President Trump requesting federal aid to repair widespread damage in Minneapolis and St. Paul from the fiery George Floyd protests, the Federal Emergency Management Agency rebuffed the request for a financial helping hand.

The state has estimated total damages at more than $500 million, and Walz specifically wrote in his July 2 letter that $15 million in cleanup and repair costs could be eligible for federal reimbursement.

“The governor is disappointed that the federal government declined his request for financial support ... to help Minnesota rebuild after civil unrest damaged public infrastructure and caused extensive fire damage in the wake of George Floyd’s death,” spokesman Teddy Tschann said in a statement.

“As we navigate one of the most difficult periods in our state’s history, we look for support from our federal government to help us through,” he said.

Hundreds of buildings in the Twin Cities were destroyed by fires, looted or damaged during the nightly protests following Floyd’s May 25 death beneath the knee of a white Minneapolis cop. A local police precinct was among the structures torched during the demonstrations.

Walz noted in his letter that it was “the second most destructive incident of civil unrest in United States history after the 1992 Los Angeles riots.”

The governor noted the state budget was further crippled by the COVID-19 pandemic, with an anticipated $1.5 billion surplus morphing into a projected deficit of $2.4 billion.

FEMA, in a statement provided to Minnesota Public Radio, said the turndown came after a “thorough review” of the state’s request for the funds as a major disaster area.

“It was determined that the impact to public infrastructure is within the capabilities of the local and state governments to recover from,” the statement concluded.

Minnesota officials now have 30 days to appeal the federal rejection, with the governor’s spokesman saying his office was “exploring more options” to resolve its dire financial situation.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...iqi-story.html

I think that they were responsible for allowing the destruction and even encouraging it, so they should pay for the damages themselves. Maybe they can use all that money they will be saving by defunding the police.

Comment

• I should note that Atlanta apparently had an autonomous zone around the Wendy's where Rayshard Brooks was shot that was blockaded and patrolled by gun-toting thugs. Didn't receive much coverage and I wasn't even aware of it until the inevitable happened.

On July 4th an African-American mother with her 8-year-old daughter tried to maneuver her car around some of the illegally placed barricades in order to enter a nearby parking lot which resulted in at least two of thugs opening fire on the car and killing the child.

The mayor here acted suitably horrified proclaiming "You shot and killed a baby" while meticulously ignoring how her administration tolerated the conditions that led to this tragedy.

Of course none of the "protesters" who had taken the area over saw anything and haven't the slightest idea who the (at least) two murderers are.

So much for their giving a $#@%# about black lives.

In other news, the new interim police chief has been highly critical of the Fulton D.A. for indicting the officers involved in Brook's shooting, saying that he won't comment on the issue of guilt or innocence regarding the case but condemned the process that led to the indictment as being corrupt.

I kinda figure that he likely discovered that his position was only temporary so he felt free to express his honest opinion rather than kowtowing to the mayor and D.A.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment