Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events.

After racer Bubba Wallace calls for it, NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events. Wallace drives a car with the insignia "BLACK LIVES MATTER."
    www.cnn.com/2020/06/10/us/nascar-bans-confederate-flag-spt-trnd/index.html

tWebber
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you needed proof that a tectonic shift is underway in this country this is a pretty good indication.

3. Amen Reepicheep amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The cars will still go fast and turn left.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

5. Amen DivineOb amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The cars will still go fast and turn left.

Left seems appropriate.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

7. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    After racer Bubba Wallace calls for it, NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events. Wallace drives a car with the insignia "BLACK LIVES MATTER."
    The other drivers and NASCAR owners now need to get on their knees and apologize for their white privilege...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    The other drivers and NASCAR owners now need to get on their knees and apologize for their white privilege...

Oh, my Lord Jesus Christ, please come soon!
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

10. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Oh, my Lord Jesus Christ, please come soon!
    These leftists will never be happy....
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    These leftists will never be happy....
    If somebody had posted that video even two years ago, I bet we'd have some of our liberals decrying that as fake, or "would NEVER happen"....

Faith
    Unspecified
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    This happened at roughly the same time as HBO Now decided to not show movies like Gone With The Wind. I thought the HBO thing was "meh": politically/socially relevant, but not worthy of much approval/ire.

The NASCAR thing seems to cut deeper, though. Racing is clearly more of a southern / midwest thing, and both of those geographies are stereotypically white conservative. It's easy to find images of people with beefed-up cars sporting the rebel flag, as if driving fast is somehow rebellious and patriotic at the same time. NASCAR taking a stand against this symbolism is much more significant.

On the whole, I haven't been to a single NASCAR event, and I don't remember ever having watched more than a few minutes of Gone With The Wind; neither of these stories means much to me. However, it seems obvious that a southern icon taking a stand against another southern icon is big news.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whateverman View Post
    This happened at roughly the same time as HBO Now decided to not show movies like Gone With The Wind. I thought the HBO thing was "meh": politically/socially relevant, but not worthy of much approval/ire.

The NASCAR thing seems to cut deeper, though. Racing is clearly more of a southern / midwest thing, and both of those geographies are stereotypically white conservative. It's easy to find images of people with beefed-up cars sporting the rebel flag, as if driving fast is somehow rebellious and patriotic at the same time. NASCAR taking a stand against this symbolism is much more significant.

On the whole, I haven't been to a single NASCAR event, and I don't remember ever having watched more than a few minutes of Gone With The Wind; neither of these stories means much to me. However, it seems obvious that a southern icon taking a stand against another southern icon is big news.
    GWTW was a favorite of my mom and sister (perhaps not so much now). It's a classic, but an artifact of a different era. I've never understood parading the confederate flag. All it means to me is support for slavery. But I realize it means other things to other people.
    He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

"So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"