Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NASCAR bans confederate flag from all events.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Columbus statue? I was taught in school to revere him. Great explorer he was not. He was a monster even in his day and age.

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      The Columbus statue? I was taught in school to revere him. Great explorer he was not. He was a monster even in his day and age.
      No he wasn't, most of his sins have been overblown. And just so you know the people who wanted his statue down also want Jefferson and Washington gone. The same people who are going after Churchill in your country. It is not so much about Columbus, but about not giving in to these idiots.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        No he wasn't, most of his sins have been overblown. And just so you know the people who wanted his statue down also want Jefferson and Washington gone. The same people who are going after Churchill in your country. It is not so much about Columbus, but about not giving in to these idiots.
        The same people seer? I believe the civil war statues of traitors to the country should come down, I don't believe Jefferson and Washington should come down.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
          The same people seer? I believe the civil war statues of traitors to the country should come down, I don't believe Jefferson and Washington should come down.
          So you support statues of slave owners?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Yes, they were ambiguous concerning the institution of slavery, but it was an accepted practice at the time, a practice that they tried to curtail. Jefferson himself proposed to ban slavery's spread into the Northwest territory long before Lincoln did. But though they were products of the time where slavery had long been an accepted practice, they didn't rebel against their country in order to continue the institution of slavery.

Comment

Yes, they were ambiguous concerning the institution of slavery, but it was an accepted practice at the time, a practice that they tried to curtail. Jefferson himself proposed to ban slavery's spread into the Northwest territory long before Lincoln did. But though they were products of the time where slavery had long been an accepted practice, they didn't rebel against their country in order to continue the institution of slavery.
              JimL supports slavery and slave owners!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                There's a pretty big difference between someone owning a slave and someone fighting to let slaves be owned. Neither is great, but the latter is much much worse.

Comment

No, not really. More like the Colston statue which got dumped in the sea in Bristol (and good riddance)

Comment

I wasn't talking about Civil War statues. But Columbus in my home town. And the same people who wanted his statue down also want Jefferson and Washington gone... You can't give these people an inch.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
                      There's a pretty big difference between someone owning a slave and someone fighting to let slaves be owned. Neither is great, but the latter is much much worse.

I love how it is OK for liberals to make distinctions and excuses for their pet ideas, but want to accuse conservatives of being evil incarnate for anything they don't agree with. You realize that the Civil War was not just about slavery, right? And that the generals were just fighting for their states and what they considered a new union right? Not "fighting for slaves to be owned" - but no, that distinction doesn't hold when conservatives are concerned and confederate symbols. If they want to protect our history, they are racist! Slavers!

Case in point. Statues to presidents who owned slaves are OK because owning slaves wasn't all they did. It was just something that everyone did back then. But a statue of Columbus is wrong because he had slaves or mistreated natives. Or General Lee who wasn't pro-slavery at all and even freed his father-in-laws slaves he inherited after 5 years as the will stated.

more at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/u...ee-slaves.html

Comment

No, not really. More like the Colston statue which got dumped in the sea in Bristol (and good riddance)
                        Oh really? Didn't they have to board up the Churchill statue? And I don't know who Colston is.

Churchill statue 'may have to be put in museum', says granddaughter

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53033550

Comment

And the Cromwell statue, considering his actions in Northern Ireland...
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Which sins do you think have been overblown, specifically?

Comment

Oh really? Didn't they have to board up the Churchill statue? And I don't know who Colston is.

Churchill statue 'may have to be put in museum', says granddaughter

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53033550
                              Many statues were boarded up, including Ghandi for example. It's also happened before. And the lovely chaps who went to London to 'protect the statues' also covered themselves in glory, just the sort of person you'd want representing you

You should Google Colston. Philanthropist directly involved with slavery. Lovely chap.

Comment

Which sins do you think have been overblown, specifically?
                                You can start here:https://www.officialchristophercolum...tdlrK__K0ucQ1I

Comment