Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Why Minneapolis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Minneapolis?

Source: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/06/wesley-lowery-george-floyd-minneapolis-black-lives/612391/

Why Minneapolis Was the Breaking Point

© Copyright Original Source

While the title promises the idea that it'll be an explanation as to why it was this case of a man killed by police that caused all of this outrage whereas previous ones never aroused this kind of response, the article seems to forget all about that early on and just talks about the results of the incident rather than the analysis that is indicated by the article. And it's all rather meandering too.

Which is especially annoying as I was actually very intrigued about the question of why this case became so omnipresent, unlike previous ones. I would totally be interested in an analysis of why that's the case. But this article, most unfortunately, misleads the reader into expecting such a thing, then doesn't deliver on it. A big disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
      While the title promises the idea that it'll be an explanation as to why it was this case of a man killed by police that caused all of this outrage whereas previous ones never aroused this kind of response, the article seems to forget all about that early on and just talks about the results of the incident rather than the analysis that is indicated by the article. And it's all rather meandering too.

Which is especially annoying as I was actually very intrigued about the question of why this case became so omnipresent, unlike previous ones. I would totally be interested in an analysis of why that's the case. But this article, most unfortunately, misleads the reader into expecting such a thing, then doesn't deliver on it. A big disappointment.
      I'll take a stab at it. This case took off because we essentially watched a man slowly being killed for several minutes, and whose pleas to his tormentor were ignored. It's pretty rattling stuff. I've certainly never seen anything like that before.

But what gets lost in this gigantic insane reaction is it was one cop in one jurisdiction; Minneapolis. Seattle has nothing to do with Minneapolis, Los Angeles doesn't, Atlanta doesn't. They have no authority to hire or fire Derek Chauvin, and no responsibility for his actions. But the whole country is paying for it because common sense is lost, as well as perspective. Because a man was murdered in Minneapolis, Seattle now has an anarchy zone.

Comment

I'd say that the others were pretty much in the heat of the moment whereas with Floyd it appears calculated and deliberate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'd say this reaction happened because people had been suffering from cabin fever since march and so when this murder happened, their emotions gave them a cause and a reason to leave their homes and get back outside. After that, the release of just being free again, and the anger at the murder, along with social media and the MSM finally having a story to push 24/7 other than COVID-19, all came together to cause the perfect storm. And here we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
            I'll take a stab at it. This case took off because we essentially watched a man slowly being killed for several minutes, and whose pleas to his tormentor were ignored. It's pretty rattling stuff. I've certainly never seen anything like that before.

But what gets lost in this gigantic insane reaction is it was one cop in one jurisdiction; Minneapolis. Seattle has nothing to do with Minneapolis, Los Angeles doesn't, Atlanta doesn't. They have no authority to hire or fire Derek Chauvin, and no responsibility for his actions. But the whole country is paying for it because common sense is lost, as well as perspective. Because a man was murdered in Minneapolis, Seattle now has an anarchy zone.
            This is the ONE case where I have not heard a single sane (or even semi-sane) person defend the killing at all, or make any excuses. I've tried hard to come up with ANYTHING that might be even a possibility for this happening -- ZILCH.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Actually you misrepresented the article in your response.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                Actually you misrepresented the article in your response.
                How?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I'd say this reaction happened because people had been suffering from cabin fever since march and so when this murder happened, their emotions gave them a cause and a reason to leave their homes and get back outside. After that, the release of just being free again, and the anger at the murder, along with social media and the MSM finally having a story to push 24/7 other than COVID-19, all came together to cause the perfect storm. And here we are.
                  Susan Rice (an actual top tier democratic VP candidate as I write this) says it was... can you guess... THE RUSSIANS!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    This is the ONE case where I have not heard a single sane (or even semi-sane) person defend the killing at all, or make any excuses. I've tried hard to come up with ANYTHING that might be even a possibility for this happening -- ZILCH.
                    Me either. Other than some insensitive Facebook trolls that tried to make jokes about the incident (as referenced elsewhere here), I'd say this has been universally condemned.

Comment