Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Forum weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum weirdness

I know these PHP / BBCode forum implementations vary from place to place, so I'm sympathetic to there being differences between them. Nonetheless:

It's pretty frustrating to have a post - when quoted - get broken into multiple quote boxes. Here's an example:

The original post: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post747558

The quoted post: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post748069

I've played with it a bit on the client end (ie. my web browser), and a few times, I've been able to trick the web server into not placing extra quote tags around the paragraphs. Beyond that, this seems to be an issue on the server side, and is thus not something I can fix.

Is this a known issue? Is there anything I can do to avoid it (short of using the BOX rather than QUOTE tags)? Is there a limit to a paragraph's length?
    Last edited by Whateverman; 06-11-2020, 09:28 PM.

I'm gonna do a little testing. Below are two "posts", 480 and 550 chars long respectively. I wonder if the amount of text in the QUOTE tag matters to how it gets sent back to me web browser:

It's more complicated than that, though. We have several industries (insurance, legal representation, managed health care, pharmaceuticals/research, etc) that have grown up around the competitive model of healthcare here in the US. Even if the government could find a way to afford to provide healthcare for all citizens (and yes, I know that doesn't mean they'd pay every penny), having them step in to provide it would have a pretty significant impact on the economy and the ass

It's more complicated than that, though. We have several industries (insurance, legal representation, managed health care, pharmaceuticals/research, etc) that have grown up around the competitive model of healthcare here in the US. Even if the government could find a way to afford to provide healthcare for all citizens (and yes, I know that doesn't mean they'd pay every penny), having them step in to provide it would have a pretty significant impact on the economy and the assIt's more complicated than that, though. We have several industries (i

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
      It's more complicated than that, though. We have several industries (insurance, legal representation, managed health care, pharmaceuticals/research, etc) that have grown up around the competitive model of healthcare here in the US. Even if the government could find a way to afford to provide healthcare for all citizens (and yes, I know that doesn't mean they'd pay every penny), having them step in to provide it would have a pretty significant impact on the economy and the ass
      It's more complicated than that, though. We have several industries (insurance, legal representation, managed health care, pharmaceuticals/research, etc) that have grown up around the competitive model of healthcare here in the US. Even if the government could find a way to afford to provide healthcare for all citizens (and yes, I know that doesn't mean they'd pay every penny), having them step in to provide it would have a pretty significant impact on the economy and the assIt's more complicated than that, though. We have several industries (i
      Does the second one get broken up?

Comment

Nope. Lemme see what happens of there's a CRLF in the long quote:

It's more complicated than that, though. We have several industries (insurance, legal representation, managed health care, pharmaceuticals/research, etc) that have grown up around the competitive model of healthcare here in the US. Even if the government could find a way to afford to provide healthcare for all citizens (and yes, I know that doesn't mean they'd pay every penny), having them step in to provide it would have a pretty significant impact on the economy and the assIt's more

complicated than that, though. We have several industries (i

Comment

Nope. Here's the one I originally posted again. It's 652 chars long, without BBCode tags:

It's more complicated than that, though. We have several industries (insurance, legal representation, managed health care, pharmaceuticals/research, etc) that have grown up around the competitive model of healthcare here in the US. Even if the government could find a way to afford to provide healthcare for all citizens (and yes, I know that doesn't mean they'd pay every penny), having them step in to provide it would have a pretty significant impact on the economy and the associated industries.

I personally think we need to reform several things before it's possible for the US to start treating healthcare like many other modern countries do.

Comment

Hmm. Maybe it's when a long quote is embedded in another quote?

It's more complicated than that, though. We have several industries (insurance, legal representation, managed health care, pharmaceuticals/research, etc) that have grown up around the competitive model of healthcare here in the US. Even if the government could find a way to afford to provide healthcare for all citizens (and yes, I know that doesn't mean they'd pay every penny), having them step in to provide it would have a pretty significant impact on the economy and the associated industries.

I personally think we need to reform several things before it's possible for the US to start treating healthcare like many other modern countries do.
            TEST

Comment

I'm stumped...

Comment

It's your font tags. For some reason, in the middle of the quote there's a font closing tag followed immediately by an opening tag for the same font. I edited one of your posts earlier today for language, and fixed the broken quote box while I was in there. Somehow the font tags ended up in the middle of a word, so I have no idea how it happened.
                Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                  It's your font tags. For some reason, in the middle of the quote there's a font closing tag followed immediately by an opening tag for the same font. I edited one of your posts earlier today for language, and fixed the broken quote box while I was in there. Somehow the font tags ended up in the middle of a word, so I have no idea how it happened.
                  OK. Thanks for noticing / fixing that.

Comment