Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Minneapolis police chief ends negotiations with police union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by myth View Post
    Indeed. You know just as well as I do, that the police also get upset with (actual) police corruption and bad use of force scenarios....it makes us all look bad.
    Yeah, I think the "old days" of "never rat out a brother officer" are, for the most part, gone, and most cops recognized that their own credibility is on the line.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Yeah, I think the "old days" of "never rat out a brother officer" are, for the most part, gone, and most cops recognized that their own credibility is on the line.
      I think it is mostly a TV trope. No good officer wants a crooked/racist fellow officer out there. He puts not only the whole department's reputation on the line, but endangers anyone who works with him.

Comment

Minneapolis police chief ends negotiations with police union

This thread is about the Minneapolis POLICE UNION, and may spill over into other POLICE UNION topics.

I know I sound like a broken record on POLICE UNIONS, but I think that's a YUGE part of reforming police departments --- apparently so does Minneapolis' Police Chief.
        Speaking of police unions, I thought you might be interested.

From a piece in the New Yorker[1] 'News Desk' section:

Source: How Police-Union Power Helped Increase Abuses

Source

© Copyright Original Source

That's a little over half of the article. If you want the rest, click the link provided above.

1. A decidedly liberal publication (HERE and HERE as well)

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Speaking of police unions, I thought you might be interested.

From a piece in the New Yorker[1] 'News Desk' section:

Source: How Police-Union Power Helped Increase Abuses

Source

© Copyright Original Source

That's a little over half of the article. If you want the rest, click the link provided above.

1. A decidedly liberal publication (HERE and HERE as well)
          Yeah, Police Unions are becoming quite the problem --- the left LOVES unions -- except these ones, but they can't speak out against them, so they have to pretend they don't exist.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Didn't various unions get taken over by the mob? What happens when the police union is taken over by the mob?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              Didn't various unions get taken over by the mob? What happens when the police union is taken over by the mob?
              It is legend that a number of unions are part of mob operations.

Mafia/Union Ties Still Strong

It was the Teamsters Union that wanted to "organize" the Police Department where I served, but they were voted down.
              The THREE officers who were trying so hard to unionize us were the classic "bad apples", and shortly thereafter, were no longer with the Department.

Comment

It is very desirable for the mob to control the police unions, because the officers become incentivized to "look the other way" when the protection rackets and other organized crime operate.

Comment

It is very desirable for the mob to control the police unions, because the officers become incentivized to "look the other way" when the protection rackets and other organized crime operate.
                  I heard (maybe from a city police chief's son) that certain let's call them shady people were not to be pulled over for traffic stops. The son as much, as I understand it, worked as body guard for the shady people.

Note that this is not a request to defund police. It just means that the world is not always as simple as we would like it to be.

Comment

I heard (maybe from a city police chief's son) that certain let's call them shady people were not to be pulled over for traffic stops. The son as much, as I understand it, worked as body guard for the shady people.
                    When I was PD, I talked to a good friend of mine about switching to the Sheriff's Office, and he told me "you don't wanna do that". He showed me a list of names of persons he was not allowed to arrest, because they were either "special donors" or "persons of influence".

More than a few times, Ron had to drive a drunk home rather than arrest him for DUI, because his name was "on the list".

Note that this is not a request to defund police. It just means that the world is not always as simple as we would like it to be.
                    It's really not - and it's hard to find people of good solid moral character who want to put up with the crap of having to reform a stinking mess.

Comment

I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

I'd be interested if you hear anything else on this.

So, the liberals are at odds with THEMSELVES --- it's the LIBERALS who are so "Union friendly" and it's the UNIONS that prevent reform!
                      There is now a local group trying to defund (or at least majorly slash the budget) but they don't seem to be getting anywhere with our mayor or city council. I was a little surprised to read in the local paper that some council members were getting feedback that people didn't want changes to how the police act.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

When I was PD, I talked to a good friend of mine about switching to the Sheriff's Office, and he told me "you don't wanna do that". He showed me a list of names of persons he was not allowed to arrest, because they were either "special donors" or "persons of influence".

More than a few times, Ron had to drive a drunk home rather than arrest him for DUI, because his name was "on the list".

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                          Maybe systemic problems like this should have been addressed earlier before anger boiled over into the streets.
                          The one I cited was addressed long ago.

Do you play the lottery?

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                            There is now a local group trying to defund (or at least majorly slash the budget) but they don't seem to be getting anywhere with our mayor or city council. I was a little surprised to read in the local paper that some council members were getting feedback that people didn't want changes to how the police act.
                            I think this whole anarchy thing is changing the minds of a lot of people. It's showing the extreme left for who they are, and to what extent they will go.

I really think it's too bad that Trump can't seem to play the winning hand that is being delivered to him on a silver platter.

Comment

That might be the reason it's different here is that the bad apples were dealt with. We had some incidents about 5 years ago and apparently the police and the community worked out a better system.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

Comment

I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

I'd be interested if you hear anything else on this.
                                Yesterday, the announced a community group to reform the local police in the county. I like the fact that the city police chief and county sheriff both have a seat at the table. I think this is a sign it will be a negotiated solution and not an imposed solution. They have an aggressive timeline but it's still going to take 2 years with the goal of ushering in community policing. I think this is good and I hope everyone will be patient while this is worked through.

Comment