Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Abortion is murder"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "baby" isn't a scientific term people. "fetus," "embryo," "zygote" are. That's the difference. There is no scientific state of life called "baby" - so claiming it is "inaccurate" is just silly. Baby just refers to someone's offspring, usually at a very young age, but as has been pointed out, mothers refer to their 30 year old children as "my baby"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      So, when the embryo implants into the wall of the uterus, before it becomes a blastocyst, is the woman pregnant?

There's also

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...r/hlv-20049471

The first few months of pregnancy — the first trimester — are marked by rapid changes for both you and your baby.
      For you, first trimester physical changes might include breast tenderness, fatigue and nausea. Your emotions might range from excitement to anxiety. For your baby, the first trimester is a time of rapid growth and development. Your baby's brain, spinal cord and other organs begin to form, and your baby's heart begins to beat. Your baby's fingers and toes even begin to take shape.

Notice the "first trimester", which includes from fertilization through 13 weeks. And it is called a BABY. I'm getting really tired of dropping all of these mics...
      Thanks for doing the actual work, ODB. You failed but at least you tried.

1) Your first example doesn't make your point since obviously it's speaking about the entirely of the person's pregnancy.
      2) The second doesn't as the baby is classified a fetus before the end other the first trimester.

You and CP are trying to change history into the claiming that a claim is being made that the baby is is *never* called a baby while unborn but obviously that's false.
      Last edited by DivineOb; 06-18-2020, 11:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
        You and CP are trying to change history into the claiming that the baby is is *never* called a baby while unborn but obviously that's false.
        You might wanna try that sentence again, DO, cause it makes no sense.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

*Finally* your fourth bite at the apple gets us there.

I will agree that this link which speaks in informal language to a nonscientific audience describes an it as a baby at an early point in the pregnancy. Congrats. That still doesn't have anything to do with Whateverman's point.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
            *Finally* your fourth bite at the apple gets us there.

I will agree that this link which speaks in informal language to a nonscientific audience describes an it as a baby at an early point in the pregnancy. Congrats. That still doesn't have anything to do with Whateverman's point.
            Well, the original point was that the term "baby" isn't a scientific term for a stage of human growth and development, so thanks for playing.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Baby is only a term for offspring. It's not a scientific term for a stage of development! It's also used to mean an immature human(as an insult). Sure, infant is what may pop into your head first, but toddlers are still babies even if they are no longer infants. And premature babies are called babies even if they are still the same age as a fetus, they just have to struggle for survival while their peer is still living on easy street.
              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Well, the original point was that the term "baby" isn't a scientific term for a stage of human growth and development, so thanks for playing.
                Oh. Then I'll take back my kudos. Where do you think your links back *that* up?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  "baby" isn't a scientific term people. "fetus," "embryo," "zygote" are. That's the difference. There is no scientific state of life called "baby" - so claiming it is "inaccurate" is just silly.
                  Calling a blastocyst a "baby" is silly.

Calling something that looks akin to embryos of other species a baby is just as silly.

Face it: pro-life advocates call everything during the 9 month gestation period a baby, because it's easier to tug on emotions than address the complicated ethical situation that abortion is at the center of.

If you want pro-choicers to stop using technical terminology, stop pro-lifers from arguing from emotion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Whateverman View Post

Calling something that looks akin to embryos of other species a baby is just as silly.

Face it: pro-life advocates call everything during the 9 month gestation period a baby, because it's easier to tug on emotions than address the complicated ethical situation that abortion is at the center of.

If you want pro-choicers to stop using technical terminology, stop pro-lifers from arguing from emotion.
                    You're being a baby!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So when your wife/daughter/cousin/whoever says they are going to have a baby, do you correct them?
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                        So when your wife/daughter/cousin/whoever says they are going to have a baby, do you correct them?
                        Or when his wife/daughter/cousin/whoever has a miscarriage and, in deep sorrow, says "I lost my baby", does he correct them?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Or when his wife/daughter/cousin/whoever has a miscarriage and, in deep sorrow, says "I lost my baby", does he correct them?
                          I saw a way to weasel his way out, but I haven’t seen a logical reason to refer to unborn by their technical term in one case, but baby in another case. Beyond the emotional goal of dehumanization that is.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Doctors refer to them as babies too when talking to the pregnant mothers and doing exams. "Your baby is doing fine, listen you can hear her heart beat"

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                              I saw a way to weasel his way out, but I haven’t seen a logical reason to refer to unborn by their technical term in one case, but baby in another case. Beyond the emotional goal of dehumanization that is.
                              Which is weird. Becuase infant can apply to any very young primate, but it's not dehumanizing to call a baby less than a year out of the womb an infant. Embryo could refer to any multicellular organism at the beginning of development, including humans, but context usually makes clear what organism is being referred to. Fetus refers to the developing young of placental mammals, so specifying which mammal is important. I don't like the idea of killing any fetal or infant mammal(including the ones I am fine eating when they sre full grown).
                              If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• These guys seem to think if they can show it can't be called a "baby" then it isn't a human being and can be safely killed.

It's just a way to assuage guilt.

Comment