Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Making Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use a Keurig, still makes a single cup, but has a water reservoir that we fill with filtered water from the fridge.

We have mostly gone away from the single K-cups, and buy most of our coffee from Bulk Barn, in wonderful flavours like German Chocolate Cake and Salted Caramel. I grind it in store, and I bought a package of 5 reusable cups from Walmart for about $5. They last forever, and coffee is way less expensive than the cups.

I can't get Cinnamon Pastry, thought, except in the K-cups, and Mr. mossy likes a vile flavour called Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, which smells nasty and moldy to me, and that only comes in the cups, too. But I've had Pumpkin Spice from Bulk Barn and a couple of other flavours.

I like the flavoured coffee. Just in case you didn't notice.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      We use a Keurig, still makes a single cup, but has a water reservoir that we fill with filtered water from the fridge.

We have mostly gone away from the single K-cups, and buy most of our coffee from Bulk Barn, in wonderful flavours like German Chocolate Cake and Salted Caramel. I grind it in store, and I bought a package of 5 reusable cups from Walmart for about $5. They last forever, and coffee is way less expensive than the cups.

I can't get Cinnamon Pastry, thought, except in the K-cups, and Mr. mossy likes a vile flavour called Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, which smells nasty and moldy to me, and that only comes in the cups, too. But I've had Pumpkin Spice from Bulk Barn and a couple of other flavours.

I like the flavoured coffee. Just in case you didn't notice.
      Sometimes truffle seems moldy to me.

The nearest Bulk Barn is 1270 miles away, so I will have to stop by there on my way home from work someday.

These different flavors aren't like the jelly beans that imitate popcorn or cheesecake, are they? I guess I could try it out if I get something as an alternative coffee maker to replace my microwave oven -- with instant coffee. I was waiting until I could go in person to a store to get a coffee maker/pot.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
        I might try the reusable cup.
        I roast my own coffee from green beans I purchase. Not every time, but I drink my own coffee as often as I drink store-bought. For a while, I was using my own roast at work, which had a decent Keurig in the break room. I ended up spending a small chunk of change ($75?) to try and find the right resuable K-cup for the machine they let us use. It took a lot of trial and error - and by "error" I mean a mess around the machine I had to clean up - to get it right.

If you're willing to spend a little money and effort, a reusable cup isn't bad; a little bit of a PITA to clean at a company break room, but not bad.

I can give you alternate coffee making ideas, but they're usually expensive. The Japanese method of vacuum-extraction tastes fantastic, but it's nerdy and messy. The "camping" method of a flame-proof enameled-aluminum put into which you put grounds works well and is cheap, but it requires a stove and is messy to clean.

In my humble opinion, the 1-4 cup drip coffee maker with a resuable metal screen/filter and a metal pot/carafe is what (I think) you want. That's just an opinion, though.
        Last edited by Whateverman; 06-13-2020, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I'll see what is available. But I would mainly just need a 4 cup unit or a k-cup. There's a competitor to that k-cup, isn't there?

Paper filtered methods are most common now. Is the coffee gritty when made with a metal filter instead?

Comment

Sometimes truffle seems moldy to me.

The nearest Bulk Barn is 1270 miles away, so I will have to stop by there on my way home from work someday.

These different flavors aren't like the jelly beans that imitate popcorn or cheesecake, are they? I guess I could try it out if I get something as an alternative coffee maker to replace my microwave oven -- with instant coffee. I was waiting until I could go in person to a store to get a coffee maker/pot.
            I think the truffle is meant to emulate the candy, not the fungi.

Sorry about the Bulk Barn thing. I don't know if that's a Canadian thing, but maybe there is an American facsimile.

The flavours may be artificial, I don't know for sure. But they taste good to me!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I think the truffle is meant to emulate the candy, not the fungi.

Sorry about the Bulk Barn thing. I don't know if that's a Canadian thing, but maybe there is an American facsimile.

The flavours may be artificial, I don't know for sure. But they taste good to me!
              No worries. I probably would just get whatever coffee is at the supermarket.

I was going to ask how much the flavors were noticable, but I could try some stuff. I meant to get a coffee maker when I was in school but never got to that task.

Comment

No worries. I probably would just get whatever coffee is at the supermarket.

I was going to ask how much the flavors were noticable, but I could try some stuff. I meant to get a coffee maker when I was in school but never got to that task.

The flavours are quite noticeable. Enough to know what you are drinking. I led a ladies Bible study for a long time years ago, and we met at the home of a woman from Trinidad Tobago.

That's where I learned that a little sprinkle of cinnamon in the coffee grounds before brewing is a wondrous thing. So there are ways to add flavour without buying the flavoured coffee if you think about it for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  My commute to work has been reduced from nearly an hour down to less than 11 minutes.
                  my commute has been reduced to ... wait ... I have no commute right now

Comment

Mr. mossy likes a vile flavour called Chocolate Raspberry Truffle, which smells nasty and moldy to me, and that only comes in the cups, too.
                    I'm not sure what truffle tastes like, but I'm sold alone on the chocolate and raspberry. Good stuff.

And don't forget about the Vanilla Biscotti flavour; another good one.
                    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I have a keurig. regular coffee in the morning, decaf in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                        I'm not sure what truffle tastes like, but I'm sold alone on the chocolate and raspberry. Good stuff.

And don't forget about the Vanilla Biscotti flavour; another good one.
                        Another one that you and your dad like, but I don't care for. Also only comes in the pods.

And don't forget your new penchant for Rainforest and maybe French roast!

Comment

I'll see what is available. But I would mainly just need a 4 cup unit or a k-cup. There's a competitor to that k-cup, isn't there?

Paper filtered methods are most common now. Is the coffee gritty when made with a metal filter instead?
                          If you're going with the k-cup, stick to the k-cup brand; the selection of coffee is better, because there are a ton of k-cup coffee makers on the market.

As for the filter, the metal one works really well. I suppose there might be a few out there which aren't good, but I'd had 3 coffee makers with a brass removable filter before, and the coffee was never gritty. Maybe a bit of silt at the bottom, even less than you'd get with a french press, and you'll never taste/feel it.

Comment

I just got a simple maker that does k-cup or coffee grounds. I mainly wanted the individual cup maker rather than one for 12 cups. There were too many and too few choices at the store.

The store ordered it online for me since they didn't have stock locally. I got a box of k-cups just to be ready when the coffee maker arrives.
                            Last edited by mikewhitney; 06-17-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

I just got a simple maker that does k-cup or coffee grounds. I mainly wanted the individual cup maker rather than one for 12 cups. There were too many and too few choices at the store.

The store ordered it online for me since they didn't have stock locally. I got a box of k-cups just to be ready when the coffee maker arrives.
                              Amazon has a good selection of the pods, and I have also ordered them from Keurig. If you can order enough to get free shipping it helps, and the cost isn't too bad.

But I like the reusable pod so you can use any coffee you like. It's certainly more economical to buy a pound of coffee rather than pods.

Comment

Amazon has a good selection of the pods, and I have also ordered them from Keurig. If you can order enough to get free shipping it helps, and the cost isn't too bad.

But I like the reusable pod so you can use any coffee you like. It's certainly more economical to buy a pound of coffee rather than pods.
                                This coffee maker has an interchangeable pod interface and coffee grounds unit. I don't think it uses a paper filter. I will likely use the cans of ground coffee. If I am home through the summer, I may need variety.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X