X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Confirmed - I'm a RACIST!

Hi, My name is Cow Poke.
    [HI Cow Poke!]
    I'm here tonight because.... well... I'm a racist.

When I was a little kid, and I'd do something stupid, my Dad would joke, "well, THAT was a bean-headed move".
    (let me clarify that my Dad was a wonderful Christian man, not a prejudiced bone in his body, NEVER swore, and I only saw him lose his temper one time)

He had this thing about "do you have BEANS in your head?" - indicating you did something without thinking it through.
    You have beans in your head instead of brains.
    Dad, of course, endured the great depression, and would tell stories of having nothing but beans to eat.

Butter beans, green beans, black beans, Cannelloni beans, Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, Lima beans, Pinto beans, Fava beans, Navy beans, Edamame beans, Soybeans... Any kind of beans you could grow, borrow, share, soak long enough in water to make them edible....

So, Dad, occasionally, if he caught you doing something dumb, would call out, "Hey Beaner, come here!"

Well, to my shame, my Granddaugter and I were at the High School prior to graduation, and we were walking to my truck.
    She asked if she could drive, and I said....

[gulping hard]

"Sure, beaner, you can drive".

She was absolutely stunned, and called "PAPA - that is SO RACIST!!!!!!"
    (she explained that was a racist name for Hispanics -- WHO KNEW!)

So,

here I am.

I'm a racist.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

That word's been around a long time.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      That word's been around a long time.
      Apparently so. I didn't know.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is kinda surprising that someone from Texas wasn't familiar with the term. Maybe other derogatory terms were more common there so you didn't come across it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          It is kinda surprising that someone from Texas wasn't familiar with the term.
          NEVER heard it in regards to Hispanics.

Then, again, I interact FAR more with blacks than I do Hispanics, and they (the blacks) use the N word all the time.

Maybe other derogatory terms were more common there so you didn't come across it.
          Yes, I'm familiar with quite a number of... not so polite terms... for Hispanics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            "Sure, beaner, you can drive"
            You were from Texas? And you didn't know beaner was a racial slur? Have you been told about the n-word yet? I'm just asking out of concern.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              You were from Texas?
              Are

And you didn't know beaner was a racial slur?
              Never heard that one, no. And I've been listening for it ever since - I don't hear it being used at all.

Have you been told about the n-word yet? I'm just asking out of concern.
              Oh, absolutely!!! I'm nearly 70 - when I was a kid, that word was commonly used by "the old folks" in a descriptive way just like we would say "black".
              I know that's hard to fathom, but it wasn't necessarily a racist hateful term.

During my life, blacks have been called, blacks (black is beautiful), Negroes (that was the proper term at one time - United Negro College Fund), Colored people (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), Persons of color, African-Americans..... In MY experience, even though the "older folks" used the term, the "N" word was NEVER acceptable.

Oddly enough, in my association with African-Americans, they routinely refer to each other as the "N" word.

Comment

Are

Never heard that one, no. And I've been listening for it ever since - I don't hear it being used at all.

Oh, absolutely!!! I'm nearly 70 - when I was a kid, that word was commonly used by "the old folks" in a descriptive way just like we would say "black".
                I know that's hard to fathom, but it wasn't necessarily a racist hateful term.

During my life, blacks have been called, blacks (black is beautiful), Negroes (that was the proper term at one time - United Negro College Fund), Colored people (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), Persons of color, African-Americans..... In MY experience, even though the "older folks" used the term, the "N" word was NEVER acceptable.

Oddly enough, in my association with African-Americans, they routinely refer to each other as the "N" word.
                And for a very short time in the mid 70s there was Afro-American

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  And for a very short time in the mid 70s there was Afro-American
                  Yes, hence the "afro" hairdoo.

Comment

What the heck is a Cannelloni bean?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

So,

here I am.

I'm a racist.
                      Eh, sorry. I win.

As a teen, I once said something like "Let's drive up to Compton and get some fried chicken" (Compton, California is a well-known black area). I was being serious because I wanted some chicken but my fellow passengers gasped. Racist by inference? There weren't any chicken places where we lived.

Come to learn there's a reason for the chicken disparity, as 75% of African Americans are lactose intolerant (a whopping 90% of Native Americans). So many years later when I mentioned going to eat at a Mexican restaurant for lunch to a black coworker, he said "I can't eat there" and he just assumed I knew that fact and what he meant*. At any rate, when lactose is removed from a person's diet, other food items will logically be more plentiful. Fried chicken.

So there. I'm more racist than you!

*Lots of cheese in Mexican food

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                        Eh, sorry. I win.

As a teen, I once said something like "Let's drive up to Compton and get some fried chicken" (Compton, California is a well-known black area). I was being serious because I wanted some chicken but my fellow passengers gasped. Racist by inference? There weren't any chicken places where we lived.

Come to learn there's a reason for the chicken disparity, as 75% of African Americans are lactose intolerant (a whopping 90% of Native Americans). So many years later when I mentioned going to eat at a Mexican restaurant for lunch to a black coworker, he said "I can't eat there" and he just assumed I knew that fact and what he meant*. At any rate, when lactose is removed from a person's diet, other food items will logically be more plentiful. Fried chicken.

I have you all beat.

Years ago we attended a church with one black couple and one mixed race couple. Good friends with both. Frankly, there aren't too many blacks (and I say "blacks" because I don't know what to call a person of colour in Canada..........African Canadian, I guess) in my small town, but things seemed fine.

One day we were lined up to leave the very small church in the centre aisle, and my husband noticed that I had a flake of mascara under my eye. The mixed race couple were standing in front of me. Mr. mossy said something to the effect of "what is that black thing?', and proceeded to wipe the speck from under my eye.

The black man turned toward us and gave us a look that could kill.

Apparently using the word "black" in any context, even 30 or so years ago, is verboten.

Wait, is verboten racist?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                          I have you all beat.

Years ago we attended a church with one black couple and one mixed race couple. Good friends with both. Frankly, there aren't too many blacks (and I say "blacks" because I don't know what to call a person of colour in Canada..........African Canadian, I guess) in my small town, but things seemed fine.

One day we were lined up to leave the very small church in the centre aisle, and my husband noticed that I had a flake of mascara under my eye. The mixed race couple were standing in front of me. Mr. mossy said something to the effect of "what is that black thing?', and proceeded to wipe the speck from under my eye.

The black man turned toward us and gave us a look that could kill.

Apparently using the word "black" in any context, even 30 or so years ago, is verboten.

Wait, is verboten racist?
                          Yikes! What happened after that? I mean, you said you were friends, right?

Comment

Eh, sorry. I win.

Ya live and learn!

Comment

Yikes! What happened after that? I mean, you said you were friends, right?
                              I don't remember rightly, I think we were fine, but not too long afterwards he sort of went very, extremely charismatic and our church was not.

He actually stood up and went up on the stage one Sunday right in the middle of the pastor's sermon and started to expound on the wonderfulness of speaking in tongues.

They left the church soon after that, and I've seen them once in a while since then, and they are friendly, so I guess it all turned out ok.

Comment