Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

An actual use of gaslighting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    I don't know I've met plenty of "pious" Christians (not you - you're genuine) who thought Christians can only say positive things about each other. And if they're downcast they're supposed to smile and "manifest that inner joy" etc. Made me wanna bash their guitar in on their heads.
    In my own experience such people tend to also believe that if you have anything wrong with you physically* it is because you "don't have enough faith".

*Well, long term. They usually think a broken arm or whatever is normal, but anything chronic with maybe the exception of cancer is somehow your fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      Ewww! Well, he lost his bid and went home.

I realize Libertarians are a bit whacko; lots of potheads and militia groups in there. Every party has their nuts.
      Yep. The Democrats have more than their share right now... and on the Republican side, a few QAnon supporters have started winning primaries (including for the US Senate race in Oregon). But third parties by their nature attract people with views that are, shall we say, different.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        In my own experience such people tend to also believe that if you have anything wrong with you physically* it is because you "don't have enough faith".

*Well, long term. They usually think a broken arm or whatever is normal, but anything chronic with maybe the exception of cancer is somehow your fault.
        On the website where I met the person who invited me here, there was a poster (I believe she admitted to attending Osteen's church in Houston) who was so fixated on Christians only being positive and upbeat that she was willing to throw Shakespeare under the bus. She had no answer to my retort that there's an entire book in the Bible called Lamentations.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          On the website where I met the person who invited me here, there was a poster (I believe she admitted to attending Osteen's church in Houston) who was so fixated on Christians only being positive and upbeat that she was willing to throw Shakespeare under the bus. She had no answer to my retort that there's an entire book in the Bible called Lamentations.
          Not really surprising sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I think Jed was one. But they have gone really left since the last election. Or maybe there are people out there who are just against big government and think they are Libertarian, but never checked into all the way. Or maybe there are two different Libertarians.

they sound reasonable until you dig deeper.
            The staff pharmacist I work with is a Libertarian, but yeah, the party has gone to anarchy and it bothers me....
            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
              The staff pharmacist I work with is a Libertarian, but yeah, the party has gone to anarchy and it bothers me....
              I'm a libertarian but with a small "L." When it comes to interacting with government I try to default to freedom. This means that on occasion I will support something that I may not approve of personally or participate in but just think it isn't the governments business.

An example of this is the lottery. I was a big-time supporter of legalizing it in my state back in 1992 but have only spent $13 playing it over the past 28 years. Personally I think it is essentially a tax on stupidity but just don't think the government should forbid it.

I have similar feelings about prostitution. I don't approve of it in any way but again just don't think it's the government's business -- except for helping to regulate it.

When Georgia was a solidly a red state (it is steadily becoming purple) I often voted for libertarian candidates. But the Libertarian Party has become increasingly flaky (at best) over the years.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I'm a libertarian but with a small "L." When it comes to interacting with government I try to default to freedom. This means that on occasion I will support something that I may not approve of personally or participate in but just think it isn't the governments business.

An example of this is the lottery. I was a big-time supporter of legalizing it in my state back in 1992 but have only spent $13 playing it over the past 28 years. Personally I think it is essentially a tax on stupidity but just don't think the government should forbid it.

I have similar feelings about prostitution. I don't approve of it in any way but again just don't think it's the government's business -- except for helping to regulate it.

When Georgia was a solidly a red state (it is steadily becoming purple) I often voted for libertarian candidates. But the Libertarian Party has become increasingly flaky (at best) over the years.
                Your small "L" libertarian approach sounds like the same thing to me. If my big "L" Libertarian Party has gone off the rails then it's my duty (in some small part) to stick it out and pull them back. That's what Tulsi Gabbard insists on doing with the Democratic Party.

But your prostitution example is a perfect subject for libertarianism. I don't condone it but the federal government doesn't have any business dealing with it. The states can - and do. Nevada allows both it and gambling, my state does not. That's the way I like it. The federal government should only be involved in matters that only the federal government can handle - or handle most practically.

Comment

I may "believe in" the Republic but that does not make me a member of the Republican Party. Likewise I may follow libertarian philosophy wrt government but that doesn't mean I'm part of the Libertarian Party.

I guess in some ways I might be more libertarian in the sense I don't think that the State (federal, state or local) should butt into areas that should be up to individuals to decide.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment