Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 599

Thread: Police guns down man after he tried to flee.

  1. #1
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,119
    Amen (Given)
    1161
    Amen (Received)
    3588

    Police guns down man after he tried to flee.

    Trying to find more sources for this one.

    Source: The Guardian

    Rayshard Brooks, 27, was shot dead on Friday night after police were called to the restaurant over reports that he had fallen asleep in the drive-through line. The incident, which was caught on video, looked set to fuel more nationwide demonstrations about the treatment of African Americans by police in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
    ...
    Video shot by a bystander captures Brooks struggling with two officers on the ground outside the Wendyís before breaking free and running across the parking lot with what appears to be a police Taser in his hand. A second video from the restaurantís cameras shows Brooks turning as he runs and possibly aiming the Taser at the pursuing officers before one of them fires his gun and Brooks falls to the ground.
    ...
    "You canít have it both ways in law enforcement," Stewart said. "You canít say a Taser is a non-lethal weapon ... but when an African American grabs it and runs with it, now its some kind of deadly, lethal weapon that calls for you to unload on somebody."

    © Copyright Original Source



    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-man-shot-dead

  2. #2
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,119
    Amen (Given)
    1161
    Amen (Received)
    3588
    Managed to snag the raw unedited bodycam video, I'll be looking at it later. Right now I don't know who is to blame here, I just want the facts up.

    (Warning: Violence and Profanity)

  3. #3
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,119
    Amen (Given)
    1161
    Amen (Received)
    3588
    The little I've watched so far seems to be fine the officer appears to have handled it quite well, he's calm and collected. I've only got three minutes in and I've got a lot of house cleaning and stuff today.

  4. #4
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    28,493
    Amen (Given)
    2270
    Amen (Received)
    5897
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Managed to snag the raw unedited bodycam video, I'll be looking at it later. Right now I don't know who is to blame here, I just want the facts up.

    (Warning: Violence and Profanity)
    Right you can't tell, he certainly did resist arrest and it look like the cops tried to use a stun gun first.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

  5. #5
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62,405
    Amen (Given)
    1252
    Amen (Received)
    22415
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Trying to find more sources for this one.

    Source: The Guardian

    Rayshard Brooks, 27, was shot dead on Friday night after police were called to the restaurant over reports that he had fallen asleep in the drive-through line. The incident, which was caught on video, looked set to fuel more nationwide demonstrations about the treatment of African Americans by police in the wake of the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.
    ...
    Video shot by a bystander captures Brooks struggling with two officers on the ground outside the Wendyís before breaking free and running across the parking lot with what appears to be a police Taser in his hand. A second video from the restaurantís cameras shows Brooks turning as he runs and possibly aiming the Taser at the pursuing officers before one of them fires his gun and Brooks falls to the ground.
    ...
    "You canít have it both ways in law enforcement," Stewart said. "You canít say a Taser is a non-lethal weapon ... but when an African American grabs it and runs with it, now its some kind of deadly, lethal weapon that calls for you to unload on somebody."

    © Copyright Original Source



    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-man-shot-dead
    According to the local ABC affiliate the deceased had failed a field sobriety test and was struggling with two officers -- both who had tased him to no effect.

    Here is the Associated Press version: Atlanta police chief resigns after fatal police shooting

    It appears that during the struggle, Brooks broke free, ran off and then turned and pointed something at one of the officers (which appears to have been one of the tasers that he took from one of the cops) resulting in the officer opening fire.

    I guess he should have waited to see what it was Brooks was aiming at them before responding.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  6. #6
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,119
    Amen (Given)
    1161
    Amen (Received)
    3588
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    It appears that during the struggle, Brooks broke free, ran off and then turned and pointed something at one of the officers (which appears to have been one of the tasers that he took from one of the cops) resulting in the officer opening fire.
    I have a hard time believing they couldn't tell it was one of their tasers he took. We've heard that excuse a hundred times before. Everything from a phone to a drivers license is apparently a gun.

    I guess he should have waited to see what it was Brooks was aiming at them before responding.
    I don't buy that they didn't know that it was just a tazer.

    Or, I don't know, they could have used rubber bullets. Or anything reasonable.
    Last edited by Leonhard; 06-14-2020 at 02:57 AM.

  7. #7
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62,405
    Amen (Given)
    1252
    Amen (Received)
    22415
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    I have a hard time believing they couldn't tell it was one of their tasers he took. We've heard that excuse a hundred times before. Everything from a phone to a drivers license is apparently a gun.



    I don't buy that they didn't know that it was just a tazer.

    Or, I don't know, they could have used rubber bullets. Or anything reasonable.
    First, he may have taken it from the other officer during the struggle. IOW, the one that fired the three rounds may not have been aware that Brooks had taken it. All he saw was someone aiming a weapon at him. Someone who was drunk and violent. Second, what the hell was Brooks thinking by pointing anything that looks like a gun at police officers he's been fighting with? That is a guaranteed way to get yourself shot.

    Finally, it's dark. Brooks spins around with a gun-like object in his hand and points it at you. Are you saying that the officer should wait until he knows exactly what is in this drunk, violent person's hands before reacting? Maybe he should wait and change ammo to rubber bullets during that time.
    Last edited by rogue06; 06-14-2020 at 03:44 AM.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  8. Amen Sparko, RumTumTugger, Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  9. #8
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    62,405
    Amen (Given)
    1252
    Amen (Received)
    22415
    Oh, and spinning around and taking aim at police with something hardly constitutes what the title of the thread says.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization thatís not the argument." --Tassman

  10. Amen Mountain Man amen'd this post.
  11. #9
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,119
    Amen (Given)
    1161
    Amen (Received)
    3588
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    First, he may have taken it from the other officer during the struggle.
    He did. That much is clear from testimony so far.

    IOW, the one that fired the three rounds may not have been aware that Brooks had taken it. All he saw was someone aiming a weapon at him. Someone who was drunk and violent. Second, what the hell was Brooks thinking by pointing anything that looks like a gun at police officers he's been fighting with? That is a guaranteed way to get yourself shot.
    I can't defend Brooks turning around and shooting, and I agree, that is a quick way to get yourself shot. However, it was a taser. And tasers aren't lethal weapons.

    Finally, it's dark. Brooks spins around with a gun-like object in his hand and points it at you. Are you saying that the officer should wait until he knows exactly what is in this drunk, violent person's hands before reacting? Maybe he should wait and change ammo to rubber bullets during that time.
    I don't think unless I get to be put in a similar position that I'll believe that they couldn't tell he was holding a taser.

    Secondly, I wasn't aware that lethal ammunition was default. Why even have rubber bullets if you're always going to use lethal ammunition?

  12. #10
    Technology Staff Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,119
    Amen (Given)
    1161
    Amen (Received)
    3588
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Oh, and spinning around and taking aim at police with something hardly constitutes what the title of the thread says.
    At the time those were the only facts I knew. A man had been gunned down while attempting to flee the police.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •